parody, parroty, parity

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

cynm1788, just now, wrote:3-fold path to wisdom:
  • parody
  • 2. parroty
  • 3. parity
Note by rote when wrote:{NB: recording for [anon.], on 11jul12 <=finally!, 1st time the Export-to-Uploader-to-post stream kinda ~flowed~}

In these days of quick start guides for plug-'n'-play gratification, how do you know what noise looks like in an all-too-familiar UI?
Into my LibriVox cheat sheet, I oh-so-carefully wrote:Section: [formatting varies]

URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/[MC]/[legal_###_filename].mp3

Duration: mm:ss

{Checker: 89.0 dB} <= not required per LibriVox posting guidelines
Before I can post ^_any of that_^ to the topic-thread, what have I had to do?
Jarringly, balkingly, eventually Audacity wrote:[legal_###_filename].mp3
I happen to take ID3 Tags seriously, almost too very, it seems.
As one trapped in a waking nightmare, I [mis-] wrote:Artist Name: [formatting varies]
Track Title: [formatting varies]
Album Title: [formatting varies]
And then there are variations on Intros & Outros that even LibriVox's Best Beloved have lost track of.
Because every BC knows perfectly well what S/HE wrote:[silence]

Intro

(read)

Outro

[silence]
HTH...because it's s'posed to be easy. {& it is...once you get the hang} :9: :clap: :thumbs: yay! LibriVox!
\\//_ -- cyn
____
"Computer: end program." - var.

"Here, this is not my doctrine, 'tis my study;"

"Word of the day"
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Easiest approach - read the first post.

Anne
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

annise wrote:Easiest approach - read the first post.

Anne
Remember, to a newcomer, those first posts are *stultifyingly* noisy; then I've caught typos, on top of project-to-project degrees of variation (& I read more projects than I record for). You've handled me more gracefully than some, Anne, thanks.
\\//_ -- cyn
____

"Word of the day"
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

cynm1788 wrote:Remember, to a newcomer, those first posts are *stultifyingly* noisy; then I've caught typos, on top of project-to-project degrees of variation (& I read more projects than I record for). You've handled me more gracefully than some, Anne, thanks.
Reading it requires some patience. patience is really needed because it is important and varies from one project to another.
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

JohanLiebert wrote:
cynm1788 wrote:those first posts
Reading it requires some patience. patience is really needed because it is important and varies from one project to another.
I know there exist axioms about what comes to "those who wait". My own ethic directs "due diligence" to be translated into "things to do". The pangs that come of self-doubt--is that really? no, i must be reading it wrong--squelch the happy-factor of my having to become a newbie again after too, too long. But I'm really noticing the grooves available to all comers. No wonder LibriVox feels, to me at least, like a successful place to hang around.

Still, I haven't done more than record for other people's projects, and I do have a grandma or two of my own to consider. I haven't even been able to try my hand at PL-ing, since my initial abruption. Good thing, really, since my ISP wants to monitor my usage, so they might charge me if I exceed some limit [ending in "GB", and I've been diddling around with "MB" and even "KB" data-chunks].

At least some of the PL notes start to make sense, in their way, as well. I'm worried there may be evidence of underpowered systems creating non-reproducible artifacts during playback, but I have no idea how to express my concerns intelligibly, nor to whom, directly. Indirectly, I'm feeling more of a welcoming vibe than thread-only typed-by-me posts have reaped in responses. Thanks, LV.
\\//_ -- cyn
____

"Word of the day"
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Which files are you worried about the playback ? To explain , our complete books are stored at Archive which is enormous and can sometimes , combined with your ISP give flawed downloads, especially if they are big files .
The uploaded files in the MW are stored on our own server - well the one we pay for at present.
I haven't had any problems with our files - and I have in the last 12 months gone from an anciest computer and dial up internet so it was a primitive set up and haven't had problems that I can remember but an upload then a download does give any rogue space gremlins a chance to munch a bit or 2. So which have you noticed had problems?

Many people never PL , some don't read - everything is a team effort - and once you have an idea about things you are welcome to start a Solo - the MC will help you in the bits you don't know. So read a few and post a Solo

It is very hard to write full instructions - there are so many variations in the projects that size does not fit all. If we stuck to only recording novels with medium size chapters and only 1 language , and no chapter numbers with roman numerals and all solos and everyone lived in USA etc then the first post would be much less noisy.
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

cynm1788 wrote: At least some of the PL notes start to make sense, in their way, as well. I'm worried there may be evidence of underpowered systems creating non-reproducible artifacts during playback, but I have no idea how to express my concerns intelligibly, nor to whom, directly. Indirectly, I'm feeling more of a welcoming vibe than thread-only typed-by-me posts have reaped in responses. Thanks, LV.
I think Anne is well on the way to answering your questions, there, but I just wanted to say that as a non-native speaker of English, your last is intelligible to me while I had no idea what the first one meant (which is why Anne was the one answering, she's the clever one :D).
Posting in the forums is the way to ask questions. Writing precise and to-the-point posts is a good idea too (I actually think non-native English speakers are over-represented in the admin team and most of us are more comfortable with old English (that you find in public domain books, for instance :wink:)) than with slang or street-language, for instance).
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

Thank you, Anne and Nadine, for your most recent posts [shout out to April: less recent, still appreciated].

In my most narcissistic LibriVox fantasy, you might see an improvement in whatever the BCs have been being forced to use for their "Page One" TEMPLATE--a beastie i myself have ne'er espied {<= IP!}
\\//_ -- cyn
____

"Word of the day"
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

annise wrote:Which files are you worried about the playback ? To explain , our complete books are stored at Archive which is enormous and can sometimes , combined with your ISP give flawed downloads, especially if they are big files .
The uploaded files in the MW are stored on our own server - well the one we pay for at present.
I haven't had any problems with our files - and I have in the last 12 months gone from an anciest computer and dial up internet so it was a primitive set up and haven't had problems that I can remember but an upload then a download does give any rogue space gremlins a chance to munch a bit or 2. So which have you noticed had problems?
I'll be interested to hear how your perceptions of interface change under the influence of escaping dial-up. Luckily, I've had a couple of years to accustom my sense of ISP "rush hours" [aka server lag of local origin], but without supplementary feedback from widgets I cannot be bothered to tinker with, I doubt I'll be able to distinguish LV-based lag from at&t [local], barring total crash-out, the net-gods forbid.

Just for emphasis, having typed ^all of that^, most-self-gratuitously, the only files, as yet, that I have played back {on my Mac mini} have been my own, in the course of editing, and a few not-very-random samples. If the/my system resources shift suddenly, it will result in a non-reproducible boo-boo during playback.
annise wrote:Many people never PL , some don't read - everything is a team effort - and once you have an idea about things you are welcome to start a Solo - the MC will help you in the bits you don't know. So read a few and post a Solo
I wish to indicate what genuine relief was mine when it *finally* sank in that, no, really, A Volunteer gets to play where They can, without [Official LibriVox] pressure to "provide maintenance" for Someone Else's Project.
annise wrote:It is very hard to write full instructions - there are so many variations in the projects that size does not fit all. If we stuck to only recording novels with medium size chapters and only 1 language , and no chapter numbers with roman numerals and all solos and everyone lived in USA etc then the first post would be much less noisy.
Anne, I've had to work under managers who didn't like the technology they couldn't handle, even when it wasn't in their job description to be able to handle that tech, being "management".

Fear me, or not, but I'm not "management". :twisted:

Oh, and, Anne, if you're genuinely upset with me? i can't tell...i like you
\\//_ -- cyn
____

"Word of the day"