Now for a cold and heartless review of our work here at LV

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

BradBush wrote:See here for the thread discussion on Learn Out Loud Forum. They really are fans it seems:
http://www.learnoutloud.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605&goto=nextoldest
Thanks for the link, Brad. And top marks to Jim for getting inolved in the forum there! Very nicely handled.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Yakumo wrote:forgive this rude interuption, but I just lisened to the anaversery special, and I must say, it kicks ass!

congradulations and

happy birthday librivox.

Ps. Who cares what Mr. "objective" has to say about us?
Hey, I wonder if he has heard it? Jim, If you see this, maybe you can point them in the direction of the anniversary special. I would love to see him pick that apart LOL. (It realy doesn't matter what he thinks though as long as all you librivoxans liked it) :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Just for the record -- I haven't listened to many whole novels yet, but I've certainly sampled plenty of the poems and short stories, and almost every single one he hated, I liked! I loved the Euthyphro... I don't know how a dialogue is supposed to be narrated, if not dramatically. :D If ever anyone could make Socrates and his idiot interlocutor come to life...well. This recording came as close as you could ever get.

(BTW, we need more Plato in our catalog. :) )

And yeah, I thought his note about the sonnets was funny. "These are very short sonnets" -- as opposed to what, those two famous sonnets by Homer? :wink:

I also enjoyed his near-alarm at the fact that "Rebecca" was a British man! Good lord, what sorts of names are these Britons giving their boy children? :P Do not be fooled!
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
KATWAL

Post by KATWAL »

There might be a man named Rebecca in this fine state or other places in the south.

We have men named Carol, Sheryl, Francis, Sharren, Beverly, Shirley, and many others that I can't think of right now.

Then we also have a man named Boder pronounced Bodo around here! There are nick-names like Toots and Puss.

I'll have to start a list. There are many intersting names, formal and nick!

K
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Caeristhiona wrote:(BTW, we need more Plato in our catalog. :) )
Are ya volunteering? :D ;)
Karen S.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Hehe...whenever possible! I always thought Socrates would do well read by a female voice. Though I hate to think of our reviewer's reaction...

"WARNING: this is not a Greek man! Repeat, this is NOT a Greek man!"
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

hugh wrote:remember that we are DIFFERENT than what most people are used to hearing. except for some pros (chip, gord, ndoo et al) we are mostly amateurs, (from latin, amatorem, "lover") ... and so our recordings sound exactly like what they are: the recordings of non-professionals who love what they are doing. but that's a GOOD thing.

Jon Udell is one of my favourite IT bloggers, here is what he has to say, let this cheer you up a little. he gets it exactly right (i think):
I realized that part of what I cherish is that these recordings aren't commercial products. They're pure expressions of a love of literature, and a desire to share that love.
(emphasis mine).

full post:
http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2006/08/06.html#a1500

h.
Thanks for that link, Hugh, I love it.
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

I wanna hear the Learn Out Loud reviewer guy record a solo book for LibriVox. Then the rest of us can post comments about it on Learn Out Loud. Bwhahahaha!

We'll be totally fair, of course. :wink:
Sandra
[color=purple]As usual, the grownup world made very little sense to me... (Manny Ellis,[i] Neighbourhood Tales[/i])[/color]
GlassMask

Post by GlassMask »

My own opinions so rarely match anyone else's, but I like having them, so I won't deny a reviewer on another site the right to hate things I like or like things I don't.

That said, I do get a little annoyed when someone complains about something that they get for free. . . That's all too common on the internet. If someone else is doing all the work and I get to watch or listen for free, I'm thrilled if I get something cool, and I just don't worry about the parts that don't appeal to me. Not everything is just for me.

Darn it. . . ^_^

Ted
"To those who accept their fate, happiness. To those who defy their fate, glory."
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Mask o' Glass wrote:I do get a little annoyed when someone complains about something that they get for free. . . That's all too common on the internet. If someone else is doing all the work and I get to watch or listen for free, I'm thrilled if I get something cool, and I just don't worry about the parts that don't appeal to me. Not everything is just for me.

Darn it. . . ^_^

Ted
Well put. My sentiments exactly.
Sandra
[color=purple]As usual, the grownup world made very little sense to me... (Manny Ellis,[i] Neighbourhood Tales[/i])[/color]