Popularity statistics?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Hi

I'm curious to know download volumes, both by genre and individual titles. Is this info available somewhere as I can't find anything more recent than 2005?

Thanks, Chris
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We don't keep them - Archive has download figures for projects , which are a fairly rough guide (if you download a zip file that's 1 download , if you listened to a chapter a day of a 40 chapter book , that's 40 downloads. If you listend to the first chapter and hated it , that is one download too
It doesn't include the M4B files , I'm not sure what happens with bit-torrents. And of course something that was catalogued in June 2013 has had less time to accumulate downloads
You can get all the projects at Archive and sort them in download order or anything if you want to play around with the searches

Anne
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

ccfpcl wrote:Hi

I'm curious to know download volumes, both by genre and individual titles. Is this info available somewhere as I can't find anything more recent than 2005?

Thanks, Chris
Chris,

At the end of 2005 Librivox had produced 30 titles. The 7,000 title will probably be available later this year making this a more complex question now that Librivox has grown. In addition, there is more than one way to get a Librivox recording so you will get differing numbers depending on your source or point of view (Librivox Catalog pages, Internet Archive pages. M4B wiki, iTunes store, third party apps, CD sold online) not all of which are easily trackable.

Here is some information about the Internet Archive Project Pages that might give you some ideas.

The right side of the Librivox homepage http://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio on Internet Archive has some of these statistics.

or

When I totaled the results of this search it showed 173,988,240 downloads. http://archive.org/advancedsearch.php?q=%28collection%3Alibrivoxaudio+OR+mediatype%3Alibrivoxaudio%29+AND+-mediatype%3Acollection&fl[]=downloads&fl[]=identifier&sort[]=downloads+desc&sort[]=&sort[]=&rows=10&page=1&callback=callback&save=yes&output=tables

or you can construct your own search using the advanced search http://archive.org/advancedsearch.php

David O
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Thank you both - I'll have a play around with the links you've given me.

Guess I'm a bit surprised we don't have things like popularity ranks - it's a common thing these days and would be a good way for people to browse for things they might enjoy.

Similar comment for ability to easily leave feedback ratings on recordings for same purpose (and to flag problem areas to LV).

Thoughts?

ETA - Oh I see you CAN put reviews on the archive page - it's just that you're not really directed to that page unless you know to go there - maybe the new site will sort that out

Chris.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We will never do ratings or reviews on the LV site, because we do not allow unsolicited negative criticism. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Hi Tricia

I've just read the 'Feedback' FAQ thread following your post.

It seems like the position is not quite as clear-cut as you imply. In that thread there was a suggestion and ensuing discussion about a positive-only ratings system ("I like this") which seems to get around much of the concern. Some of your Admin colleagues were in favour of this at the time. Also a discussion of a 'recommendation engine' similar to that operated by Amazon, Netflix and others, which reflects preferences rather than objective quality

However this discussion ended 3 years ago. Perhaps it is time to resurrect it? :?:

Cheers, Chris.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ah - when you said "rating system" I was thinking something like 1 star = "this stinks", 5 star = "spectacular" - hence, negative criticism. A positive-only rating system would be a different matter. :)

We're right on the verge of releasing a new catalog look and functionality. We didn't have the time or money to put in a rating/recommendation system. Perhaps in a couple years when we're itching for more changes... 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

Oh well - I'll go to sleep for another 700 days then, like a good princess :)

Meanwhile I'll dig around in the archive stats as suggested.

Cheers, Chris.