LibriVox API Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
dalewking

Post by dalewking » May 14th, 2018, 8:16 pm

I thought to get the num_sections and using that to decide which way to parse it, but found out there are 5 books that report that they have 0 sections. 3 of them (12687, 12911, 66) actually do have no sections and they return the array instead of the map. There are 2 (76 and 473) that report they have no sections in num_sections but they actually do have multiple sections and they return the map instead of the array.

ScottLawton

Post by ScottLawton » May 14th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Good catch. (I got those 2 wrong.) It's possible that studying the DB itself (which outsiders can't do) or the various outputs (which we can do; including from archive.org) would yield a subtle issue that is fixable. i.e. something about the way the information is stored (or how/where some file is cached) can probably be changed so that the API would yield the same result here as it does for other books that have sections.
Cheers,

Scott
Aplt1.com - alternate LibriVox catalog that puts more info up front; optional iOS app

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 14th, 2018, 8:55 pm

I've fixed the last two (76 & 473) to reflect the proper number of sections. Project 66 is not a real book. It's simply a catalog page that shows an index of the Grimm's fairy tales in German. https://librivox.org/maerchen-by-grimm-index/

As for the remaining two, one is an abandoned project with no sections. That database entry will eventually be reused for another project. I'm not quite sure what the other one is. It appears to be an incomplete project entry.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » May 14th, 2018, 10:04 pm

not an API expert but shouldn't outsiders only be interested in completed projects? The 2 5 digit ones are not marked complete

Anne

ScottLawton

Post by ScottLawton » May 15th, 2018, 4:58 am

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
May 14th, 2018, 8:55 pm
I've fixed the last two (76 & 473) to reflect the proper number of sections.
Thanks!
Cheers,

Scott
Aplt1.com - alternate LibriVox catalog that puts more info up front; optional iOS app

dalewking

Post by dalewking » May 15th, 2018, 8:02 am

annise wrote:
May 14th, 2018, 10:04 pm
not an API expert but shouldn't outsiders only be interested in completed projects? The 2 5 digit ones are not marked complete
Is there a way to find out if a book is completed? In my process I am getting just the IDs and then going out and getting metadata, so not sure how to filter out non-completed.