Article: Sherlock Holmes - PD ruling (US)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
J_N

Post by J_N »

Interesting article: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/27/sherlock-holmes-is-in-the-public-domain-american-judge-rules/?_r=0 I didn't know the estate was making claims... that could have been a bit not good for LV, right?
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We would always be OK becuase we only use his pre 1923 texts - I enjoy Laurie King's books where she uses the characters - other use them too , and I think that is what people were claiming copyright on - because he wasn't "fully developed" until Conan Doyle finished writimg about him.

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It's an interesting situation: the copyright on actual characters, as opposed to the texts in which they appear. I believe the same applies to Fu Manchu - i.e. his character is still "owned" by the Rohmer estate, though I cannot (at least, quickly) find definitive information on it.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

What would Disney have done if "Cinderella" and "The Sleeping Beauty" etc etc were held by the Grimm and Andersen estates :D ?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

What would Disney have done if "Cinderella" and "The Sleeping Beauty" etc etc were held by the Grimm and Andersen estates :D ?
Got the copyright law changed, I imagine.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
English Andrew

Post by English Andrew »

In the UK, the country of the author, all of Doyle's Holmes stories are public domain, as they are in almost every other country. This means non-US citizens can record the post 1923 stories for legamus.eu, as RuthieG is currently doing with The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes.