The Libritzer

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

oh good heavens !

hands-down, Betsie wins Scariest "Awards Nostalgia" Anecdote.
yikes, that needs some shaking off!
that poor, poor little girl!
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

I love all these ideas :D
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

a.r.dobbs wrote:oh good heavens !

hands-down, Betsie wins Scariest "Awards Nostalgia" Anecdote.
yikes, that needs some shaking off!
that poor, poor little girl!
heh... thanks Anita =) ... I'm still going through therapy for it (just kidding) ... I have all sorts of horrid dead dog stories, but I'll save you from them =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
kri

Post by kri »

I think I agree with Denny mostly.

I think if we were to have awards they should be number based, or something that isn't taken too seriously. I like the Wikipedia-style of awards. I don't like the thought of people competing, or trying really hard to do what they're doing just to get an award. I think it's best if people are trying really hard to do what they're doing because it's rewarding, and they want to contribute to a project they love. We may get fewer recordings and less done, but it will be done in a happier environment.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Kri, I'm kind of confused about your comments.... I don't see how these ideas are any different from having Weekly Featured recordings, which doesn't seem to have any concrete selection criteria other than the opinions/preferences of a couple of people.
~ Betsie
kri

Post by kri »

thistlechick wrote:Kri, I'm kind of confused about your comments.... I don't see how these ideas are any different from having Weekly Featured recordings, which doesn't seem to have any concrete selection criteria other than the opinions/preferences of a couple of people.
To me the difference is that we're not saying any one recording is better than the other. The weekly feature, to me, is more....Here is a recording with these good qualities that you might enjoy. It's not necessarily the best, because that all depends on who you're asking. It's also a good way to present the recording while showcasing the reader and what they've done with the text, rather than just say...This is a good book for these reasons, with this basic plot.
johngon

Post by johngon »

thistlechick wrote:I don't see how these ideas are any different from having Weekly Featured recordings
And that is kind of the idea I was thinking... just a year-end event that people could vote on. And only those who wanted to be considered would submit their works.

The main problem I have with download count being the determining factor is that, to put it bluntly, there are projects that are simply higher profile than others - and those would have more downloads, if by no one else than other volunteers who want to hear the final project.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

kri wrote: To me the difference is that we're not saying any one recording is better than the other. The weekly feature, to me, is more....Here is a recording with these good qualities that you might enjoy. It's not necessarily the best, because that all depends on who you're asking. It's also a good way to present the recording while showcasing the reader and what they've done with the text, rather than just say...This is a good book for these reasons, with this basic plot.
...and i suppose this is different from the podcast selections because it has it's own little news item page? ... will we ever showcase really bad readers?
~ Betsie
kri

Post by kri »

thistlechick wrote:...and i suppose this is different from the podcast selections because it has it's own little news item page? ... will we ever showcase really bad readers?
I'm confused about your first statement.

I should hope we never showcase bad readers unless it's something they really want. I think encouragement and positivity is the way to go.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

kri wrote:
thistlechick wrote:...and i suppose this is different from the podcast selections because it has it's own little news item page? ... will we ever showcase really bad readers?
I'm confused about your first statement.

I should hope we never showcase bad readers unless it's something they really want. I think encouragement and positivity is the way to go.
My point in the first part is that we already feature readings by selecting them for the podcast.

My point in the second part is that no matter how you slice it any type of featured recording isn't going to be fair to someone (i.e. to bad readers)... so that someone like me will never be featured unless there is a category for "most annoying speech impediment".
~ Betsie
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

I see a difference, so I'll just speak up.
The listeners get to champion their favorite listens, speak up for them, even analyze them a bit and convey that assessment -- it makes for a little extra thoughtfulness about what is appealing about a reading or readings in general or readings to one particular person. It's almost as revealing about the listener as about the selected, championed piece.

It's a great little new feature.

I have an idea.
How about if folks who really do have some idea of what would make a Great Libritzer Award kind of methodology, think their idea out a bit into a post. Suppose there are 7 people who love the idea and actually have a few pieces of a clear picture in their mind. Let's hear their 7 clear pictures of whatever piece they see.

Rather than starting off with committee design and simultaneous approval or disapproval going on -- not a very um, healthy environment usually for actually generating ideas -- let's start with some plumped up individual visions. Keep it all in the Yes-And stage of thinking for a while. Then whittle down to some actual suggestions for folks to show thumbs up or down.

I adore brainstorming.
Anita
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Right, but we'll never have a "Featured Weekly Editor" or "Featured Weekly Proof-Listener" or "Featured Weekly MC or BC" ... or all of the other parts that go into making Librivox what it is... if all of the focus is always on the readers we're giving the impression that all of the other volunteer activities aren't as valuable and that the only way to be recognized is to be a stellar reader... which most of us are not.
~ Betsie
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Oh, I have a brilliant Idea if I do say so m'self . . .
Betsie writes:
no matter how you slice it any type of featured recording isn't going to be fair to someone (i.e. to bad readers)... so that someone like me will never be featured unless there is a category for "most annoying speech impediment".

[this is not instead of the LibriVitzer or the Featured Thing or the Podcast whatever; it's in addition]

Let's have a Random Reading featured each week.
From among all the works that have not been otherwise featured,
somehow a completely arbitrary reading is selected -- truly randomly.
That random selection is featured for one week in the forum, during which time it is listened to by folks who have some time -- as much as they're able or are interested in, etc. and they make comments on it. I loved this, I marveled at that, the ideas were, the reading was, the author said, at first I thought, blah blah blah

And then comments are selected and placed in a catalogue page for that piece and it's the random feature that week.

How loveable is THAT?
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

thistlechick wrote:Right, but we'll never have a "Featured Weekly Editor" or "Featured Weekly Proof-Listener" or "Featured Weekly MC or BC" ... or all of the other parts that go into making Librivox what it is... if all of the focus is always on the readers we're giving the impression that all of the other volunteer activities aren't as valuable and that the only way to be recognized is to be a stellar reader... which most of us are not.
<sigh>
man, I can't think ideas fast enough here

wanders back to drawing board
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Maybe Spotlight On . . . can cover some of that territory.