understandability

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
kkayser

Post by kkayser »

I was quite happily going through Book name and author removed by admin when I hit chapter 9. A new reader started this chapter. She has an accent which makes about half of the words a complete mystery to me. I listened to chapters 9 and 10, and cannot tell you anything about them except that they are about the wife of a doctor in a town of 6000 or so people.

I listen to all audio books in my car so listening conditions are not ideal, but this is the first time I could not comprehend any meaning from the audio. I feel sorry for this narrator. She spent considerable time and effort. Does anyone screen readers for audio comprehension? The audition should be done in a somewhat noisy environment with some older people like me who have some hearing loss.

I would be glad to help on this.
catrose

Post by catrose »

What's comprehensible for one, someone else can't understand. Why should we make it so that you can understand it, if it means someone else cannot?
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

I have removed the book and author name from your post, as we do not allow unsolicited negative criticism in the forum. (See THIS PAGE for an explanation of this policy.) By removing this information, the issue can be addressed without embarrassing the reader.

Accent and understandability is in the eye (ear) of the beholder. We do not screen readers for accent or understandability. Once in a while a reader will attempt to record something in a language that is a challenge for them, and only 1 or 2 words out of 10 are understandable. We will step in and either work with them to make it more understandable or ask them to refrain from reading in that language until they're better at pronunciation.

However, a reader reading in her own native language rarely has understandability issues enough for the admins to step in. This particular reader has an Australian accent, which might be hard for some people to understand, but is considered clear enough that we won't pull her sections.

If someone feels that it's not understandable, they are welcome to record an alternate version of the chapters, and we'll put them in the catalog as a second choice for those portions of the book.

All that said, I do hear a lot of background noise in the sections which might make it less easy to understand. I'll try to fix that.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Lilith1966

Post by Lilith1966 »

It must be said that Tricia's response was infinitely more helpful than Cat's.

Just saying......

Tara
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

Just a gentle reminder before this gets into not-nice territory...

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Forum_Policies
There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise.
-- Gore Vidal

Post by catrose »

Lilith1966 wrote:It must be said that Tricia's response was infinitely more helpful than Cat's.

Just saying......

Tara
Sorry you didn't find it helpful, Tara.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Lilith1966

Post by Lilith1966 »

I apologise for the offensive tone of my comment. It could have been worded better.

Tara