Does everyone use Audacity?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

I'm just curious: does anyone use another program to record/edit in, and why do they prefer it?
What am I up to?
Amelia Vol. 2 - 10 sections open
kayray

Post by kayray »

I don't use Audacity (except rarely, if I need noise-cleaning). I use Sound Studio (mac only). It's not free, but I much prefer the interface. It's super-stable, too; I've never lost a recording. I love it!

http://felttip.com/ss/
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I used SoundStudio exclusively for a long time. It is great: simple, stable and very easy to use. Now I record using Reaper, which is inexpensive and supports punch-recording (meaning I edit as I record rather than after). For final edit and mastering I use Twisted Wave (Mac only). It's actually very similar to SoundStudio, but has some features I like, including file analysis and the ability to save filter stacks. Also not free, but inexpensive.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Cori

Post by Cori »

I use Adobe Soundbooth (now discontinued.) I like that it's totally configured to suit my taste (for example, V to paste, left and right small-mouse-buttons to zoom in and out, etc.) The spectrum feature is nice, since it allows me to do some interesting kinds of edits, like damping down door-slamming neighbours or over-noisy seagulls, without affecting my voice (much) or the duration of the recording.

I find it much finer-grained than Audacity, easier to fossick about in. I always noiseclean in Audacity, but that's it.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
WinBear

Post by WinBear »

I use Goldwave. I switched to that once Cool Edit 2000 became unusable.
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

I use Audacity, but I've heard of some LVers using GarageBand.
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
DrewJ

Post by DrewJ »

I used Audacity for editing sound clips long before I came here, and I've never considered using another program, though I'm sure other good ones for Windows exists. I am particularly fond of the de hiss/buzz feature in Audacity, it has made many a lp/cassette sound clear again. (Yes, I still have a large collection of LPs.)
When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won. -Second Witch
Read some poetry?
MultiMrWeb

Post by MultiMrWeb »

LibbyG wrote:I'm just curious: does anyone use another program to record/edit in, and why do they prefer it?
it is the most comon recording software out there and is very stable.

it is supported here becausu most of us use it, Me included.
Sincerely, Me
-----------------------------------
The Would You Rather Topic (Forum Game)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hobbit wrote:I use Audacity, but I've heard of some LVers using GarageBand.
GarageBand comes free with Macs - it is set up to be what it's name implies.
I'm not a Mac user , and have tried at times to find out some hints from LVers about using it for here , but the advice is always change , it's not suitable for voice work

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The great disadvantage with GarageBand is its lack of easy and effective noise-cleaning. It has some features that can be used, like EQ, but you need a fair amount of knowledge to use them. So, fine if you don't have any background noise at all, otherwise to be avoided.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
exweedfarmer

Post by exweedfarmer »

I'm new here so maybe I'm speaking out of turn. Audacity is great but not meant for audio book recording. Is there nothing that lets you punch-in on the fly or edit out a mouth click. (I hate mouth clicks!) I make so many reading mistakes that if I had to do the editing post recording it would have a very patch-worked sound to it. Is there software at any price made expressly for audio books?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sjmarky has posted above about what he uses. We don't insist on people using anything , but Audacity is free, has good noisecleaning - and has people here who use it and can give advice for new users - a really good program for people to start recording with . Professional audiobooks are recorded by sound engineers :D so I doubt there would be a specific program for them. Everyone finds things that suit them and things they hate about every program - I can't imagine wanting to edit as I go, I'd sooner concentrate on the flow of the text - but I know there are people who do :D - and there are some who never make mistakes - or at least sound that way when you proof listen :D

Anne
DrewJ

Post by DrewJ »

exweedfarmer wrote:I'm new here so maybe I'm speaking out of turn. Audacity is great but not meant for audio book recording. Is there nothing that lets you punch-in on the fly or edit out a mouth click. (I hate mouth clicks!) I make so many reading mistakes that if I had to do the editing post recording it would have a very patch-worked sound to it. Is there software at any price made expressly for audio books?
Hold shift and press record and you can punch-in.

Highlight the click by clicking and dragging on the timeline, and then press the Del key.

If your mouth clicks are all the same, highlight one, then go to the Effect menu tab -> Noise Removal, and click 'Get Noise Profile'
Next Select the whole track (Ctrl+A), and then go back to the Noise Removal menu, and press Ok.
Last edited by DrewJ on November 23rd, 2013, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won. -Second Witch
Read some poetry?
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

exweedfarmer wrote:Is there nothing that lets you punch-in on the fly or edit out a mouth click.
I have a hotkey script that lets me 'punch-in on the fly' using Audacity.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

DrewJ wrote:Hold shit and press record and you can punch-in.
Hehehe. Thank you Drew for my giggle of the day. :lol:

(Now do we need a thread for typo bloopers?)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart