*FORUM BACK UP, SOME ISSUES* Read about new website here

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
smike

Post by smike »

I've only just seen the edit in the first post, so sorry I mentioned the catalogue pages, it wasn't meant as a criticism, or me being impatient. :oops:
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I only just made the edit in the top post, Claudia :lol:.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

After a cursory glance I must that I like the new Catalogue :) It looks tidy and I like it that the covers are visible already after clicking the author's name.
One thing I don't understand is that, confusingly, many of the languages whose names are displayed appear not to be represented in the catalogue. It may be that these "empty" languages are represented solely by works included in collections, but that's where the second problem appears. When you click on the triangle next to the language name, these short works don't appear, and you can only see solos and group works. It is only through "advanced search" that these small recordings can be found.
Last edited by Piotrek81 on September 6th, 2013, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Piotrek,

I'm glad you like the design. Given the increased use of tablets and smart phones, we wanted something that would load well on those new devices, while at the same time being attractive and inviting for those who access the site through laptops and desktops. It is a balance, but I think the team has found a good middle ground.

As to your comment on languages in the search, that is an issue the team is aware of and has been working on for a while now. It may take a while longer to get it fully sorted, but progress is being made.

MaryAnn
jondalar1988

Post by jondalar1988 »

Not sure I'm posting this in the proper place, but for the past several days I've not been able to see any
of the Magic Windows. That is, they are all blank. Makes it difficult to know which roles are taken, etc.
Not sure whether the problem is on my end or yours. And, if on my end, what to do to correct it. Other
than that everything looks normal.....and I like the new look of the site.
-Ron Altman-

"The significance of man is his awareness of his insignificance!"
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That was addressed here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=48102

We expected that common problem to be fixed with this changeover; it hasn't been. We'll wait until our sysadmin wakes up from his long night and see if it is still on the list to be fixed. :) In the meantime, you can fix it as outlined in the post above.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
francesb

Post by francesb »

Wow! The new site is amazing! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: for all our moderators!
Frances Brown
“Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting" -John Green
jondalar1988

Post by jondalar1988 »

Tricia,
Thanks. I found the solution after doing some checking. (note to self: do more checking before posting!)

You guys are awesome! :clap: :clap:
-Ron Altman-

"The significance of man is his awareness of his insignificance!"
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It is believed that the readers' pages/searching by reader issue is now fixed. :thumbs:
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Vandermast

Post by Vandermast »

Assuming this is the place for comments and suggestions on the new site:

When a search turns up something that's part of a collection, the download link is for the entire collection, and is thus very large. This might be off-putting, or might lead to unnecessary downloads (eating bandwidth at both ends). For instance, if I search for "Henry Mayhew", it's obvious to us regulars that the two results (recorded by yours truly :mrgreen: ) are short pieces that can be downloaded separately, but the general listener may not realise this and assume that the initially displayed download link is the only option. A little explanation above the list might address this, something like:
Download links shown are for the entire volume. Click on the title to select individual chapters or pieces.
Will the other audio formats be returning? At present, there appears to be no option but MP3, in unspecified quality.

I search for "E R Eddison" and "ER Eddison" and got no results. Yet "Eddison" turned up The Worm Ouroboros (which seems to have been recorded by ME, well I never! :mrgreen: ). Likewise I got no results for "c dickens" and simulated typo "charle dickens". Perhaps the search algorithm could be a little more generous, returning 'near' results as well as exact ones?

And when I did find Dickens (search: "dickens"), it seemed that there wasn't much there: the link near the bottom covering "97 books"(!) is easy to miss. Perhaps links like that should go at the top?

When looking at a genre or a reader, it might be helpful to be able to alphabetise by author as well as title, and to list by publication date of the original text as well as by what I presume is the Librivox release date.

On the alphabetical list of authors it would be nice to have links to the first letter of the surname.

Take-home message: The page design is admirably clean and clear, attractive yet unobtrusive, and the format of the display of results (notwithstanding caveats above) is very helpful. The thumbnails are a very nice touch. :clap: :clap: :clap:

(And who knew we had an Erotica section?! :P )
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Thanks for the feedback!

Vandermast wrote: Download links shown are for the entire volume. Click on the title to select individual chapters or pieces.
Will the other audio formats be returning? At present, there appears to be no option but MP3, in unspecified quality.
The ogg files are still available on the internet archive details page. For new projects, there will also be an VBR mp3 option. On the catalog page you have all the rest of the options the same as before. 64kbps (from the play button) or 128kbps (from the chapter title) mp3 files in the chapter download table; Download buttons for zipfiles, RSS, iTunes and torrents are on the left of the page; and under links is the link to the archive page and the M4B catalog if an M4B is available. Download options are explained in detail on the Help page which you can get to from the Help link at the top right of each page. http://librivox.org/pages/help/
And when I did find Dickens (search: "dickens"), it seemed that there wasn't much there: the link near the bottom covering "97 books"(!) is easy to miss. Perhaps links like that should go at the top?
The combined search returns hits in (1) individual project title names, (2) group title names, (3) reader names and (4) author names in that order and then sorted alphabetically within each by of those categories.
Jo
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OK, something I'm noticing (put it way down on the bottom of the to-do list) - when I click on a link in the forum (e.g. "view your posts" or to go to a specific page in a thread, or a different forum - but not to open a thread), it is opening a new tab, whereas previously it would just go to the new page within the same tab - sorry, I don't know the technical names/details for this. As I say, a minor irritation, not a major issue as far as I'm concerned 8-)
Lynne
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Nothing has changed on our end with the forum Lynne. Could your default browser settings have changed?
Jo
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:Nothing has changed on our end with the forum Lynne. Could your default browser settings have changed?
Who knows? I have not (knowingly) changed anything... but it has happened that I've unwittingly changed things before :roll: . I'll get someone to check things out over the weekend. Thanks for your reply.
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

A comment about browsing the catalogue.

I click on Genre, I scroll down, I think Children's fiction > poetry sounds interesting. I click on it. I see nothing I fancy. I go to click the back button... and it's greyed out (or, if I was looking at a particular item before I started browsing genres, it takes me to that item). There seems to be no way to go back to the genre page without clicking on the genre tag again. This would be fine, except I go right back to the top of the page rather than to where I'd scrolled to, which is what would happen if I could click back. Only mildly annoying but I thought I'd mention it.

Also Children's non-fiction, A Prairie- Schooner Princess, which is apparently in progress, does not take me to the project thread, it takes me back to browse by author.

I also can't help feeling that the general category of Children's non-fiction should contain all the children's non-fiction, rather than the 6 books that apparently don't fit into more specific categories. Same with Children's fiction, especially as Children's fiction > general also exists as a category. As a first time listener I'd assume these two 'umbrella' terms would include all the children's books between them, rather than having to click on a category to find some of the others.

It's slightly unfortunate that when browsing by author the first four listed don't appear to have written anything:
FAA (1958 - )

Completed: 0 books | In progress: 0 books
more results
Carel Steven Adama van Scheltema (1877 - 1924)

more results
錢起 (? - ?)

more results
4th Earl of Chesterfield (1694 - 1773)

(There are associated books if you click on them, but a first time user wouldn't know that. I'm also not sure why the first two end up at the start of the alphabet.

Also I used to be able to use this string: http://librivox.org/newcatalog/search_advanced.php?show=10000&title=&author=&cat=&genre=&status=all&type=&language=&date=&reader=&bc=&mc=&action=Search to show all the books at once, now I can't see how to list more than 25 a page.

When browsing by author you can't jump to a specific letter - I can't remember if you used to be able to, I think not, but it would be a useful feature. (Same with alphabetical titles)

Sorry for posting such a long list of complaints, they really are only tiny niggles, for the most part the update is a great improvement. They layout of the catalogue pages is much improved, and having a working genre search at all is really great. Thank you to all the technical people and admins who helped make it happen.

EDIT: Also I'm not sure why the genre of non-fiction and all its subcategories have a * before them, none of the others do.

Also, also, even if you separate out dramatic readings from plays I'm sure we've more than 26. I just checked and I know we did Pride and Prejudice because I helped coordinate it, and that's not on there. I suspect that since a lot of the early ones didn't have (dramatic reading) in the title, they've not been tagged. If I come across any others that should be in there I'll let you know.
So little space, so much to say.