Page 5 of 12

Posted: January 21st, 2007, 3:46 pm
by Starlite
AH Looks good. :thumbs:

Posted: January 21st, 2007, 4:10 pm
by Cloud Mountain
The author search IS terrific. I like it. Still, in an attitude of full disclosure, a closer look will show, for example, that a search by author does not really seem to be by author; it's really a search by project. For example, select the poetry genre and search by an author. You'll not see that author's poems, you'll only find completed "Works" with her/his title. It's the same situation with collections of short story collections of multiple authors or authors with collections of short stories or essays. One has to go to the collection to see what's in it.

Seachers will have to wait awhile for for further refinements. :)

Posted: January 21st, 2007, 5:44 pm
by kri
Cloud Mountain wrote:The author search IS terrific. I like it. Still, in an attitude of full disclosure, a closer look will show, for example, that a search by author does not really seem to be by author; it's really a search by project. For example, select the poetry genre and search by an author. You'll not see that author's poems, you'll only find completed "Works" with her/his title. It's the same situation with collections of short story collections of multiple authors or authors with collections of short stories or essays. One has to go to the collection to see what's in it.

Seachers will have to wait awhile for for further refinements.
Be patient Alan, all will come in time :)

Posted: January 21st, 2007, 5:50 pm
by thistlechick
actually, go do a title search for something like "The Gift of the Magi" and you'll see that they are now listing the title as part of a collection (instead of just the collection name) ... so I'm sure that we can expect the titles to do the same when an author search is performed... we're making progress =)

Posted: January 21st, 2007, 5:54 pm
by kri
thistlechick wrote:actually, go do a title search for something like "The Gift of the Magi" and you'll see that they are now listing the title as part of a collection (instead of just the collection name) ... so I'm sure that we can expect the titles to do the same when an author search is performed... we're making progress =)
Aha, that is right! Let me make sure there isn't an issue in the bug tracker for this, and will report one if there isn't. It's been so long I had forgotten we did that for title, and didn't think it would need to be done separately for author.

Posted: January 21st, 2007, 6:52 pm
by Cloud Mountain
kri wrote: Be patient Alan, all will come in time :)
Thanks K. :D

Posted: January 21st, 2007, 9:12 pm
by tis
12makoto wrote:
kri wrote:There is no title character limit.
I have a sneeky suspicion that the column in your database table may disagree with that. They usually tend to.
Technically true :). The project title and description fields are MySQL columns of type 'TEXT'. So there is a 65,535 character limit.

I suggest that that is equivalent to 'no limit' for our purposes, but I'm aware how dangerous statements like 'x ought to be big enough' are in software :) ! If we ever find it isn't enough, a couple of minutes work will increase it as much as needed, with a slight cost in increased index size (and corresponding slight impact on performance).

Posted: January 22nd, 2007, 6:27 am
by hugh
my physics profs will be relieved!

Posted: January 23rd, 2007, 7:17 am
by LibraryLady
hugh wrote:So we are now listing authors, and sorting by authors alphabetically! ... here is what you get if you browse "fiction"

http://librivox.org/newcatalog/search.php?cat=Fiction
Yea! Looks great. :D

Posted: January 27th, 2007, 8:01 pm
by Mark Turner
Great site. I download material to listen to at work all the time, so I'm constantly looking for "what's new?" In the new search feature, how about including a date added field. As books are added to the database, they'd get the current date. Then when you search, you could ask for everything since January 20, 2007 or everthing added in the last 10 days or something.

Keep up the great work!

Posted: January 27th, 2007, 8:09 pm
by kayray
Mark Turner wrote:Great site. I download material to listen to at work all the time, so I'm constantly looking for "what's new?" In the new search feature, how about including a date added field. As books are added to the database, they'd get the current date. Then when you search, you could ask for everything since January 20, 2007 or everthing added in the last 10 days or something.

Keep up the great work!
Oooooo I love this idea!

Posted: January 28th, 2007, 2:17 am
by earthcalling
That is a good idea, Mark.

In the meantime, there is an RSS feed of new releases on the home page. There's some manual work needed to get items onto the feed, so it's not in 'real time', but that's currently the place to look.

Posted: January 28th, 2007, 12:40 pm
by Mark Turner
Would there be a way to have a little program run once or twice a day that could automatically search the database for the five or ten newest entries? That program could then possibly update your RSS feed or main webpage (or an entirely separate "new release" page) automatically and remove some of the manual labor. I know it's a pain to manually update items.

Posted: January 28th, 2007, 12:46 pm
by Mark Turner
You might could even skip including a date totally (although that would give more flexibility). If the newest entries always go at the end of the database, and it's never re-sorted, then you could have a feature to show the latest ten or twenty entries. All it would have to do is jump straight to the end of the database and display the latest entries. No date comparison math at all.

Posted: January 28th, 2007, 9:22 pm
by kri
Mark Turner wrote:You might could even skip including a date totally (although that would give more flexibility). If the newest entries always go at the end of the database, and it's never re-sorted, then you could have a feature to show the latest ten or twenty entries. All it would have to do is jump straight to the end of the database and display the latest entries. No date comparison math at all.
Already in the works! Great suggestion :) We're just waiting on our "guy" Chris Goringe who basically does everything to work on that little bit.