European LibriVox branch?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Here's the forum: http://legamus.eu/forum

I copied a subset of LV's categories there. Hokuspokus, you have admin rights; please feel free to use them as you wish! Anyone else wants some? No fear, there aren't hardly any other users, and I do regular backups :D

Do I resume this correctly? We'd like to have +50 works read by and for +50 countries (Canada), and they'd have to be hosted on a server in those countries, cloud or not. +70 works read by and for +70 and "lesser" countries (Europe and others AND Canada) could be on the same server, if the owner does not mind, or in a +70 country (say Europe). So much for downloading. Everything that is allowed on LibriVox (USA) should go there.

Does that mean that we'd prefer, in the long run, also the rest of our infrastructure (forum, uploader, database, website) just once in a +50 country? Europe goes Canada?

As Kattekliek said, the goal is not to stretch +50 copyright ; languages whose "main audience" is in a +70 country will want to restrict themselves to +70 works. Putting everything to Canada would just allow us to centralise our infrastructure; we need to maintain only one "non-US" place. In other words: if we have a Canadian LV-lookalike, do we still want a European one at all?

With me, everything is fine; I can always export all forum data to a legamus.ca, and if one gives me access, my databases run there as well as in Europe :) As a developer of Free Software, I'm happy to help the technical team: servers, databases, web applications. While I know a little bit about ergonomic interfaces, we'd need someone savvy about the graphical level of web design: colours, buttons, themes...
But there seems so much interest, I'm confident we find several people for all fields! :D

Edited: Australia is not a +50 country any more.
Last edited by Viktor on May 27th, 2011, 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

I'd be happy to help over there, with the little knowledge I have - which means I am happy to help organize and moderate the forums and the projects, and nothing else. :oops: Brazil is a life+70 country, which means in an EU version of Librivox I could read some Portuguese writers whose works I cannot record for Librivox. :twisted: I don't know any German though, which seems to be the big thing over there. :hmm: Do you intend to have forums in many languages? Or can I just ignore the German? :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Viktor wrote:Here's the forum: http://legamus.eu/forum

I copied a subset of LV's categories there. Hokuspokus, you have admin rights; please feel free to use them as you wish! Anyone else wants some? No fear, there aren't hardly any other users, and I do regular backups :D

Do I resume this correctly? We'd like to have +50 works read by and for +50 countries (Canada/Australia), and they'd have to be hosted on a server in those countries, cloud or not. +70 works read by and for +70 and "lesser" countries (Europe and others, Canada, Australia) could be on the same server, if the owner does not mind, or in a +70 country (say Europe). So much for downloading. Everything that is allowed on LibriVox USA should go there.

Does that mean that we'd prefer, in the long run, also the rest of our infrastructure (forum, uploader, database, website) just once in a +50 country? Europe goes Down Under?

As Kattekliek said, the goal is not to stretch +50 copyright ; languages whose "main audience" is in a +70 country will want to restrict themselves to +70 works. Putting everything to Canada or Australia would just allow us to centralise our infrastructure; we need to maintain only one "non-US" place. In other words: if we have a Canadian LV-lookalike, do we still want a European one at all?

With me, everything is fine; I can always export all forum data to a legamus.ca, and if one gives me access, my databases run in Australia as well as in Europe :) As a developer of Free Software, I'm happy to help the technical team: servers, databases, web applications. While I know a little bit about ergonomic interfaces, we'd need someone savvy about the graphical level of web design: colours, buttons, themes...
But there seems so much interest, I'm confident we find several people for all fields! :D
Just to clear something up Australia is not a death plus 50 country - it was but in 2005 the government bowed to pressure and changed it to death plus 70, but did not put things out of copyright in again , so it is now stuck on 1955 till 2026 - as it stands now

Anne
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Leni wrote:I'd be happy to help over there, with the little knowledge I have - which means I am happy to help organize and moderate the forums and the projects, and nothing else. :oops: Brazil is a life+70 country, which means in an EU version of Librivox I could read some Portuguese writers whose works I cannot record for Librivox. :twisted: I don't know any German though, which seems to be the big thing over there. :hmm: Do you intend to have forums in many languages? Or can I just ignore the German? :mrgreen:
I'd be happy to help too :D With the same limitations as Leni (except for the German) but then I could read the phantom of the opera in French :clap: (published 1924 :evil:)
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
kattekliek

Post by kattekliek »

Thanks for adjusting/opening up the legamus.eu forum, Viktor! Shall we now move there for further discussions and close this thread? I think it would be best on the longer run to even take away this thread, to take away threats (pun intended ;)) of lawyers who want to link legamus to librivox and thus fight release of post 1922 works over there.
Do you live in Europe, Canada, Australia, ... any country where death date of author determines if a book is in the Public Domain? Come to legamus.eu to record books published in 1923 or later, written by authors dead since >70 years!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

When the tumult and the shouting dies down a bit , perhaps some one should let Hugh know what is planned ?

Anne
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I've PMed Hugh the other day.
Wandel

Post by Wandel »

I'm wondering - is there any 'official' response to the new platform Legamus? I'm wondering if i'm 'disloyal' if I read my books there and if they will be less 'found'.
Bezoek mijn Librivoxpagina.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I haven't been online on legamus much, but my understanding is that they only record books that are not recordable for LibriVox (at this point).

With copyright being so different - LV adheres to US copyright of "95 years after publication" and legamus to EU copyright of "70 years after author's death" - there are certain books that cannot be recorded for LV even though they are perfectly fine in the EU.

I cannot say anything about the distribution of legamus books, and they do seem to be on some of the same apps as ours, but in general I do feel that legamus is less widely known that LibriVox. Most legamus readers are in fact librivoxers from Europe.

Don't worry about being "disloyal", after all, you can read for both legamus and LibriVox depending on the books you choose. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Wandel wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:53 am I'm wondering - is there any 'official' response to the new platform Legamus? I'm wondering if i'm 'disloyal' if I read my books there and if they will be less 'found'.
"Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days."

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Wandel

Post by Wandel »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 10th, 2021, 4:33 am

"Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.”

Chris
I’m sorry but I don’t have a clue what this means.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Wandel wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:53 am I'm wondering - is there any 'official' response to the new platform Legamus?
Legamus is not that new any more - in summer it will be 10 years ;-)

As Availle said, there are only projects on Legamus that cannot be done on LV (but are public domain in life+70 countries).
So there is no direct competition. And of course it is much much smaller which will explain the lesser visibility. Any app authors are welcome to include its projects, but it's up to them. There was one who actually contacted me, and I made some changes for better access to the metadata.
Wandel

Post by Wandel »

Viktor wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:33 pm
Wandel wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:53 am I'm wondering - is there any 'official' response to the new platform Legamus?
Legamus is not that new any more - in summer it will be 10 years ;-)

As Availle said, there are only projects on Legamus that cannot be done on LV (but are public domain in life+70 countries).
So there is no direct competition. And of course it is much much smaller which will explain the lesser visibility. Any app authors are welcome to include its projects, but it's up to them. There was one who actually contacted me, and I made some changes for better access to the metadata.
I've tried posting but there is no moderator around it seems to approve my posts ...
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

I just approved your post. You will see that it is a small project - that's why, during registration, you are invited to send me an e-mail after 48 hours of non-moderation ;-)
Wandel

Post by Wandel »

Viktor wrote: February 15th, 2021, 10:53 am I just approved your post. You will see that it is a small project - that's why, during registration, you are invited to send me an e-mail after 48 hours of non-moderation ;-)
Aha! Thx!