Are solos more listener friendly than group projects?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I was wondering what people thought about this.

Are audiobooks better when they are read by a single person or by a variety of people?

I can understand that many listeners prefer the continuity and familiarity of having the same person reading a whole book. Some of these listeners feel that different voices for each chapter is distracting. And some ever prefer one narrator over another, choosing to listen to works read only by that particular person.

On the other hand, perhaps it better to have multiple readers per book. This gives variety to the listener. With all due respect to the hardworking LibriVoxer and not meaning to criticize, I have found myself sometimes falling asleep when listening to the same voice, accent, tone, etc chapter after chapter.

In listening to several recordings both solo's and group projects, I've noticed a variety of reading styles. It seems some narrators just seem more lively than others. The words sound more alive when read by some readers whilst others sound like zombies. No offense or criticism intended.

And what of multilingual works? Do different dialects and accents make the listening experience more or less pleasurable? As for myself I think, with the exeception of narrators who have either famous voices, or who have very lively and enganging tones and can maintain this thoughtout a book (or have acting experience), that a variety of readers is probably a good idea for many audiobooks, particularly non-fiction or historical works.

Of course, having the authors themselves reading their own works is probably the best solution (since they know their writing better than anyone else), though some authors may feel they prefer someone else do it. Unfortunately, as most of us realize, for most of the works we can read here at LibriVox, the authors are quite dead, so this is not possible.

Anyone have any input?

BTW and off topic: Did you know that the Romans connected the spirit or animus (which can mean soul) of a person with their breath and would, gathering round the bedside of a dying or seriously ill family member, attempt to kiss or catch their last breath and free the soul of the dying person? I remember this from my studies, but I am not sure where and in whose writings this superstition comes down to us.
Last edited by Arnieh on February 13th, 2013, 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

My main input is, "does it matter?" :lol:

Many readers cannot commit to a whole solo. Many books are honkin' huge, and would take forever for a soloist to finish. For both these reasons, group projects are great. Since our goal is to record all public domain books, the listening experience is secondary to getting them recorded. ;)

Other readers prefer to work alone, or to record an entire book for whatever other reason. That's fine, too.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
catrose

Post by catrose »

Arnieh wrote: BTW and off topic: Did you know that the Romans connected the spirit or animus (which can mean soul) of a person with their breath and would, gathering round the bedside of a dying or seriously ill family member, attempt to kiss or catch their last breath and free the soul of the dying person? I remember this from my studies, but I am not sure where and in whose writings this superstition comes down to us.
Thanks for this! :D it's probably the most interesting fact I've learnt all day! :)

As for the question, I agree with Tricia. I love listening to solos, and I also love listening to groups. Normally though, I listen for the story, not the narrator, so as long as they get recorded, I'm not bothered on whether one person or multiple people read it :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
carolb

Post by carolb »

Reading your post, it just goes to show that...

*You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time,
but you can’t please all of the people all of the time*

Carol :wink:
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

I have talked to a couple people who say they don't like to listen to books from Librivox because they want the continuity of the single reader. I personally, if I am listening to a book (which I don't do often in any form), I prefer the continuity of a single reader, although having multiple ones doesn't bug me that much.

Ultimately Librivox is as much if not more about the people reading the books as it is about the people listening to the books. If I produce a book and someone listens to it and enjoys it, that's fantastic! But if no one likes it, then oh well. It is still a great feeling to contribute to such a great project as this.

As Tricia said, Solos take a lot of work. I just recently finished my first one and it took me 11 months! It wasn't even all that long of a book. That's a big commitment for anyone.

Ultimately when I BC a book, I do it because I want to create variety. I have been known to cap people on the number of sections they record (just recently in fact :roll:) specifically because I want more variety. I ultimately enjoy doing it that way because I like the sense of community involvement you get when you are a part of something like that. I wouldn't complain if every single section of a book was read by a different reader.
As I said earlier some people don't like that. That's not my concern though. Everyone has there likes and dislikes, but I'm not necessarily going to try to cater to everyone.

I think there is absolutely a place for both, especially in a setting like this.

Anyway, my two cents.
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
Or perhaps you'd rather talk about music with children.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

One of the things I really like about the multi-reader books is the way that focuses all the attention on the author. And highlights just how wonderful some of them write such that their words shine through the changes in style and skill and pacing of different readers. I hear the author's intended character voices regardless of who reads a particular chapter.

Think of the image of Peter Falk reading at the beginning of Princess Bride and then his voice fades out and you are placed right in the heart of the medieval kingdom with Wesley out in the field....

We're the voices that provide the entry to the worlds created by the authors - but is they who are the stars!!

Todd
WoollyBee

Post by WoollyBee »

I personally enjoy listening to the same reader for the whole book. You begin to see the character in your mind and get used to the reader. If the reader changes every chapter, it's hard to get used to listening to each one every chapter. Of course, there's always a chance that you'll get stuck with someone who has a bad microphone or who isn't the best of narrators (no offense meant, as Arnieh said, we're all volunteers, and it's great that we all love Librivox so much that we're willing to record so much :D ).
Many readers cannot commit to a whole solo. Many books are honkin' huge, and would take forever for a soloist to finish. For both these reasons, group projects are great. Since our goal is to record all public domain books, the listening experience is secondary to getting them recorded.
One of the things I really like about the multi-reader books is the way that focuses all the attention on the author. And highlights just how wonderful some of them write such that their words shine through the changes in style and skill and pacing of different readers. I hear the author's intended character voices regardless of who reads a particular chapter.
Of course, both of these Librivoxers make a good point. I guess we can all see both sides of this. :D
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

I love solos and group projects! At first I stuck to solos as much as I could because that's what I was used to, but I listened to a group project once and really enjoyed it. It also depends on the book, sometimes even the author, for example, I prefer Jules Verne's books as solos, but I like Martha Finley, and Susan Warner's books read as a group projects, and books by Jane Austen I like both ways :D

carolb wrote:Reading your post, it just goes to show that...

*You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time,
but you can’t please all of the people all of the time*

Carol :wink:
That is very true :roll:
~Tiffany
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

catrose wrote:
Arnieh wrote: BTW and off topic: Did you know that the Romans connected the spirit or animus (which can mean soul) of a person with their breath and would, gathering round the bedside of a dying or seriously ill family member, attempt to kiss or catch their last breath and free the soul of the dying person? I remember this from my studies, but I am not sure where and in whose writings this superstition comes down to us.
Thanks for this! :D it's probably the most interesting fact I've learnt all day! :)
Yes the Romans, as with many other ancient peoples, were very superstitious. They didn't have modern science to explain away things. In fact the Romans were so superstitous they even had a god of mildew, he/she/it was called Robigus, and they held a festival on April 25th called the Robigalia, which included sacrifices meant to appease this god and prevent mildew.
SarahParshall wrote:I personally enjoy listening to the same reader for the whole book. You begin to see the character in your mind and get used to the reader. If the reader changes every chapter, it's hard to get used to listening to each one every chapter. Of course, there's always a chance that you'll get stuck with someone who has a bad microphone or who isn't the best of narrators (no offense meant, as Arnieh said, we're all volunteers, and it's great that we all love Librivox so much that we're willing to record so much :D ).
I believe most of the "professional" audio books, from works currently in copyright, that you find on Audible.Com, etc. use only one reader per book, I agree with you though, there is something to be said for the continuity of a solo reader. Especially if they are really into what they are reading. You can just feel it in the way they read.
Last edited by Arnieh on February 15th, 2013, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The thing that interests me about that is " Did it work ? " - and/or "Did the Romans think it worked or were they just hedging their bets ? "

In all the talk about "bad readers" spoiling group projects do people think no "bad readers" read solos ?
"Bad readers" is shorthand for readers the poster doesn't like, others may think they are great

Anne
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

annise wrote:The thing that interests me about that is " Did it work ? " - and/or "Did the Romans think it worked or were they just hedging their bets ? "

Anne
I think for most superstitious people, whether in the past or present, confirmation bias seems to be at work.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

One of my solos (The Bent Twig, by Dorothy Canfield) runs something like 5 books with a total of 43 chapters. I wouldn't mind hearing it re-recorded by, say, 5 women from LV, in graduating ages. A youngish teen for the heroine's early years, a high school senior for that period, a college freshman for that one, and so on. I suppose a dramatized version would be too much to ask for though. ;)
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
linz

Post by linz »

Yes, Personal point of view, is that solo readings are more listener friendly than other readings, but ive listened to both and have enjoyed the others, except dramatic readings which I tend to avoid. For me, the voice has a lot to do with the amount of enjoyment in listening to a book. Some voices are suited to specific stories. I can name three I enjoyed greatly because of the voices. The Vicar Of Wakefield=Martain Clifton, Revelations Of A WIfe=Maire Rhode, Lavender And Old Lace=Bridget. Oh and there are so many others too. :clap: Linz
catrose

Post by catrose »

linz wrote:...except dramatic readings which I tend to avoid ...
Linz
May I ask why, just out of curriosity? :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

I tend to get a lost in multi-reader books by chapter, though not always. And, as a current rule, I haven't performed in any. But if its a book with various stories, articles, or something else that doesn't really connect exactly, multiple readers are better, I think, to help separate the ideas.

After about 16 solos now, I think I'm ready to stretch out and my curiousity has waxed toward dramatic readings. I do shudder at the technical aspects still.

My views on it are very much based on what will hold my attention, as flimsy as my attention keeps getting. :roll: