Audiobooks (including LibriVox) in academia

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

smijen wrote:Plaidsicle - your work is fascinating, thanks for sharing! Re Distributed Proofreaders, I actually found it easier to jump in there than I did with LV. Maybe because I have worked as an editor in Real Life and/or maybe because there's no special equipment required (i.e., you don't have to figure out the microphone, noise reduction, etc.). I've been a member there for almost 5 years, but have nowhere near Don's experience (I've proofed about 2000 pages, nothing else). I find it really easy to just drop in and proof a few pages now and then. You don't even need to look at the forums, and you don't need to understand all the work that formatters, post-processors, etc. do. It works for me because LV is my "primary" community, so to speak, whereas I just pop into DP when I have time.
thanks for sharing this, too. I should probably give it another chance over there, when I have more time. the registration process must have intimidated me or something, last I looked.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Just something very quick.

Thank you for sharing your presentations. Really well done and with very good insight.
I do not find the documentation, the wiki, messy. I have about the same experience in terms of time as you, plaidscicle, here in librivox, about one year and a half. I am may be a particular beast, as I am only a cover maker here. I have not jumped to the pool of recording, which is the essential contribution.

I think the essence of this community is that is mostly a community of book lovers. There are writers, bloggers, students, librarians (I think), actors, ....from all around the world. If the output would be roses or stamp collections, I think the community would be quite different.

Regards,

Basquetteur
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thanks for your thoughts, Basquetteur.
one important part of my research involves getting input and feedback from other volunteers and hearing directly about their experiences-- so I'm very grateful for your response.

it is interesting to think about how the mission of LV shapes the kind of community it is. book lovers. and that's what brings us together to work on whatever pieces of LV we each work on. and then maybe we find more/different reasons to stay and learn more and keep volunteering.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

just today I received an update about the paper version of my Computers and Writing presentation from last year-- here it is, https://wac.colostate.edu/docs/proceedings/cw2016/chesley.pdf finally published in their conference proceedings!
in this short paper, which I wrote over a year ago now, I celebrate LibriVox's and its history a bit, and try to do justice to the patient, awesome ways LVers manage the little controversies that seem to come up again and again (like creative commons vs. PD or the "no unasked for criticisms" policy). I'd love to know what other volunteers think about my representation and discussion. I know my perspective is just one among many.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks so much for sharing this! I for one think you made us all sound pretty awesome! :lol: 8-)

Any news on how it was received?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for that, plaidsicle.
".... I listened to and created annotations for 110 of 144 episodes, comprising about five years of community history (from September 2006 – August 2010). To supplement my annotations, I used the search function on the LibriVox forums to locate the show notes for each episode and any other specific conversations and announcements discussed or referenced in the podcast. Using what I gleaned from these episodes and forum threads, I began constructing a timeline and overview of LibriVox’s history. The following sections briefly describe salient developments from the first ten years of LibriVox ... "
Is there any chance of your showing us the LibriVox history you created? With LV's organic growth, I don't think anyone thought to keep an LV diary as it went on.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

thank you both!

Peter-- yes, I would love to share the timeline I worked on. while my dissertation committee looks over my main chapter drafts, I'm working on organizing the timeline notes I have into something a little more readable. I'll post it when it's ready, and you (and others) who have been here longer can check my work. :)
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That sounds like something that needs to go into our wiki! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
lezer

Post by lezer »

Thank you for sharing, Amelia. Interesting to read an academic view on LibriVox. It increases my appreciation of our community here even more!
Anna
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

Peter Why wrote: April 20th, 2018, 3:31 am
Is there any chance of your showing us the LibriVox history you created? With LV's organic growth, I don't think anyone thought to keep an LV diary as it went on.

Peter
Peter and others who were interested in this timeline-- I've posted a draft for your perusal over in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=70325

You can also take a look at the timeline draft using this link. comments, corrections, and suggestions are very welcome!

someday it would be awesome to get this (or a version of it) added to the wiki for everyone to add to as time continues slipping on by.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

well, a few weeks ago I successfully defended my dissertation to my committee! now I'm knee-deep in doing all the little revisions they asked for, and I barely had the thought to share this artifact from my dissertation defense with you all (since none of you could be there in person :p ) : the handout I made to sum up everything.

once the big fat long dissertation is all finalized, I plan to share that here too. I know not many people will be that interested in such a long document, but since it is about this community, I feel like I'd have to make it available just in case.

soon I will be able to get back to recording for LV, too, instead of just writing about it.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Count me in as interested in seeing your final dissertation. :thumbs:

Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Me too! Thank you for sharing your work :9:
Kathrine
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I'm presenting about LibriVox again! this time at the Conference on College Composition and Communication.

my slides and notes are here
and the lovely voices I sampled for my example slide are all from https://librivox.org/stopping-by-woods-on-a-snowy-evening-by-robert-frost/.
Bob Gonzalez helped me develop this presentation, though he was sadly unable to attend the conference in person.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd