Art of War ID tags

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

I listened to this today:

http://librivox.org/the-art-of-war-by-sun-tzu/

It was an excellent reading by Pipesdreams, and a really great book that I hadn't read before. So thanks and everything.

However, when transferred to my MP3 player the tracks were in the wrong order. It looks like the ID tags have been done with the track numbers wrong - could someone have a look and see if this can be fixed?

Thanks,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hmm, don't understand. I entered those. I'll have a look.
Can you tell me which files (64kbps, 128kbps or ogg) you downloaded?
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
kayray

Post by kayray »

Is it the Track Numbers which are off (which could easily be an archive.org error beyond our control) or the Title tags, which would indeed be something we can and should fix?

Also, while you wait for us to fix this you can easily edit the id3 tags in iTunes (and probably most other audio players) so that they sort properly for you, anyway :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Carl,

Ezwa and I have been investigating this issue. It looks as though our host, archive.org, did not add track numbers to the files in the .zip. This is not something we can fix, but it's extraordinarily simple to do it yourself, if you care to. Load up the files in iTunes, select one, and hit control-I. Choose the "info" tab, and add track numbers or change tags as appropriate.

This project slipped through with the title tags set as "1", "3", etc, instead of "01" "03" etc. If you change those to add a leading zero on the single-digit chapter numbers, it should sort for you without a hitch.

Since it is so very easy for listeners to alter tags to their liking, we've decided that the effort of changing these tags on our end is not worth the possibility of corrupting the files in the "fixing" process (it's a complex process, to say the least), so we're going to leave them alone -- unless you report back that, for instance, the 5th track is incorrectly named and tagged as the 1st.

Thanks!
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi Kara and Ezwa,

It the 64k files I have.

The problem seems to be in the track number tags, rather than the title tags (I think I'm probably right in saying that most software will ignore the titles for ordering purposes if track numbers are present).

So, for example, the chapter 9-10 file is numbered as track 1 (it should be 5). Sounds like this might be a problem at archive.org's end (?).

I managed to listen without too much inconvenience, but was really thinking about it in terms of how it looks if someone were assessing LV. Plus, it's a bit of a shame, because otherwise I think The Art of War is a very high quality project.

Thanks,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Well, that's funny -- the 64kbps files I downloaded had no track numbers at all! Are you certain that your software didn't arbitrarily assign them?

iTunes will sort your audio files by title, album, artist, track number, genre, etc.

Anyway, just edit the track numbers to your liking and you'll be all set :)
Kara
--------