Comments or stickies in the User Control Panel?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 »

Hi all Admins, I'm thinking again.... :shock: :hmm: :D oh no!

Anyways, I was thinking it would be helpful to have a place in the user control panel that let you prioritize and maybe make comments on the most important projects to record or how many sections there are left etc. Kind of a personal sticky note or calendar type thing, where you could organize either things to be recorded or things to be PLing....something like that.

I find myself going thought my catalog page and mentally making notes. Or even looking at my subscriptions and having to make mental notes all the time. So I thought it would be cool if they had a feature to actually do that!

Just an idea.

Thanks!
~Kim
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I can see it would be useful - but I don't think it is possible. All the forum is run using phpBB software (see bottom of pages ) and we don't get much control of things - we can change the look a bit I think but that is about all.

Anne
Cori

Post by Cori »

Perhaps you could try using '» Manage drafts' like that? Go to Off Topic, open a new topic, called Sticky Notes, then *don't* Submit it, but Save draft instead...
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Peppersnoodles93

annise wrote:I can see it would be useful - but I don't think it is possible. All the forum is run using phpBB software (see bottom of pages ) and we don't get much control of things - we can change the look a bit I think but that is about all.

Anne
Ok, slightly depressing....not gonna lie. ;) I'll try out Cori's idea though. :) thanks!
~Kim
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Kim san,

I don't think your proposal is technically difficult.
Your request is fetching information from the database and showing it.
This is just an ordinary thing.

What is difficult is getting approval from members.

Cheers,
Masa
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Kim,

As Anne has indicated, we use a mostly out-of-the-box version of the forum software. Similar to Cori's suggestion, you can also write a PM to yourself and then save it as a draft to use for making notes. (No chance of accidentally posting your personal notes to the forum this way :wink:).

Another way to do what you are asking is to use an addon that lets you attach a persistent sticky note to a web page. If you use Firefox, you might check out Internote. I haven't used it much, but it seems to work as advertised.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/internote/
Jo
Peppersnoodles93

Thanks Jo, I might try that out! For now, I just started a Word doc that I'll have to update..it's not as convenient as having something built in, but it might help me from going crazy with re-mentally telling myself what such and such project is. :)
~Kim
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

I personally bookmark projects which I am BCing or DPLing. That way I can quickly just click down the list of bookmarks and check all of "my" threads, and easily see who last posted there. If I'm the last one who posted, I know I probably don't need to go check the thread out. ;)

I'm running Windows 7, and I keep a desktop sticky note open for notes on Librivox. (I also have one open letting me know which episode I'm on in various TV shows/anime I'm watching on my computer, otherwise I forget where I left off, lol.) I keep a paper copy of sections to be read, and make notes there like what date I claimed, and how many sections are remaining. I like the physical checking off of something when I finish a recording. :)
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
Peppersnoodles93

Elley, sounds like a good system! :D
~Kim