LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 6:15 am


Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 

Author Message
Offline
Post Posted:: November 16th, 2013, 3:42 pm 

Joined: November 16th, 2013, 3:49 am
Posts: 7
Hi everybody,

I`m new here, writing from Germany!

I`m curious to meet some of you and share some thoughts... :birthday:

So, I found Librivox one day when I was ill and unable to go to work or to read a book. :help: I started to listen to Don Quijotte - and his adventures very much gave me pleasure when I needed it.

And I realized that I preferred normal people reading to professional actors. (I wonder if anyone shares this feeling?) Well, at least really famous actors have voice-coaches who tell them how to pronounce things and very little individual thought goes into their work, although it is, of course, "professional".

My interest and my idea go in the direction that through recording, listening and re-recording - one can get a better personal understanding of the work one is reading. For me, it is a reflection of the thought-emotions that are in a work and the "test-tube" - to see what resonates with you, what comes out of the meeting of a dead author and a live reader... And reading out loud (or reciting from memory) can give real insights, on both people involved - at least - and hopefully a ready listener will join the experience!

I remember that I used to recite some poems by E.A. Poe to myself for years - until one day I realized that I didn`t "need" these states of mind anymore and I rid myself of the horror, that it had indeed been to me. But it takes time to notice these things. Many years...

Another excellent way of getting more of a hold of what you are wanting to read - is, of course, translating it into another language. That way your are sure to come as close as you can to the meaning.

So many people are content with just hovering over some pages... And they do not know what they have seen or heard...

Glad to meet you guys!
Greetings,

Anais


Last edited by anais111 on November 16th, 2013, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: November 16th, 2013, 3:56 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: April 17th, 2008, 8:41 am
Posts: 22086
Location: Kent, England
Quote:
one can get a better personal understanding of the work one is reading.


Absolutely! My thoughts in a nutshell. You actually understand and think about what you are reading when you are recording a book. You appreciate nuances of meaning. You have to discern what an author was trying to convey. You have to think about which words in a sentence are the important part that needs emphasis. You feel the emotion in the characters. I could go on...

Some people read just to get to the end of the story, to find out what 'happens'. I have never been like that, even when reading to myself. I like to savour the prose, to explore the meaning, to delve into the characters. So recording and thinking in depth about what I record suits me very well. It does not, I have to admit, make for a very speedy recording process ;).

Ruth

_________________
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: November 16th, 2013, 4:06 pm 

Joined: November 16th, 2013, 3:49 am
Posts: 7
RuthieG wrote:
Quote:
It does not, I have to admit, make for a very speedy recording process ;).
Ruth



Hi Ruth,

that`s alright with me, though. Since my interest is mainly avant-gardist American poetry of the beginning of the 20th century, there is no haste ;) There isn`t even a possibility of it, since you must really figure out how to pronounce things and so on... or what the hells-bells is this guy or the other happens to be talking about... The melody comes easy to me - but all the rest - oh, help!

:hmm:


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: November 16th, 2013, 7:06 pm 

Joined: June 24th, 2012, 10:28 pm
Posts: 1351
Location: Australia
anais111 wrote:
Hi everybody,

And I realized that I preferred normal people reading to professional actors. (I wonder if anyone shares this feeling?)



I have occasionally expressed that very thought so it's nice to know I'm not alone. I enjoy listening to scientists, musicians usw reading prepared and practised scripts about their interests/work on the radio but book readings by professional actors tend to depress and bore me. I'm not sure why.

Quote:

My interest and my idea go in the direction that through recording, listening and re-recording - one can get a better personal understanding of the work one is reading. For me, it is a reflection of the thought-emotions that are in a work and the "test-tube" - to see what resonates with you, what comes out of the meeting of a dead author and a live reader... And reading out loud (or reciting from memory) can give real insights



I think that's true for good writing. It greatly enhances my enjoyment of poetry and humour!

Quote:

Another excellent way of getting more of a hold of what you are wanting to read - is, of course, translating it into another language.



Errr. You can have that on your own anais111.

Best,

Barbara


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group