LibriVox API Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
mlepage

Post by mlepage »

That seems rather presumptious of my intent. I feel my technical questions are valid, and I could answer them myself if I could read the docs or code. I shall read the 18 page thread (first post says "We'd like you to test, and give us feedback."), it would just be helpful to me in general beforehand to know if I am looking in the right place, or how up to date everything is. Also as you can see I did read docs, if the forum thread has newer info, I suggest it be included in docs to preclude such questions as mine.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm sorry, the API is a bit of a sore point :wink: Part of the problem is that we are all volunteers who like to do what we like to do for as long as we like to do it. And as Anne said, it's a bit on the fringe of what needs to be done, so it's easy to fall by the wayside.

We don't have anybody maintaining/updating the API on our end on an ongoing basis. It's mostly people coming in, doing something and then leaving again. I couldn't tell you how much of the thread has been incorporated/mentioned in any documentation there might be.

We do, however, guide people with questions and comments about the API to this specific thread, it's the best we have and everything you need should be in here.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I would love to get involved here, learning something new, but I simply can't muster the strength to do that at this point.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mlepage

Post by mlepage »

Hi Availle, thank you for answering, I appreciate it.

I just spent about two hours reading the entire thread. I understand LibriVox is a volunteer effort, the API ran out of funding, and hasn't really been touched since 2013. Also I do see Anne's many comments of "not the prime directive," although I agree as others have pointed out, a certain amount of support for readers (which the API helps enable) remains important, if we wish the recorded books to actually be listened to. (FYI that's why I'm here, the app I am using is atrocious.)

Anyways, I came to the conclusion a few pages into the thread that I will have to build my own copy of the database by cobbling together data sources. And in later thread pages I saw that others have done so as well. So since as it happens I am a competent coder, I shall do that.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

mlepage wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:14 pm a certain amount of support for readers (which the API helps enable) remains important, if we wish the recorded books to actually be listened to.
Well, the LibriVox objective says
To make all books in the public domain available, narrated by real people and distributed for free, in audio format on the internet.
In fact, the whole thing was set up as a kind of creative outlet for people who enjoy reading books. This is why we (still) don't have auditions that go beyond a check of the tech specs, this is why we allow multiple versions by different readers, this is why we welcome any language, any accent, why our readers choose their own books they enjoy...

The concern with listeners always took a back seat, and many of the things that we do today, like the different types of downloads, the covers, etc. were an afterthought.

But I do get where you're coming from. :wink:
As I said, I wish I could help you here since the API does draw a lot of questions, but I can't at this point.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Has it been considered to remove the "(version X)" from the title? Those are not actually part of the title, they should rather be in a separate field for reading_version or similar.
was the bit that annoyed me - sounds like you deciding how we should do things.

The API was included in the plans for the last upgrade, the money ran out and there are a number of things not done including the API - What was done is what is at github. We have no idea when the API will be upgraded and it is not necessarily top priority, there are other things that needed upgrading also but we manage the best we can with what we have. Several of the contributors to this thread do manage with what is available and may come by and help you - although telling them that you think the existing apps they have made are rubbish is hardly tactful.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If you're willing to dig into the code for the API, it's on Github here: https://github.com/LibriVox/
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mlepage

Post by mlepage »

TriciaG, thank you for the link to API code on GitHub, I did notice that when I read the entire thread, I may look at it if I design my own schema.

I do understand the main directive is for readers, and the project is run by volunteers.

I don't think I came in untactful and pointed anything out as rubbish? I don't feel that's a fair characterization of my post with technical questions. I asked (among many specific questions) if it had been considered to remove the version from the title. Of course I can remove it programmatically, but as someone else pointed out earlier in this thread, it's better to have clean data. The real question is, is it the title of the LibriVox project, or the book? Because it's in a "book" element, and it remains a fact that Charles Dickens never wrote a "version 3" of David Copperfield. But I understand, there's no resources to work on the API right now.

I should add I don't really need answers to all those technical questions now, I believe I have what I need from reading the entire thread. (Mostly, to summarize for others who come here, that a good portion of the API as documented on the info page does not work well, and is not likely to be fixed, so you'll have to read the thread to find all the little issues, or use it in a basic fashion to produce your own copy of the data, or use a copy of the data that a few other thread participants have created.)

I think if I'm given the benefit of the doubt and good intentions are assumed on my part, you'll be pleasantly suprised with the result of what I'm working on.
Wayneraltman

Post by Wayneraltman »

I have a working API if anyone is interested. I had it developed at my own expense and would be happy to share it if anyone has a need. I have a subscription site for music and meditations and just added books and audiobooks. The app is amazing.
ITESaurabh

Post by ITESaurabh »

Hello Guys,
I'm trying to build a Modern version App for LibriVox. suddenly i realized the api's aren't in good shape.
I'm feeling sad. :( looks like i may have to drop my project. So far i can understand, there is nobody who's maintaining the API's.

Still if there is any chance, Anyone who can help me to make a workaround on it. Or at least can guide me to get/create a working api, ill be Thankful.

Thanks & Regards,
@ITESaurabh

if any Dev reading this:
should i make my own database of catalog?
or i have to work on the api from scratch?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Does this mean creating another Librivox Audiobooks App, other than the one developed and being maintained by BookDesign?
ITESaurabh

Post by ITESaurabh »

Yes, im trying to make an open source version of it.
msfry

Post by msfry »

ITESaurabh wrote: March 30th, 2023, 12:03 pm Yes, im trying to make an open source version of it.
I'm not a programmer but an avid user of that app, and can tell you all the wonderful things about it that make it better than any other podcast app I have ever used.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

ITESaurabh wrote: March 30th, 2023, 11:39 am Hello Guys,
I'm trying to build a Modern version App for LibriVox. suddenly i realized the api's aren't in good shape.
I'm feeling sad. :( looks like i may have to drop my project. So far i can understand, there is nobody who's maintaining the API's.

Still if there is any chance, Anyone who can help me to make a workaround on it. Or at least can guide me to get/create a working api, ill be Thankful.

Thanks & Regards,
@ITESaurabh

if any Dev reading this:
should i make my own database of catalog?
or i have to work on the api from scratch?
I know very little about the API, but I know it's not being maintained or developed at this time.

All our cataloged projects are hosted at archive.org. Here's our "collection" there: https://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio

Perhaps you could use Archive's API and narrow it down to just the LibriVox files? Here's a link I found to info on their API: https://archive.org/developers/
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ITESaurabh

Post by ITESaurabh »

Thanks for this information. I'll check it in detail once i get time. I'm hoping it will help :D
wb415

Post by wb415 »

Hi, all. I came to this forum because I was interested in whether or not the API endpoint includes any parameter to specify a sort order for search results.

I appreciate the link to the github repo, which allowed me to quickly read through the code and confirm that no such parameter exists.

I don't know if there's currently anybody at Librivox who is maintaining this code.. for example, to accept pull requests and accept new features and improvements from the developer community. On the off-chance there is, I made a pull request containing a very simple update to add this feature. I hope it can be tested and included on the live server.