LibriVox API Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
tbook

Post by tbook »

Thanks!
Working on iOS and Android apps for LibriVox. You can see the comments from the apps on our web site: LibriVox Audio Books
lonelytango

Post by lonelytango »

I have some questions about the search API

So here is an example.
https://catalog.librivox.org/search_xml.php?extended=1&simple=cat

The return of this call is quite heavy, I wonder if there is anyway we can limit the return just like the latestworks.xml, like a parameter call "limit" and "offset" so i can specify the number of book in return.

I also realized some of the books from search result do not contain audio track, is there a parameter so I only get books with audio tracks?
Cori

Post by Cori »

Can you give an example of a book not containing an audio track? I think I must be misunderstanding, because I'd've thought that'd be the whole point ;)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
tbook

Post by tbook »

Perhaps he is referring to books that haven't been completed? I think they may show up in the search API.
Working on iOS and Android apps for LibriVox. You can see the comments from the apps on our web site: LibriVox Audio Books
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

tbook wrote:Perhaps he is referring to books that haven't been completed? I think they may show up in the search API.
I don't think that projects in progress show on https://catalog.librivox.org/search_xml.php?extended=1&simple=cat My current solos don't, at least.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
tbook

Post by tbook »

I think you are correct - I was thinking of the RSS urls like http://librivox.org/rss/6934, which do let you put in the id of books in progress. By the way, I recently listened to your recording of Wild England, and thought it was great!
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello,

I just report new API doesn't work yet.

http://dev.librivox.org/api/feed/audiobooks/?id=52
<xml>
<status>0</status>
<error>Unknown method.</error>
</xml>
Cheers,
Masa
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

from first post
Dear Developers...

LibriVox is rebuilding its API. If you are planning, or already have, built apps or web services on the LibriVox catalog, please post here so we know who you are & also, pls monitor this thread.

We'd like you to test, and give us feedback.

The information about the NEW API can be found here, and will be updated as the project progresses:
http://dev.librivox.org/public/temp_info/api

If you have questions/comments/feedback/thoughts, please post them in this forum thread.

Thanks!

Hugh.
So it is not the new API - it was a beta releease for comments back then
lonelytango

Post by lonelytango »

That's fine, we will just use what we have :)

Check out my app "ReadLover", I've been using the basic latest API and the RSS endpoint and it works quite well. I think the presentation is still acceptable.

Search "ReadLover." in appstore. In the app just open Utilities->AudioBook(Librivox).
dalewking

Post by dalewking »

So what's the story with the new API? It has not been up in months. Has the idea been scrapped or what?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I'll try and find out for you.

Ruth
tbook

Post by tbook »

Reading between the lines in the recent request for funds, I was assuming that more work was needed.
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello,

According to the situation I suppose new API project is abandoned.
Even though slight, negative effect is spreading.
Newly cataloged recordings can't be searched.

We need to find out an alternative solution.

One possible solution is once LibriVox becomes open source, we immediately start developing new API.
Accessing to MySQL and converting the data into XML or JSON is what we need.
There are lots of libraries for these functions. So I don't think this is a difficult job.
I'll be happy to write codes.

Cheers,
Masa
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I don't know how you decide that Masa . Keeping producing books is the absolute top priority and everyone is very busy making that keep happening. Those of us not directly involved can help best at present by reading carefully any information they are given for the new features and being patient. I have not seen any statement that the API will not be produced , and I am confident it will happen.

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Please try the API again now, and let us know how you get on.

Ruth