LibriVox API Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ej400

Post by ej400 »

dalewking wrote: November 19th, 2019, 4:13 pm Why does the API return un-finished books? Is there a way to filter them out?
I'm sure pretty it's because it's letting you know the book is in progress. I'm not sure there's a way to filter them out though.
Last edited by ej400 on December 18th, 2019, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I assume it's because it's based on projects, not completed projects. We know it's not perfect, and it isn't that we don't care about listeners, we just ran out of money to improve the API
It is, however, possible to use it for apps etc. Many outsiders do.
But LV is successful because we concentrate on releasing audiobooks of books that are public domain and making them available on Archive and in our catalogue. And whether 1 person listens to a particular book or a million does not make 1 book succesful and the other a failure

And any frills that are possible with our existing software can be done by anyone who wants to do them. But whether they do or don't do is up to them , we have still done our prime directive

Anne
danielius

Post by danielius »

dalewking wrote: November 19th, 2019, 4:13 pm Why does the API return un-finished books? Is there a way to filter them out?
Somebody in this post earlier mentioned to check for "url_iarchive" (in the http request with extended=1 query) tag if its null/empty that means the book isnt finished as its not uploaded to archives
danielius

Post by danielius »

If a book has both for example, english and spanish translations will those translations be included in the sections part of the json or be 2 different books with unique ids ?
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

danielius wrote: November 21st, 2019, 12:46 pm If a book has both for example, english and spanish translations will those translations be included in the sections part of the json or be 2 different books with unique ids ?
It would be two different books with unique ids. There are multiple versions of the same book in the same language, and they each have unique ids. For example search the catalog for: Anne of Green Gables, Pride and Prejudice, etc.
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
serenskye

Post by serenskye »

Hi, I just started trying to use the API for a language learning app. I have some questions.

How is it possible to search by genre - every time I try this I get a database error response.

Is it possible to filter the results by language?

Thanks for any help. It's a great website and API :)
serenskye

Post by serenskye »

danielius wrote: November 19th, 2019, 1:11 pm Hey im an Android developer working on an app. How come https://librivox.org/rss/12349 redirects you to forums ? Got an error trying to download everything into my own database since I seem to be getting errors when trying to access the API https://librivox.org/api/feed/audiobooks?genre=66 I use the rss links to get the tracks download url's
Did you get the genres working? Also did you get the full download working. Interested myself - fellow android. :mrgreen:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Via Twitter, for the record:
There should be a language declaration in RSS feeds, it is there but commented out ..
<!--<language>project element=lang.code</language>-->
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
CRoma1994

Post by CRoma1994 »

Hi there! Another developer here, working for a web app, could someone explain to me which are the API endpoints to query by author, title and genre? The docs are a bit confusing, thanks in advance.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I am polishing an MS Access program to create a database of all the data of all the books whose data is deliverable by the Librivox.org API.

One reason for doing this is to be able to create a list (table) of all the LV books which have been cataloged but whose Internet Archive book entry does not have a Librivox link the the External Links section. The idea being to tie the Librivox catalog offerings together with the Gutenberg offerings and with the Internet Archive offerings.

I have found a bunch of data errors in the XML that the API returns to me. Missing pieces of data, incorrect Closing mark up tokens (e.g., <author>...</authors>, and miscellaneous pieces of data thrown in amongst valid data (e.g., <https://librivoxhttps://librivox.org/a-night-on-thetown.....)

My program code is getting to being 1/2 regular procedural code and 1/2 handling bad data. I would like to clean up these segments of bad data. I can send documentation of these instanced of bad or ill-formed XML to someone IF there is someone who has the rights to repair the LV database's data rather than just extract it. I would be willing to make the necessary corrections myself, but if I were the database manager I wouldn't let an unknown outsider insider inside the walls surrounding the data. But, if someone with the authority to give me the authority to fix the data, I'd do it, just so that stuff could be done.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Can you post an example of data that needs to be fixed? No promises. It depends on where in the database the corrections need to be made whether or not I can be of any help. If it's related to the API which was never properly completed, then that is beyond my capabilities. :)
Jo
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

Hi, Professor.

This is my solution:

"CSCO, bring me two books or more from the shelf."
"Master, if you will force it, I give you my resignation formally, quit my job, and run away to Sea and be a Sailor. Multiple Masters can call me each time."

I presume the server side gives each user a constant bandwidth (to prevent bandwidth depletion), your N download session(s) would get only 1/N bandwidth of it for each.
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!
CSCO

Post by CSCO »

One channel for each IP socket is the easiest way to assign the constant bandwidth, maybe.
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

One reason for doing this is to be able to create a list (table) of all the LV books which have been cataloged but whose Internet Archive book entry does not have a Librivox link the External Links section
Just to help me understand (because the Internet Archive page doesn't have the wiki link information) - you want to use the LV catalogue pages not what Archive refers to as their "detail" pages ?
I know they are both at IA but ours are just stored there as far as IA are concerned but the IA detail pages can be searched using the IA search but sadly not for the wiki links because they are not there :( .

Anne
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

annise wrote: March 29th, 2021, 3:40 pm
One reason for doing this is to be able to create a list (table) of all the LV books which have been cataloged but whose Internet Archive book entry does not have a Librivox link the External Links section
Just to help me understand (because the Internet Archive page doesn't have the wiki link information) - you want to use the LV catalogue pages not what Archive refers to as their "detail" pages ?
I know they are both at IA but ours are just stored there as far as IA are concerned but the IA detail pages can be searched using the IA search but sadly not for the wiki links because they are not there :( .

Anne
This might be a terminology problem on my part. Your comment above mentions Internet Archive Pages, LV Catalogue pages, IA detail pages and I don't have a clear image in my mind what these pages look like. Perhaps a zoom session with examples of all the pages being named and displayed in a Zoom shared screen scenario would allow me to name and identify the pages.

Michele (msfry) has been finding wikipedia(?) pages for Librivox books. In the wikipedia page she is looking in the in the External Links section to see whether there is a link back to the Librivox book page. Similarly for authors. Then inserting those missing links. There are author pages in wikipedia which do not link back to the Librivox Author page which lists all the Librivox books for that author. I hope I am saying that right. When I'm programming I keep open images of the various LV and wiki pages. I have asked several times for consistent names for the various pages and not received consistent responses, or sometimes any response at all.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison