1 million Public Domain images

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The British Library has released into the Public Domain 1 million images taken from the pages of 17th, 18th and 19th century books. They are to be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary

They are looking for "new, inventive ways to navigate, find and display these 'unseen illustrations'." See this article: http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digital-scholarship/2013/12/a-million-first-steps.html
We are looking to crowdsource information about what is depicted in the images themselves, as well as using analytical methods to interpret them as a whole.
Cover makers may find this of particular interest. The images have been released into the Public Domain. Attribution would be appreciated but there is no obligation.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Awesome.

Slightly related - I have bought a book shaped cover for my e-book reader that is based on the scan of a cover from an old copy of Grimm's Fairy tales, taken from the British Library. It looks amazing - I got it as an early Christmas present for myself and I am very pleased with it.

There were other covers available - including Pride and Prejudice and Treasure Island. They were all very attractive, and they have a sticky pad inside to keep your reader in, and come in 2 different sizes, so they are suitable for any e-reader. (You can see the sort of thing I mean here.)

Apologies for the slight advertisement - I mostly want to brag about the nice thing I now have. And it is another use of the public domain images available to the British Library.
So little space, so much to say.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You weren't tempted by "A Very Naughty Girl" were you ? :D
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Ooh, why don't we have A Very Naughty Girl in our catalogue? Off to Book Suggestions I go...

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Wow! Thanks for posting this, Ruth.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Some very strange things come up in a Google search for A Very Naughty Girl. :shock:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

RuthieG wrote:The British Library has released into the Public Domain 1 million images taken from the pages of 17th, 18th and 19th century books. They are to be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary
Ruth
Ruth, Thanks for posting this interesting site!