Live streaming with a Librivox book

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
NicoleP

Post by NicoleP »

Hello Librivox community,

First off as a listener, I'm grateful for the work you all do to create and host free audiobooks. If I bought all my audiobooks off audible I'd go broke in a month, but between the content here and my library (which has a fabulous audiobook selection) I'm able to keep costs under control so... :clap:

Often when I am listening to audiobooks, I do some other type of activity as well such as playing a video game or crafting. I've recently been experimenting with live streaming content on youtube (see also twitch.tv for examples of how this works.) I am curious about the legal and ethical issues around playing a librivox audiobook on stream. I would link to librivox and the audiobook I am listening to in the show notes. Would playing an audiobook out loud on stream violate any copyrights held by content producers here on Librivox? And how do you folks who create the audiobooks feel about having the audiobooks streamed?

Thank you,
Nicole
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Oh, we don't mind! All our recordings are released to the public domain and anyone can do ANYTHING with them. Quite a few people put our recordings up on Youtube. Of course, a credit is always nice, and may bring more people here.

You can also listen to any of our audiobooks streamed from the item's Internet Archive page (linked from every LibriVox book catalogue page under the 'Links' heading on the left-hand side of the page). e.g. https://librivox.org/citadel-of-fear-by-gertrude-barrows-bennett/ >> https://archive.org/details/citadel_fear_1510_librivox >> click 64KBPS M3U or VBR M3U.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
NicoleP

Post by NicoleP »

Thanks for the quick response RuthieG. I hoped that would be the answer, but wanted to verify before trying anything out. Also, thanks for pointing out the internal archive. I usually download the audiobooks as mp3s and listen on my phone. The internal archive will show up better on screen, however.