What challenges do you have while preparing a recording?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
blakeley

Post by blakeley »

I don't have much of a speaking voice, but I'd love to use my skills to help LibriVox however possible! I'm a software guy. I'd like to make some web service that helps Librivox readers make recordings. With that in mind, help me help you: what challenges do you have while preparing a recording?

Although I haven't done this yet myself, I imagine the main difficulties you have are in organizing and editing multiple long audio files. So, for example, in editing, if you notice you mispronounced a word, you might want to record again that one sentence and splice it in with the rest of the recording. Is that especially difficult to do or do you have a tool that makes it easy to do even with multiple times? If you have someone help you with editing, do you have any easy way to share files, discuss changes, and revert edits? When you finally submit the files to LibriVox, is it difficult to organize everything together to fit the required format?

In particular, perhaps you could tell me what tools you currently use and if they work perfectly for you or what they could do instead to make your recording easier?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Although there are some other answers, Audacity is the answer for most of us. It allows us to do almost everything you suggest. It works on anything PC. And it is free.

As for file sharing, mp3 files are what we almost always use because they are so standard. Regardless of how whatever we use to record and edit keeps its files organized (Audacity apparently is very complicated) when we upload and download mp3s it works fine. Even though we could probably save a file conversion step and the resulting small amount of added noise by switching to some other formats (for example, if multiple files are going to be edited together), standard is, well, standard.

By the way, don't sell your voice short. EVERYONE here hates or hated their voice in their initial recordings. (And it isn't that our voices get better - we just discover that our recordings are considered acceptable to others!) If you still hate your voice, make your hated voice an asset and look for roles in some of our dramatic works that really need that hated high-squeaky-low-frog-croak (or whatever) voice that you (incorrectly) think you have.

Thanks, Todd
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

A free web service some of us use that supplies some of what you mention is auphonic.com
It allows for conversions and uploads after doing post-production on an edited file.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It's a very kind offer, and I have been struggling to think of something :). The truth is, I have been recording so long now that I have found ways within Audacity to do everything I need to do and am probably too set in my ways to change.

By the way, I never thought I had much of a speaking voice either :). I sometimes think of digging out from the attic some ancient cassettes I made for my son 30 years ago to see how it has changed.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding