Be Nice policy for Admins

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
enko

Post by enko »

What happens when an admin does not follow the "Be Nice" policy. Do other admins send that person a personal message, a thread is opened about the subject in the admin forum or something else is done.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The other admins slap around the offender in the Admin area. Bruised and broken, the offender stands corrected. :help:

OK, that's a little extreme, but usually it's either that an admin will PM the offender and the offender will self-correct, or it'll get posted about in the Admin area. It's rare for an admin not to self-correct when something is pointed out as "not nice."
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

We are quite self-conscious about that "being nice" rule. So what I often do when I feel a "not nice" answer coming is go and post it in the admin forum, where other admins come with their suggestions... by the time they're all there, i've cooled down, and gotten some useful input too.

You're not being harassed by an admin, are you, enko?
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
enko

Post by enko »

neckertb wrote:You're not being harassed by an admin, are you, enko?
No. But I noticed that some admins were not following the "Be Nice" policy and they were not corrected like the other normal users who did not follow the "Be Nice" policy were.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It is possible, perhaps, that admins require an even more bottomless well of niceness than other people. Occasionally my well runs dry, and on those occasions I endeavour not to post. Strangely enough, though it may not appear so, admins are human too.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

I agree with Ruth.
I think another part of the explanation is that we admins actually know each other quite well, so we might read the words differently than either people who don't know us would, or than when they are coming from someone we don't know. Basically, we know we mean for the best. With some forum members (sometimes especially the newer ones) it can be hard to tell if the meaning is good. (Not sure if I'm being super clear, here). Basically, we try the best we can, and the ratio of "not so nice" answers to "nice" answers is probably very low.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
catrose

Post by catrose »

Maybe if you read an Admin's comment and interpret it as not nice, you could PM them and point it out and say that someone could think this is "not nice". Sometime, reading back, I've noticed that I few things I've said could have been interpreted as not nice (though granted, nothing major and there can be a bit of a foggy line between nice and not nice) and if someone has, politely and gently, made me aware of that fact, I would've corrected it. I think I've even PMed an appology to one forum member after realising something I said wasn't the nicest thing to say :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!