Anyone else aware of site Allyoucanbooks.com?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Claire

Post by Claire »

A friend just sent this site to me to ask my opinion about signing up for the free trial and then joining for $14.99 per month. I was immediately suspicious when I noticed that while you can browse the books as a nonmember -- the narrators are not mentioned, only the authors and titles. The vast majority of what I saw are books in the public domain. This doesn't pass the 'smell' test. I'm tempted to sign up for the 'free' trial to get a look at the narrators. They want a credit card number for me to do this though they could just cut off access after the 14 free days.

Anyone else checked this out?

Thanks,
Lee Ann
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Never heard of it before, but it does certainly smell fishy. Even if they're "professional" readers, why wouldn't you just grab the e-books from Gutenberg or Archive and the audios from here?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Claire

Post by Claire »

My question is why they won't give the narrators names in the browse function for nonmembers. When I was browsing a number of the books under 'literature,' I was only given authors and titles along with the book 'cover.' I'm assuming that once you join, you are given the names of the narrators, too. Of course, I could be wrong about that. :hmm:

Lee Ann
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Well, let's ask them. Shall we see if they answer tweets? :twisted:

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Well, in children's I came across quite a few with covers I made - and a description I wrote. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

I just tried it. (I now have to find out how to block paypal-transactions for them!)

I downloaded one book: The Frozen Deep by Wilkie Collins. It's ours and even the text on the download page comes from us. The reader is not mentioned, but I downloaded the book from them and from us: It's the same, only the disclaimer is replaced!

Bart
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The sale, auction, lease, loan, gift, trade or barter, or use of any of the logos, characters, trademarks, service marks, artwork, stories, photographs, images, information, names, text, graphics, audio or video material, stills from audiovisual material, or any other materials contained on the Website, for any other purpose, in any form, media, or technology, whether now known or hereafter developed, including the use of any of the aforementioned materials on any other website or networked computer environment, without the prior written consent of AYCB, is expressly prohibited. Modification of such materials or use of such materials for any other purpose is a violation of AYCB's proprietary and intellectual property rights.
Yeah right.
Claire

Post by Claire »

Aha! I'm so glad I posted about this site here. The friend who asked me about it was actually asking on behalf of her elderly mother who listens to LibriVox recordings and also purchases audiobooks online. I'm going to let my friend know about this as soon as possible. She told her mother to hold off on joining. 'Mom' thought that unlimited audiobooks for $14.99 a month sounded pretty good. I'm sure she would have noticed any LV books she had listened to but she thought this was a 'new' book site, too. I didn't see a single book while browsing that sounded current.

Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. :evil: I guess they figured no one would ever check them.
Thanks, guys.

Lee Ann
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Claire wrote:'Mom' thought that unlimited audiobooks for $14.99 a month sounded pretty good.

Lee Ann
I don't know where 'Mom' lives but I can get unlimited audiobooks from my library for $15.00 per year.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Claire

Post by Claire »

This lady lives in Michigan. I think she thought it was similar to a plan on Audible. Like I said -- glad she asked around first. :shock:

Lee Ann
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

RuthieG wrote:Well, let's ask them. Shall we see if they answer tweets? :twisted:

Ruth
Did they?
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Bart, if you have access, can you check this one: http://www.allyoucanbooks.com/ebook/woman-white-wilkie-collins

My fingers are itching to post a comment to their post on Facebook advertising this title... Just to make them aware that we did see their site (I do know there's nothing we can do).
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

neckertb wrote:
RuthieG wrote:Well, let's ask them. Shall we see if they answer tweets? :twisted:

Ruth
Did they?
Surprisingly enough, no.
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

I'm sorry, I terminated my subscription.
But why shouldn't you advertise this book there, even if it isn't the same recording.

Bart
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I'll wager a Christmas pudding (home-made) that it is, though, Bart.

Ruth