Sometimes life just takes over - leaving LV

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
kri

Post by kri »

OK, I know the title is misleading. I'm not leaving LibriVox, but I want to talk about others leaving LibriVox. I guess I just want to clear the air, and perhaps make things a little easier for everyone.

Occasionally we'll have people just drop and leave, with no notice, and leaving unfinished business. Even worse, some people just decide to stop doing something like BC for a book, and become completely uncontactable. Fortunately for us it doesn't happen all the time, otherwise we might be less open to anyone that wants becoming a BC.

I guess my point is, we understand that life intervenes and is far far more important than helping us out at LibriVox. At the very least, I do, and I'm sure I'm not stepping too far to say the rest of us running around behind the scenes understand as well. All we ask for is a little notice if you've got projects that you're responsible for, and no guilt is necessary. Even if you decide that you're just not enjoying things anymore and don't really want to participate, we really won't think badly of it. It's important to have fun, enjoy yourself, and if you're no longer doing those things, let us know and we'll be glad to wish you well and find other people to take things over for you.
TBOL3

Post by TBOL3 »

NOOO!!!! Why do you have to leave

Ok, I gues that was misleading, but anyway...

I won't leave with out telling you, so if I haven't' posted for a week, or two, its just that life get EXTREAMLY buisy, although I usually will have 5 spare minuts to look a the LV forum.
OpenSciFi
Check out my podcast at: http://www.archive.org/details/OpenSciFi
feed: http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/dashboard?id=862845
PodcastAlley: http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=49988
forums: http://openscifi.myfreeforum.org/
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

kri you almost gave me a heart attack!
kri

Post by kri »

hugh wrote:kri you almost gave me a heart attack!
Haha, sorry!! That was the best way I could think to word it, but...well yeah. I don't think you could pry me away from here.
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

I too was shocked when I read the headline and saw who was posting.

It is a good topic for discussion though.

There are certainly times in the year when I can be more active in LV and others when I have to sit back from the sidelines and listen. I learned a big lesson when I signed up for 2 chapters of 20000 leagues under the seas, just as we were negotiating to sell our house and buy another. I thought I could complete the two chapters in a couple of weeks but it was four months before I could even begin them.

I'm sure others have been in the same boat.

Thanks, Kri for the topic, even if you did give us a shock.
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Aaagh, you just about gave me heart failure!

Thank you for NOT leaving, kri. And thanks for bringing up the topic.

-Catharine
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Thank you for not leaving too kri...

But I really came here to say thank you so much for that post. It was very inspiring. It is so good to know and to feel that people here REALLY do feel that way. We're here for fun, yes, and if someone leaves, that's fine to. People have their paths and they all shift around. Thank you. Thank you for that kind note. Well said.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

WHAT? YOUR LEAVING!! NOOOOOO! . . . ah...oops.

ok.

that post may have been misleading, but you sure know how to captivate the whole forum.

good job.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

I might add to what's been said already, at the risk of repeating, that many many great people have come and gone in LibriVox. Off the top of my head, I can mention ChipDoc and GordMackenzie, but there are many many more who gave much energy to LibriVox, but then found life, inclination, or whatever changed, and hung up their mics (for now!) ...

And as said above, things should be fun here, and if they aren't it's time to step back. There always seems to be others willing to take things on, so don't worry about that ... from my perspective, it's better to step back from a heavy load of LibriVox responsibility, and then keep participating, than it is to get exhausted and... stop totally. Though of course that's fine too.

If you;re not having fun - ask for some help. This is the most helpful community of people I have ever been involved with, and an understanding lot too.
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

This is a fun and adictive project. From my perspective one must keep in mind why they got started here in the first place. There is an idealism behind this project. Every member contributes to an unselfish striving: to be part of something they enjoy and which--for many reasons-- is valuable to them.

Of course we all get bussy, but in my mind, the most important thing is that volunteers enjoy themselves and keep comming back to the project to contribute the best they know how.

There is no shortage of books to be added to the catalog. Others can wait for a project to get done as long as the volunteer is willing to devote the time it takes to get the project done when they can.

=)
kri

Post by kri »

Yakumo wrote:This is a fun and adictive project. From my perspective one must keep in mind why they got started here in the first place. There is an idealism behind this project. Every member contributes to an unselfish striving: to be part of something they enjoy and which--for many reasons-- is valuable to them.

Of course we all get bussy, but in my mind, the most important thing is that volunteers enjoy themselves and keep comming back to the project to contribute the best they know how.

There is no shortage of books to be added to the catalog. Others can wait for a project to get done as long as the volunteer is willing to devote the time it takes to get the project done when they can.

=)
Well said Yakumo and Hugh.