Can they do this???

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
bropops4

Post by bropops4 »

I was trying to discover why the Latin recording of Vergil's Aeneid that I did for Librivox a little over a year ago had been downloaded a fair number of times. A Google search under the Librivox catalogue name, Aeneidis Libri XII, revealed that the recording I did, some 15 hours and change and much work for dedicated PLer Kajo, is available on Librophile, Pinterest, Podcast and iTorrent. I realize that you make your baby then send it out into the cruel world, but this does seem a bit unfair to LV. malone
carolb

Post by carolb »

Can they do this???
'Fraid so Malone :cry: In every recording we are required to say THIS RECORDING IS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN - ALL LIBRIVOX RECORDINGS ... etc.

We are acknowledging that anyone, anywhere, any time can do any thing to our recordings.

Carol
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

WE gain too from it - many people download our files from apps, roku, iTunes . Archive and spome of them come and record.
But as Carol says anyone can do anything - it's like giving presents, once out of your hands they can finsh up anywhere

Anne
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i listened to my first librivox recording on another site than librivox, the disclaimer brought me here.

but i agree with you that it seems weird, i especially dislike the sites that give themselves something semi-official though we are in no way affiliated with them.
Carolin
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I just discovered the many YouTube channels with thousands of our recordings that people have. CCProse is one of the best in my opinion although I've only actually looked at a few. It puts the words right on the screen to follow the voice so it must take a bit of work. Truthfully, it makes me kinda proud to see our great work spread like that.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I'd better say that this is a personal opinion, admin hat off Image.

For me, it's all about added value, real added value.

I have some respect for eBay sellers who burn our recordings to audio CD and sell these for little more than the cost of the media. It's a service we cannot provide ourselves.

I have less respect for eBay sellers who simply burn our MP3 files to CD or DVD.

I have no respect at all for any sellers on Amazon or eBay who attempt to sell our recordings, often with no mention of LibriVox, for a large amount of dosh, or those who try to sell them on Audible. Fortunately Audible (with a little help ;)) has now cottoned on to this.

I have respect for people on YouTube (like CCProse) who take the trouble to sync audio with text.

I'd better not say what I feel for those who stick up a splash screen and nothing else, and simply make money from YouTube advertising for people to listen to our MP3s. They know who they are. So do I.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding