BC's PLEASE READ (starting new projects and Mellon update)

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Anything cataloged after July 11 will have to be re-cataloged by hand in the new system, so some MC's will prefer to wait and do it once. Others will choose do it twice so that the book can be available to listeners right away. We haven't really discussed it (or figured out how time-consuming the double cataloging will be :)), so I think it'll just be individual choice by the MC's.

edit: Oh, that's true, MaryAnn, they'll still be available via Archive if we catalog them in the new system but not the old... but I guess they'd be easier for some listeners to find on an LV catalog page. I haven't decided what I'll do yet. Cross that bridge. :)
Laurie Anne
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

How will covers be affected? Thanks,
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's easy with the thread to run through and check they are present for those added after the day when the new catalogue is open - so just add them to the thread now :D

Anne
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello,

Let's think out a better solution.

Projects are managed by ID numbers.
Jul/11 means roughly Projects whose ID is smaller than 8033 are transfered to the new database.

1)
This means Projects greater than 8033 can be automatically transfered from the current one to the
new one.
We just need to modify the script as 'Select * from * where 8033 < ID'.

2)
Problems are occured mainly for those with smaller IDs.
So if Admins modify data only those whose ID are smaller than 5000 on the new database,
projects whose ID is greater than 5000 can be automatically transfered from the current one to
the new one.

3)
If data fix is done on the current system, all data can be transfered to the new system daily.
When you find a problem on the new system, you fix the data on the current system.
The next day data is synchronized, so the data on the new system is also fixed.
'Fix the source' is the best way.

How do you think?

Cheers,
Masa
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The programmer is fully occupied with other things. Please accept that all possibilities such as you suggest have been considered.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think that someone looking in from the outside cannot understand all the details of the issue.

Please, Masa - at this time, your suggestions are not helpful.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Masa,

Thank you for your suggestions, but it's not as straightforward as you might think. You will just have to trust that we are doing this in the best possible manner even if it sounds like that's not the case to you. "Fix the source" in this case is not going to work and would actually be more work than the way we are doing it.

Jo
Jo
Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 »

Posted by Laurie Anne's request:

From peppersnoodles93: Quick question. Everything we are BCing now, WE will have to re-enter in the NEW system or will that get transferred over? Is it helpful to get books finished up?
Thanks!
Those are great questions! If it's OK with you I'll post this exchange in the forum so others will see the answers too.

We are now essentially running two databases: the original one (which is still live) and the new one (which is pending). Everything that you entered into a MW before July 11 transferred over to the new system automatically, though all the BC's will need to double check for errors when the new MW's are available. Everything you enter on July 11 or later will need to be re-entered into the new MW by hand, and yes, the BC's will need to do that themselves.

For projects that are ready for cataloging before the changeover, it will be up to the MC to decide how to proceed. Projects that were cataloged before July 11 are in the new system already (though there are changes being made by hand to all their catalog pages). Anything cataloged in the OLD system after July 11 will have to be re-cataloged in the NEW system manually, by the MC. Some MC's may decide to catalog them in the old system anyway so they'll be available to listeners for these few weeks before the change, and then catalog them again in the new system; others may prefer to wait and catalog them once. So you might ask your MC how you should proceed. My own opinion is that maintaining the usual pace is probably fine (with the exception of not starting new projects to avoid having to fill in your MW from scratch twice; at least I won't be starting any quite yet ).

~Kim
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Ruth san, Tricia san & Jo san,

Thank you for you message.
There are lots of IT engineers. There are clever programmers, experienced engineers etc.
I believe they are happy to cooperate.

The following are basics.
1) We should give priority for recordings. We should not suppress recording.
2) Information entered into the database can be transfered into another database.
3) Manually input makes the situation worse.
knotyouraveragejo wrote:but it's not as straightforward as you might think.
Can't you elaborate this? With more information I'll try to find out a better solution.

Sounds like several things can be fixed after moving to the new system.
Even though 'Author' is shown undefined, even though genre is not correct, we can use the new system.

Cheers,
Masa
Cori

Post by Cori »

Thankyou for offering, Masa san. But no, we can't elaborate and we're moving on with the upgrade as previously described.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

Peppersnoodles93 wrote:Posted by Laurie Anne's request:

From peppersnoodles93: Quick question. Everything we are BCing now, WE will have to re-enter in the NEW system or will that get transferred over? Is it helpful to get books finished up?
Thanks!
Those are great questions! If it's OK with you I'll post this exchange in the forum so others will see the answers too.

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Haha, answered my questions to!
~Tiffany
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Cori san,

Thank you for your message.
Cori wrote:But no, we can't elaborate and we're moving on with the upgrade as previously described.
Cheers,
Masa
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

I presume we don't need to back up any of the audio files we've already uploaded, right?
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Correct; they'll be accessible - hopefully to everyone, but definitely to the MC.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart