The New Catalog is Official! (Feature Requests & Bugs)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
tis
Posts: 1277
Joined: September 26th, 2005, 3:53 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by tis » April 1st, 2007, 12:39 am

ChristianPecaut wrote:
If you leave all the fields blank and hit the "Search" button, you get all 861 "completed" and "in progress" works. Is that what you're looking for? Or did I misunderstand your suggestion?
Unless I am not pressing the right Search button -- leaving the fields empty returns a list of 861 books, but split up into 22 different lists, each on a separate link.

I am looking for the vanilla ASCII version of ALL the books on in one html file -- like Gutenberg, but with links thrown in. So that I can use the search in my browser to find any author/title.
I've added this to the feature request list - should be pretty straighforward.
[img]http://goringe.net/images/chris.png[/img]

kri
Posts: 5354
Joined: January 3rd, 2006, 8:34 pm
Location: Keene NH
Contact:

Post by kri » April 12th, 2007, 8:09 am

ChristianPecaut wrote:
If you leave all the fields blank and hit the "Search" button, you get all 861 "completed" and "in progress" works. Is that what you're looking for? Or did I misunderstand your suggestion?
Unless I am not pressing the right Search button -- leaving the fields empty returns a list of 861 books, but split up into 22 different lists, each on a separate link.

I am looking for the vanilla ASCII version of ALL the books on in one html file -- like Gutenberg, but with links thrown in. So that I can use the search in my browser to find any author/title.
Here: http://librivox.org/sandpit/librivox_catalog/search.php?show=10000&title=&author=&status=all&action=Search

jimmowatt
Posts: 1545
Joined: January 13th, 2006, 8:44 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by jimmowatt » May 1st, 2007, 11:19 pm

Re: the catalog

I wonder - would it be possible to have a drop down box in the genre search. Trying to guess what our genres are and typing it in is a rather hit and miss affair (well it is for me anyway).
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=75]Jim Mowatt[/url] - [url=http://historyzine.com]Historyzine - The History Podcast[/url]

Chrisczech
Posts: 366
Joined: December 29th, 2006, 9:54 am
Location: Under Heathrow flightpath, Hounslow UK
Contact:

Post by Chrisczech » May 2nd, 2007, 1:19 am

Further to the above:
Are all books given a genre? I searched all the listed genres and could not find a book which I read. Has it a different, unlisted, genre - or none?
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]

kri
Posts: 5354
Joined: January 3rd, 2006, 8:34 pm
Location: Keene NH
Contact:

Post by kri » May 2nd, 2007, 12:16 pm

Jim - There should be an issue reported in Mantis for a dropdown for Genre and Category, it just hasn't been done yet.

Chris - Not all works have been assigned a genre. We didn't assign genres to all of the old works when we were doing data entry transfering from the old to the new catalog. Also, I don't know how vigilant MCs are being about it now. I can say that I personally have been adding Genres to every project to the best of my ability. Every project should be in a Category though.

earthcalling
Posts: 6633
Joined: April 8th, 2006, 2:26 pm
Location: London, England

Post by earthcalling » May 2nd, 2007, 11:13 pm

Chrisczech wrote:Further to the above:
Are all books given a genre? I searched all the listed genres and could not find a book which I read. Has it a different, unlisted, genre - or none?
Chris,

What was the book?

David

Chrisczech
Posts: 366
Joined: December 29th, 2006, 9:54 am
Location: Under Heathrow flightpath, Hounslow UK
Contact:

Post by Chrisczech » May 3rd, 2007, 1:59 am

earthcalling wrote:
Chrisczech wrote:Further to the above:
Are all books given a genre? I searched all the listed genres and could not find a book which I read. Has it a different, unlisted, genre - or none?
Chris,

What was the book?

David
The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont by Robert Barr

My Jerome K Jerome reading shows up in two genres, though, so that compensates a little!
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]

ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8346
Joined: June 15th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by ezwa » May 3rd, 2007, 1:34 pm

Chrisczech wrote:Further to the above:
Are all books given a genre? I searched all the listed genres and could not find a book which I read. Has it a different, unlisted, genre - or none?
Chrisczech wrote:... The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont by Robert Barr ...
It had no genre. It now has short stories.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau


Lecteurs de poésie : RDV ici.
PIANIST(s) WANTED here.

Chrisczech
Posts: 366
Joined: December 29th, 2006, 9:54 am
Location: Under Heathrow flightpath, Hounslow UK
Contact:

Post by Chrisczech » May 3rd, 2007, 1:43 pm

thanks ezwa.

I wasn't complaining, just pointing out that the genre search did not catch every title.
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12167
Joined: November 22nd, 2005, 10:22 am
Location: Britain
Contact:

Post by Cori » May 27th, 2007, 12:31 am

When you do a search, and you either get results or not ... the Search Again page doesn't have any options for "Browse Entire Catalog, Recently Cataloged, More Search Options" ... which people might want *more* at that point, to fine-tune their hunt a bit.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

Planish
Posts: 433
Joined: March 17th, 2007, 7:59 pm
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Contact:

Post by Planish » May 27th, 2007, 3:31 pm

Oh.
An author search for either "Doyle" or "Conan" will both return "Conan Doyle, Sir Arthur," and "Doyle, Arthur Conan "
That's nice.

How about ...

an "alphabar" for author names, say, above or below the page-number bar? This:

1 ·2 ·3 ·4 ·...·14 ·15 ·16 ·17

becomes:

1 ·2 ·3 ·4 ·...·14 ·15 ·16 ·17
A·B·C·D·E·F·G·H·I·J·K·L·M·N·O·P·Q·R·S·T·U·V·W·X·Y·Z

I could be looking for an author who may be "McDonald" or "MacDonald", and I just want to jump to the "M" section. The "M"s currently span pages 8 to 11, which are "hidden" in the ellipsis.
It may take up a bit more page real estate, but at least it is never going to expand that way page numbers will.

Similarly spelling-challenged-hostile names: Defoe (versus Dafoe), Allan/Allen/Alan, Austen (vs Austin), Bennett/Bennet, Del Rey (vs Del Ray), Haggard (vs Haggerd), etc. An alpha-bar would make it easy to find those.
There is no frigate like a book / To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page / Of prancing poetry.

kri
Posts: 5354
Joined: January 3rd, 2006, 8:34 pm
Location: Keene NH
Contact:

Post by kri » May 27th, 2007, 4:05 pm

Planish wrote:Oh.
An author search for either "Doyle" or "Conan" will both return "Conan Doyle, Sir Arthur," and "Doyle, Arthur Conan "
That's nice.

How about ...

an "alphabar" for author names, say, above or below the page-number bar? This:

1 ·2 ·3 ·4 ·...·14 ·15 ·16 ·17

becomes:

1 ·2 ·3 ·4 ·...·14 ·15 ·16 ·17
A·B·C·D·E·F·G·H·I·J·K·L·M·N·O·P·Q·R·S·T·U·V·W·X·Y·Z

I could be looking for an author who may be "McDonald" or "MacDonald", and I just want to jump to the "M" section. The "M"s currently span pages 8 to 11, which are "hidden" in the ellipsis.
It may take up a bit more page real estate, but at least it is never going to expand that way page numbers will.

Similarly spelling-challenged-hostile names: Defoe (versus Dafoe), Allan/Allen/Alan, Austen (vs Austin), Bennett/Bennet, Del Rey (vs Del Ray), Haggard (vs Haggerd), etc. An alpha-bar would make it easy to find those.
A browse feature is in the works. I can't give you a time period, but it'll be for title and author.

Also, partial searches work, so if you want an author that may either be mcdonald or macdonald, just type "donald".

kri
Posts: 5354
Joined: January 3rd, 2006, 8:34 pm
Location: Keene NH
Contact:

Post by kri » May 27th, 2007, 4:06 pm

Cori wrote:When you do a search, and you either get results or not ... the Search Again page doesn't have any options for "Browse Entire Catalog, Recently Cataloged, More Search Options" ... which people might want *more* at that point, to fine-tune their hunt a bit.
Noted.

ExEmGe
Posts: 1622
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 9:26 am
Location: Tring U.K.
Contact:

Post by ExEmGe » June 19th, 2007, 9:12 am

Is there any chance at some stage of a downloadable tab deliminated file showing Title, Author (&author last name if poss.), genre and running time such as 'Audible' offer ? Suitable for import to a spreadsheet.
Regards
Andy Minter

gypsygirl
Posts: 8656
Joined: June 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Location: British expat in Waco, TX
Contact:

Post by gypsygirl » June 25th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Would there be any way to show in the results list what's a solo project and what's collaborative?
Karen S.

Post Reply