Using Your iPhone for Recording

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Symmie

Post by Symmie »

I did a search and did not see this listed anywhere else but wanted to explain the process I just found for using my iPhone voice memos to record rather than a my mic.

One reason I even tried this was because I have a very cheap mic, cannot afford a better one, but have a beautiful iPhone (work paid for) and that records MUCH better than my mic ever did. The quality and consistency are tremendous improvements. One catch though is that it took up several megabytes of space on my phone, but you could always work it in smaller sections if needed.

Here's how I did it:
1. Record the session as a voice memo. I simply did this by holding my iphone near my mouth. I did a little bit of a test run, playing it back and it did well with not having to hold it real close and still not picking up many ambient sounds.

2. Sync my phone with my computer. iTunes does have a glitch with the iPhone 4 with voice memos not always showing up. I did resolve this, not sure exactly how I did but I did.

3. Convert the file from .aac to .wav. I found this website that converts for free: http://media.io/?0.36158052409729635
I'm sure there is software as well, but I love free and the quality, again, seemed to be fine.

4. Open in Audacity and edit. Mind you it is stereo and you need to change it to mono. I am not sure if there is a setting in voice memos to change this from the start (probably take up less space) but its as simple as clicking tracks, stereo track to mono and then deleting one of the tracks.

This whole process turned out a much better recording than I ever did with my mic and I enjoyed it so much better it is partially responsible for bringing me back to recording after a year hiatus. The other reason was I finally got used to life as a homeowner :D

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I have only done this once (just signed up for another chapter though) so I may not know the answer. Lastly if you have questions about the voice memo glitch I can tell you what I did and see if that helps you.
Last edited by Symmie on August 28th, 2011, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sounds great!

The only thing is that I would be concerned that the stereo/mono thing might make it so the sound only comes out one speaker. When I convert, I usually go to Tracks/Stereo to Mono.

Your mileage may vary. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Also be careful if you are hand holding the phone; volume levels with hand held mics tends to fluctuate up and down because the reader does not realize they are moving it in and out or turning away from it as they record.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
Symmie

Post by Symmie »

TriciaG wrote:Sounds great!

The only thing is that I would be concerned that the stereo/mono thing might make it so the sound only comes out one speaker. When I convert, I usually go to Tracks/Stereo to Mono.

Your mileage may vary. ;)
You are correct and that is actually what I did, I just didn't explain it well :) . I changed the step in the original post in case anyone else reads it and tries it. Thank you!
Symmie

Post by Symmie »

KiltedDragon wrote:Also be careful if you are hand holding the phone; volume levels with hand held mics tends to fluctuate up and down because the reader does not realize they are moving it in and out or turning away from it as they record.
I will, thank you. I finished editing my first try at this last night and did not notice anything but it was a while ago when I recorded it so I cannot remember how much I moved. I will play with it and see what my range is exactly.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Symmie wrote:
KiltedDragon wrote:Also be careful if you are hand holding the phone; volume levels with hand held mics tends to fluctuate up and down because the reader does not realize they are moving it in and out or turning away from it as they record.
I will, thank you. I finished editing my first try at this last night and did not notice anything but it was a while ago when I recorded it so I cannot remember how much I moved. I will play with it and see what my range is exactly.
Also, when holding it in your hand, it will pick up any movement of your hand on the phone. You have to remain calm. lol. I always suggest some sort of stand.

Oh and can some wiki-savvy admin add these instructions to the wiki?

Esther :) <----wiki-challenged
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Symmie

Post by Symmie »

Starlite wrote: Also, when holding it in your hand, it will pick up any movement of your hand on the phone. You have to remain calm. lol. I always suggest some sort of stand.
LOL, this is why I love it more than my headset. A LOT less noise than with my headset. I have a pretty lousy headset! I noticed a couple of pops when I would says p's on my last recording but it was maybe 2 compared to every single time on the headset. Plus on my headset I got a TON of static sound and had to do some filters. I have none with the iphone. I am going to play with it some more and next time hold the mic away from my mouth more and see if I still get enough amplification while losing the popping.

Thanks all. I am really enjoying recording again. I was beginning to hate it with the old headset but this is SO much better for me. I keep forgetting to record a sample for ya, but you can always go listen to "Pursuit of God" which is my solo right now. All sections except 01 are recorded on my iphone. :lol:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If you have problems with popping, try moving it to the side a bit - closer to your cheek than your nose. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Symmie

Post by Symmie »

TriciaG wrote:If you have problems with popping, try moving it to the side a bit - closer to your cheek than your nose. ;)
Will do. Thx
Symmie

Post by Symmie »

Just an update...I downloaded the free app Wavepad Audio Editor which is free and am using that to record as a .wav file. This time I am using the iphone headphones as my mic and can hold that to my mouth as needed. I can email shorter files or grab the files from my iphone (apps, file sharing) to save to my computer. I haven't played with the app's editing side yet but the recording side is nice.