A general "thank you" and my first personal one's

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
GrownupDaria

Post by GrownupDaria » April 17th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Dear People of Librivox,

First, a plain “thank you” is just not enough to express my gratitude in words. I’ve been mostly bedridden for over a year with severe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It is probably less known that CFS very often comes with some kind of sensory overstimulation. Since I got sick, and even more so since my condition got worse, I can’t stand any noise or visual stimulation. I spend most of my days in bed, with earplugs, in half-darkness. (Un)fortunately, I’m also a student – so all my reading abilities are invested in study. Before I got sick I used to read A LOT (fiction, history, philosophy) and listen to music. And when I got sick, and all the reading I could do was for my studies – I just couldn’t find anything to do to get some rest. I wore myself down with reading what I HAD to read.

And then I discovered LV. I started with some heavy stuff (Cicero, Homer, and I’m not a native English speaker, as you can probably tell already), and it was a slow start. A couple of months ago I dived into the LV archives – and now I can finally not only get the rest that I need (and I need A LOT of rest), but I also found that books that I’ve been putting off for decades in my native language (Hebrew) as being “too demanding” came easily when being read to me – and in English!

I also found books that have never been translated to Hebrew (and probably never will be).

My personal “thank you’s” (I don’t know how to tag people, so whoever reads this – please pass it on to these readers):

Dear Expatriate, so far I’ve listened to your reading of “Crome Yellow” by Aldous Huxley, some of Emma Goldman, and most importantly – “The Shadowline” by Joseph Conrad, who is by far one of my favorite writers (if not THE favorite). I’ve read “The Secret Agent” and “Under Western Eyes” a few years ago (and in Hebrew) and was amazed to hear that the exact voice and tone that echoed in my head while reading (in Hebrew!!) was your tone and voice in “The Shadowline” ! There is something about the way you read, the sense of urgency on one hand and the casualness on the other that sounds exactly as the pre-WW2 (and pre-WW1) writers should sound. It’s like as if you “get the zeitgeist”. Amazing!

Thank you, Lee Smalley, for “100%: A story of a Patriot” by Upton Sinclair. I actually felt that your reading made this book better than if I had read it myself. This was my first Sinclair, and I hope one day to listen to “The Brass Check” .

Thank you, Mark F. Smith, for “Kidnapped” by Robert Louis Stevenson. I’m trying to look up the books that I’ve read as a child so I can read them to my son (if available in recent translations, the Hebrew language has changed so much over the past 30-40 years). To my ears, your Scottish pronunciation sounded just perfect!

And last (for the time being), thank you, Adrian Praetzellis, for “Kim” by Rudyard Kipling. I’ve read (or my parents read to me in Russian, since I immigrated from the country-that-exists-no-more, the USSR, when I was 5) “Just So Stories” and “The Jungle Book” , but never “Kim” (excellent!) although I actually know a man whose name is Kim after this book (a very unusual name for a man here).

I would like to apologize to all the female readers: I value your work highly, it’s just too difficult for me to listen to high-pitched voices. So, being the feminist that I am, on account of that d***** CFS I’ll have to stick to readings by men until I get better.

THANK YOU!

(And if there’s a way to tag readers’ names, I would be grateful for instructions. I failed to find it myself.)

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » Yesterday, 6:14 am

Welcome!

Thank you for sharing a bit of your life with us. :)

There is no way to tag people in the forums. I have sent a private message to each of the named readers and pointed them to this message. 8-)
Fiction, partly about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late
Watergate Report, volume 3: Here
E E Cummings' time in French prison: The Enormous Room

Kaffen

Post by Kaffen » Yesterday, 1:25 pm

I appreciate your words, Daria... although I'm betting there are plenty of folks who read this forum that would dispute my Scottish accent! :lol: Ah well, I know I am at least a clear reader, and the important thing is for the author's words to come through. That, I will take credit for! :D
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings