LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post Posted:: August 12th, 2017, 10:55 am 

smijen wrote:
Plaidsicle - your work is fascinating, thanks for sharing! Re Distributed Proofreaders, I actually found it easier to jump in there than I did with LV. Maybe because I have worked as an editor in Real Life and/or maybe because there's no special equipment required (i.e., you don't have to figure out the microphone, noise reduction, etc.). I've been a member there for almost 5 years, but have nowhere near Don's experience (I've proofed about 2000 pages, nothing else). I find it really easy to just drop in and proof a few pages now and then. You don't even need to look at the forums, and you don't need to understand all the work that formatters, post-processors, etc. do. It works for me because LV is my "primary" community, so to speak, whereas I just pop into DP when I have time.

thanks for sharing this, too. I should probably give it another chance over there, when I have more time. the registration process must have intimidated me or something, last I looked.

Post Posted:: August 29th, 2017, 6:52 am 

Just something very quick.

Thank you for sharing your presentations. Really well done and with very good insight.
I do not find the documentation, the wiki, messy. I have about the same experience in terms of time as you, plaidscicle, here in librivox, about one year and a half. I am may be a particular beast, as I am only a cover maker here. I have not jumped to the pool of recording, which is the essential contribution.

I think the essence of this community is that is mostly a community of book lovers. There are writers, bloggers, students, librarians (I think), actors, ....from all around the world. If the output would be roses or stamp collections, I think the community would be quite different.

Regards,

Basquetteur

Post Posted:: August 29th, 2017, 7:11 am 

thanks for your thoughts, Basquetteur.
one important part of my research involves getting input and feedback from other volunteers and hearing directly about their experiences-- so I'm very grateful for your response.

it is interesting to think about how the mission of LV shapes the kind of community it is. book lovers. and that's what brings us together to work on whatever pieces of LV we each work on. and then maybe we find more/different reasons to stay and learn more and keep volunteering.