Spotlight on LibriVox ! !

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

* * * * * Happy Birthday LibriVox! * * * * *
Have you heard The Anniversary Program by Maddie, Esther & you-me-us?

LibriVox is you-me-us, and today's Spotlight is on LibriVox, so let us all tell a little more about Ourself, shall we? Ahem, hi LibriVox, would you (= you) please

Answer 1, 2, or 3 of these questions:

1. What's it like with you . . . ?
. . . in your own part of the LibriVox environment (which spans the globe) . . .
family friends cats dogs birds animalpals . . .
city country village hut tent highrise hobbit-hole . . .
fog rain shine smog hot cold temperate green brown mountain river ocean plain snow sand cement . . .
silence birds bells radio stereo fountain traffic crickets frogs foghorns wind sirens . . .
walk drive bus train skateboard ski row . . .
coffee tea chocolate vanilla lemon cake fruit clams beer spirits springwater . . .
seasons sunsets sunrises morningperson owl . . .

2. What is volunteering like with you . . . ?
. . . in your own doings in the LibriVox activities (which covers a lot of territory) . . .
monthly weekly daily hourly always . . .
reading listening editing teching teaching learning oraganizing simplifying innovating complicating . . .
the books the people the ideas the humor the generosity the talent the scope the challenge . . .
poetry story nonfiction drama solo science language software events technology . . .
earnest irreverent clueless expert serious mischevous polite brash adroit analytic bashful calm excitable . . .

3. Why does the world* like LibriVox . . . ?
. . . what's going on here? (*the world that knows it so far really likes it) . . .
acoustical liberation of books in the public domain, yeah, and . . . ?
people love story, yeah, and . . . ?
it's free, yeah, and . . . ?
the Internet makes it possible, yeah, and . . . ?
what else do you see . . . ?

-----------------------

All Spotlight interviews can be found here:-
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/SpotlightOn
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

. . . currently leading the race for a Libritzer in the Lead Balloon category . . .

I began a lovely and literate answer to 1. which, unfortunately for my future as a writer, was unceremoniously erased in a forum accident. I think it's clear that the you-me-us LibriVox is shy. And very busy elsewhere. :D
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

sorry Anita, I just don't want to think today. Want to sit back and read. Eyes glazing over :shock:
*turns brain off and plunks back in chair*
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie »

Starlite wrote:sorry Anita, I just don't want to think today. Want to sit back and read. Eyes glazing over :shock:
*turns brain off and plunks back in chair*
umm..yeah, what she said. To illustrate the eyes glazing over part, when I read #1 above it says something about 'bells' and I could have sworn
it said Taco Bell!

Maybe that's just cause I really want a bean and rice burrito right now, but I honestly had to read it over several times to convince myself that LibriVox wasn't trying to play on my never ending craving for Taco bell. :roll:
Like their not-so-subliminal-message commercial several years ago with that Chihuahua saying "you are getting sleeeepy, very sleepy. No, wait! You are getting Hungry...."
:lol:

Hmm...that's my answer to #1, what's it like in my LibriVox environment. It's like, I am 3/4 of a mile from the nearest taco bell, and though I did made it there and back in my wheelchair once (when I got really desperate, LOL) my body punished me for a full week afterwards.

Umm...yeah, I think I should have just left it at "too tired to think" :roll:

I nominate myself for the Libritzer for TMI (Too Much Information.) :lol:

Kidding :roll:
[color=green]"Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true...we call it 'history'. "[/color]

[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MermaidMaddie][color=purple]MermaidMaddie's Wiki Page[/color][/url]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

LMAO you are so funny :) I giggled all the way through your post. ok realy going to bed now...... After I check to see if anyone posted after me....
kri

Post by kri »

Starlite wrote:...... After I check to see if anyone posted after me...
You know you're obsessed with LV when....

#2. Volunteering for me is whatever crazy stuff I can think to do, I do. For example, this new Weekly Picks thing. I've got quite a few MC projects, I'm avoiding taking on more to avoid being swamped, and I take on another project. I'm really liking it though! I think that's all part of the insidious nature of LV. It's almost like a drug. You start off with one little recording, one short poem. You're so excited about that poem (I Do Not Love Thee incidentally) that you just have to record something else. Then you obsessively check the thread to see who/what responses to your first/second recordings there are. Then you wind up with almost 100 complete recordings, checking the forum every day several times a day, managing 30 or so projects, maintaining some of the backend of things, helping new people, answering questions, starting new things left and right (OK, so maybe just left), thinking you can juggle two solo projects, considering you could make yourself even more available by trying Skype help, and selling your soul.....

OK, so maybe that's just me.

*is currently in Anita channeling mode*
MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie »

(Interviewer) So, LibriVox...Tell me about your family ? spouse, girl or boy friend, children, grandchildren...

(LibriVox: ) Well, my (founding) Father's name is Hugh, and I have an unbelievably large extended family. Seriously, hundreds...maybe even a thousand. I've lost count. Although there are a good percentage of them that I've only met once and never heard from again, and many that I only hear from occasionably. But with such a huge family, things around my place are rarely quiet. They sure do like to talk alot though! Noisy lot they are.
The good thing is, even though we're such a wacky, large family, we live scattered all over the place, so we don't have the typical, dysfunctional family get-togethers in which crazy uncle Earl spikes the punch, cousin Lou and cousin Kiki fight over whose turn it is to to sit at the kids' table, and crazy Aunt Martha chases you around telling you "oh, look how big you've gotten!!" :roll:

What part of the world do you come from? Live now?

LV: Well, I get around alot, but I suppose my official place of residence is the world wide web.

What do you do here ie read, proof listen, coordinate? and why?

LV: Are you kidding me? All I have to do is be here. I'm fabulous and everybody knows it. I am the life of the party! I just have to show up, really...I prefer to let the aforementioned crazy family do the actual work required to keep me beautiful and interesting.

Is there a particular LibriVox book which you like the best because of the quality, the overall effort involved, its popularity, or for some other reason?

LV: I like them all, because they bear *my* name.

Did you have any Singular events with literature while growing up?

LV: Well, being only a year old, I can't really read for myself. besides, it seems so tiring to have to look at all of those funny letters and figure out what they mean. I just prefer to let others read aloud to me. But I do love literature, I guess you can say it's been a huge part of my life thus far.

What music do you like?

LV: Unfortunately I've not had a whole lot of exposure to music. I *have* heard some music by someone called "public domain," I don't know if that's the latest band the kids are listening to, or what...but I guess I'd say that's my favorite.

Is there anything else you would like to share?

I can't think of anything at the moment, but if I think of anything I'll let you know :)
[color=green]"Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true...we call it 'history'. "[/color]

[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MermaidMaddie][color=purple]MermaidMaddie's Wiki Page[/color][/url]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Thats so cute Maddie. :)
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Oh, that's great!

-Catharine
shortcircuit

Post by shortcircuit »

Lol! That was great, Maddie. :)

Now that you mention it, wouldn't Public Domain be a great name for a band? *is not entirely sure what is wrong with her at the moment*
- Maria
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

shortcircuit wrote:Lol! That was great, Maddie. :)

Now that you mention it, wouldn't Public Domain be a great name for a band? *is not entirely sure what is wrong with her at the moment*
http://www.clubcafelive.com/calendar.asp?id=12&year=2003&index=6

[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]