More consistent tags for published recordings?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl » July 17th, 2013, 9:06 am

Hi all

I've been doing some work on trying to analyse volumes of recordings and downloads out there by genre (see thread viewtopic.php?f=24&t=47275).

In trying to do this, I've discovered that it is made extremely difficult due to the very haphazard way in which recordings are tagged.

I don't know if this will be changed in the new software release, but if not then I suggest it would be beneficial to make the process more standard.

The ideal would be to have a set of standard categories that are marked against each recording like in a normal database. In the absence of this, then a set of guidelines to ensure that a minimum set of tags get added would help later analysis hugely.

For example, there are lots of FICTION recordings not tagged with FICTION or LITERATURE (but only MYSTERY, ROMANCE or such). Similarly most NONFICTION recordings do not have the tag NONFICTION. Some recordings have no tags at all (!) and some are merely tagged with the Author and Title, no categories.

It would be a big job to sort this out retrospectively (there are at a guess 500-800 poorly-tagged titles out there out of 6800), but if we fixed it now, the percentage would go down in a year or two.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find it on this forum.

Cheers, Chris.

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » July 17th, 2013, 10:18 am

We are currently going through 7000 recordings, allocating/checking genres and adding keywords to each one of them. Need I say more?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl » July 17th, 2013, 10:23 am

No indeed!

ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl » July 17th, 2013, 12:04 pm

P.S. I'd be happy to lend a hand if it's not an admin-only task

Chris

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 17th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Thanks, but it's admin-only. :)
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
The Medici family history: LINK

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » July 17th, 2013, 12:50 pm

(It involves full access to all the files and records metadata, not just the tagging side of things. ;))
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!