New Multilingual Monthly Poetry Project

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Nastya and Hannah are trying a multilingual poetry project. They will select a notable poem that is likely to have been translated into several languages. Over the course of a month, they will welcome as many readers as possible to read the poem in as many languages as we can find PD translations for. Like the English weekly poem, the goal is to have many readers give voice to the same poem, bringing their own interpretation and vocalization to the work. The twist is that this project is welcoming readers in a variety of languages to share the experience of reading the selected poem. Since the focus of the project is Languages Other Than English (LOTE), only one English reading will be accepted. That way we can keep the focus on LOTE readings.

The first poem selected is The Conflictt by Frederich Schiller and the project threat is here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90687

In addition to the German original and English, Nastya and Hannah have found public domain translations into Russian and Ukrainian. They would appreciate help from the LV community to find public domain translations of this poem in other languages. Surely there is are Spanish and French translations, and possibly many others.

Please stop by the project thread to submit a reading of this poem from one of the vetted translations, or to post a link to another translation. Once we've confirmed that your suggested translation is acceptable for LV to record, we will add it to the list of accepted translations in the first post in the thread and welcome readings from that translation.

And if you would like to suggest other poems for this project, please post below. Nastya and Hannah welcome your suggestions. It really helps if you include a link to the poem and as many translations as you can find ... as the best candidate poems will be those where multiple public domain translations are available.
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

Hi,

Frederich Schiller is シラー (or シルレル) in Japanese.

The translations in Japanese exist, maybe. But not in the PD, maybe.
日本語訳

小栗孝則訳 新編シラー詩抄 改造文庫 1937
大野敏英、石中象治、野上巖共訳 シルレル詩全集上・下 白水社 1948
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89%E3%83%AA%E3%83%83%E3%83%92%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%81%AE%E8%A9%A9

Honestly speaking, it's hard to get the translations. But 教授 has these books, maybe.
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

CSCO wrote: January 12th, 2022, 4:12 am Hi,

Frederich Schiller is シラー (or シルレル) in Japanese.

The translations in Japanese exist, maybe. But not in the PD, maybe.
日本語訳

小栗孝則訳 新編シラー詩抄 改造文庫 1937
大野敏英、石中象治、野上巖共訳 シルレル詩全集上・下 白水社 1948
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89%E3%83%AA%E3%83%83%E3%83%92%E3%83%BB%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%81%AE%E8%A9%A9

Honestly speaking, it's hard to get the translations. But 教授 has these books, maybe.
If 1937 and/or 1948 are the publication date, then no - it's not in the PD.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Isad

Post by Isad »

Hi,

Thanks for this project.

I suggest for a next poem a famous french poet : Charles Baudelaire (1821-1867).

The poetry is « L’invitation au voyage » in « Les fleurs du mal » (1857), so as not to travel only through languages.

Subject : The poet invites the woman he loves on an imaginary journey, a dream of happiness.

French (published 1917) : https://archive.org/details/lesfleursdl00baud/page/96/mode/2up

With Google’s help, I’ve find : Isad
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Hello Isad!
Thank you for your poem suggestion. :) I've found Russian translation:
"Приглашение к путешествию"
https://archive.org/details/polnoesobranieso22mere/page/95/mode/2up
(Translator: Dmitry Merezhkovsky, published 1914)
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

The Polish translation https://pl.wikisource.org/wiki/Zaproszenie_do_podr%C3%B3%C5%BCy_(Baudelaire,_1894) based on https://pl.wikisource.org/wiki/Strona:PL_Karol_Baudelaire-Kwiaty_grzechu.djvu/064
Also, the translator appears under the pseudonym Adam M-ski. The real name is Zofia Trzeszczkowska
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Isad wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 2:42 am
I suggest for a next poem a famous french poet : Charles Baudelaire (1821-1867).

The poetry is « L’invitation au voyage » in « Les fleurs du mal » (1857), so as not to travel only through languages.

Subject : The poet invites the woman he loves on an imaginary journey, a dream of happiness.
OK, seems it was a poem which was pretty popular between Russian poets. Here are more Russian translations:
https://archive.org/details/tsvietyzla01baud/page/35/mode/1up
(Translator: Ellis (Lev Kobylinsky), published 1912)

https://archive.org/details/stikhotvoreniia00baudgoog/page/164/mode/1up
(Translator: Pyotr Yakubovich, published 1902)

I've found that these two poets translated this poem but to find an accessible PD source wasn't that easy. Had to use various key words. :)
~Anastasiia
Isad

Post by Isad »

Hello,

Why not an ukrainian poet for the next project :hmm:

I found Taras Chevtchenko or Shevchenko or Schewtschenko (1814-1861), that I did not know before today, with a poem called The Testament :
I ignore the historical context of the poem but it may be appropriate ?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Isad.

Our current multilingual monthly poem is closed and will be in the catalog soon. We are going to wait to start another poem until Nastya (ShiNeko) is in a position to BC the project. This was her brainchild and so we would like to see her able to continue to develop the idea in the selection and production of future multilingual poems.

Kind regards,
MaryAnn
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Isad wrote: March 4th, 2022, 9:36 am Hello,
Hello, Isad! I plan to resume the project. As you were the one to suggest the two poems, which one would you like to go first? :)
~Anastasiia
Isad

Post by Isad »

Hello Nastya,
ShiNeko wrote: April 15th, 2022, 1:28 am I plan to resume the project. As you were the one to suggest the two poems, which one would you like to go first? :)
I prefer love to war and I found more translations for Baudelaire. But it's up to you :D
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Isad wrote: April 15th, 2022, 1:59 am I prefer love to war and I found more translations for Baudelaire. But it's up to you :D
OK, then let's go with Baudelaire. :) I hoped for long to find a Ukrainian PD translation of this poem, but to my disappointment it was not meant to be.

To add translations to Shevchenko's poem for the future:
Published in 1916
https://archive.org/details/shevchenkoiohouk00jers/page/62/mode/2up
There are Ukrainian original version, English shortened translation by E.L. Voynich (so better to take it from another book with full one), English translation by P. Selver, German translation by Ivan Franko (I think that there might be more German translations out there 🤔). Note for English translations: they are PD in the USA as the publication year is 1916, but not in Europe.
~Anastasiia
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Isad wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 2:42 am I suggest for a next poem a famous french poet : Charles Baudelaire (1821-1867).

Hello, Isad. The project is set: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=92390&p=2039040#p2039040 . :) Also I'd like to ask you: is « L’invitation au voyage » in prose Baudelaire's second version of the same motive? I thought at first that some translators just translated the poem in prose. So are we using it as well?
~Anastasiia
Isad

Post by Isad »

Hi Nastya,
ShiNeko wrote: April 17th, 2022, 12:18 pm Also I'd like to ask you: is « L’invitation au voyage » in prose Baudelaire's second version of the same motive? I thought at first that some translators just translated the poem in prose. So are we using it as well?

The prose version is a rewrite of the poem.

There is music in the poem (in French). I prefer it but it's as you want. Or depending on what is found in the different languages :hmm:
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Isad wrote: April 18th, 2022, 12:42 am Hi Nastya,

The prose version is a rewrite of the poem.

There is music in the poem (in French). I prefer it but it's as you want. Or depending on what is found in the different languages :hmm:
Oh, I get it now: some prose translations are based on the poem, and some are on the original prose version.
~Anastasiia