Group Projects Moving Slowly?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 18th, 2013, 10:45 am

Is it just me, or does it seem like the vast majority of the group projects are moving really slowly? Even ones that I would expect to fill up and complete fairly quickly seem to move at a snail's pace. (There are exceptions, of course, but as a general rule, things feel very pokey.)

Any thoughts as to why this might be, and any suggestions on how to fix it, if possible?

Some of my thoughts:

- Are there too many of the same kind of project running? It seems true that when there are a lot of the same type of project running at once, the reader pool gets diluted such that none of the projects finish in a timely manner. This is often why we discourage, say, 5 Jules Verne projects from running at once.

- Are we just low on readers for group projects? I know a lot of our readers prefer doing solos, so the potential reader pool is smaller than it would appear by the activity in the forum.

- Are BC's allowing old claims to clog up the project, when perhaps someone else could record the last few sections more quickly? (But this would require someone to claim those sections. Even the claiming of orphaned sections seem to be going slower than before.)

:hmm:

What do y'all think? Is this my imagination? If not, what can be done about it?
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK

Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 » June 18th, 2013, 11:49 am

Hi Tricia,

Yes, I agree. I was just thinking...wow, my projects are moving slowly. Yesterday and today have been really slow. I think it's because there's been a lot of new projects started very recently. I know, I'm a big fan of helping complete projects. Also, I think starting new projects keeps things flowing (like maybe 1 (from 1 person) a month or when 1 gets finished one gets started). But not like 1 every day. That makes things really slow. Even the Burgess books, or Mary Hazelton Blanchard books. We have like 3 or 4 of each out right now.

I do think we've also got a lot of the normal group people reading solos too, which is great! Solos are more ideal for listening anyways.

Just my thoughts, but I have noticed that too!
Last edited by Peppersnoodles93 on June 18th, 2013, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Kim

Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 » June 18th, 2013, 11:52 am

Oh, and on that note, I wonder if a clean up for older group projects could be in order. We could start a thread and then list the oldest, that need finishing? (I could head that up, if we need someone to do that... or at least I have a couple projects that need some TLC)
~Kim

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 18th, 2013, 12:10 pm

We used to have cleanup months, like we did with the dramatic works, and they were very effective. But that was before we instituted the "two months" guideline, which helped BC's orphan sections more easily. So I'm not sure how much a cleanup month would help, if BC's are using the two month guideline. :hmm:

Or are you thinking more of a, "this project has been around forever with little activity. Let's get it outta here" focus?

We certainly don't want to get iron-fisted, but if it really is that there are so many projects out there, is a good long-term solution to somehow get BC's to look at what's in process first before posting a new project? "Hmmm... there are already five 19th Century romances in Readers Wanted. Perhaps I should wait to start another one until at least two of them are cataloged / fully claimed"? I know the admins would NOT want to police such a thing (both for the nightmare of logistics, and for the nightmare of telling people "no, you cannot BC that right now" - but is it at all possible to get a BC to think about this before launching a new project?

Ha ha - I just thought that with the new Mellon system, the system could probably check the genre and say, "There are currently X group projects with the genre of Romance (or Travel or Autobiography, etc.). Are you sure you want to start this one now?" but we are waaaay too far into the project to ask for this now (even if we wanted it). :P

Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 » June 18th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Or are you thinking more of a, "this project has been around forever with little activity. Let's get it outta here" focus?
Yes, but of course, I think like 2-4 months is a long time to have a project around LOL. :D I guess I'm spoiled! Also just having a list of the ones that have been around OR have little activity, might help us focus on ones that need to be helped out a bit. I can think of a few that aren't really popular but only have say 4-8 sections left, that would be easy if we pitch in and help finish a couple of those up.
~Kim

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » June 18th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Sometimes I claim a group section because it looks fun, but I'm just as likely to claim by going to the bottom of the readers wanted forum and working my way up to find something that I can read on a project that seems to be moving slowly (limited of course by my limited language capabilities) . . . but I'm not reading as much these days as I used to, solo or group.

MaryAnn

catrose

Post by catrose » June 18th, 2013, 1:20 pm

I hate to say it, but whenever I look in the Launch Pad, it's like there are at least five new group projects. Maybe we could have a temporary limit on how many you can have at once? Just a temporary one, mind you.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!

Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 » June 18th, 2013, 1:28 pm

catrose wrote:I hate to say it, but whenever I look in the Launch Pad, it's like there are at least five new group projects. Maybe we could have a temporary limit on how many you can have at once? Just a temporary one, mind you.
agreed!
~Kim

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 18th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Temporary... for how long? How many? And once the temporary rule is removed, what is to prevent it from growing unwieldy again?

catrose

Post by catrose » June 18th, 2013, 1:37 pm

TriciaG wrote:Temporary... for how long? How many? And once the temporary rule is removed, what is to prevent it from growing unwieldy again?
No idea. I was hoping someone else would figure something plausible.

I'd say something like 5. Or 3. Which means people with over 5 couldn't start a new one until a few were finished. I mean, if you look on Readers Wanted, it's mainly the same people starting up new ones.

I don't think that after the recent Dramatic Cleanup Month, the influx of new projects was excessive. In fact, if it wasn't for it, I would've started loads of new projects on a whim, but now that I've had time to think them over, a few wouldn't've been such a good idea :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » June 18th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Admin hat off Image

How about a temporary halt until Readers Wanted and Readers Found are at a maximum of three forum pages in total i.e. 150 projects? That would surely be sufficient choice for everyone who wants to contribute to a group project?

Then as Readers Found projects are completed, they will free up space for more new projects.

Just my idea. I imagine it would be easier to manage than to try to restrict particular BCs, and it's fair to all.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

catrose

Post by catrose » June 18th, 2013, 2:00 pm

:clap: That's why your the ideas person, Ruth! You rock! :clap:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 18th, 2013, 2:06 pm

It's a possibility. At first mention, I don't like it...but I'll be on board if there's a consensus.

If we do such a thing, I wonder if we should schedule it to coincide with the launch of the Mellon project system. That way it would give all BC's a chance to get used to the new system a little bit before launching new projects. (Which reminds me - I've got to work on getting some training videos ready for that!)

There would still, of course, be some projects launched: weekly poetry, for example. What about other short works - collections, short story anthologies that get shuffled off to Readers Wanted: Short Works? Or would this only be for RW: Books?

catrose

Post by catrose » June 18th, 2013, 2:09 pm

I don't think there's much of an issue with WP, FP or collections, as they generally pick up the pace when they need to and there's only normally one collection of something open at a time :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

Loveday

Post by Loveday » June 18th, 2013, 2:13 pm

I like Ruth's idea!

Clearly some BCs have room for more projects than others. I've decided my limit is 2 group projects, others have more time :)

I also think maybe we could try having a sticky for a while with a list of nearly-finished projects. Technically the orphans thread wouldn't work for a project which has a couple of lonely lingering sections which have never been claimed :cry: I've just finished a busy period at work and am looking forward to a calmer summer, so as soon as I have made inroads into my current list I will enjoy grabbing a few previously unloved sections :)

Some projects always will move more slowly than others, I think, though.
It's the end of term, so I am back! Thank you for being patient with me, and please PM if I don't seem to have caught an update that I should have seen.