LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently September 22nd, 2017, 9:52 am

Post Posted:: January 21st, 2011, 10:08 am 

can we start a separate message board for "microphone reviews"?
That way the board could have dedicated, persistent topics/discussions for the various microphone brands that won't get lost in a sea of other topics.

I bought a Shure SM57 based on librivox's recommendation: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/User-Recommended_Equipment

It turned out to be a mistake. see this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30828

I returned the SM57 yesterday and ordered a Samson Zoom H2, thanks to Ester's recommendation (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28282 ) and most importantly I was able to base that purchase decision on listening to mp3 samples with that mic.

This librivox collection http://librivox.org/recordings-on-mp3-players-and-other-portable-devices/ was tremendously helpful in helping me make up my mind which microphone to get. It would be great if we could make follow up collections for non-portable microphones as well. A much simpler and quicker solution would be to request some readers who have previously read/recorded for librivox to describe their setup, and cite an example chapter of a book they recorded. Hypothetical sample post in the thread:

"I recorded chapter 3 of Alice in Wonderland [link here] using a 10$ labtec usb wand microphone, held about 8 inches away directly in front, with a pop screen made of pantyhose stretched over a coat hanger, sitting in my carpeted closet. I used audacity, normalized, noise cleaned. Another mp3 sample - my one minute test with same microphone, but no noise cleanup or amplification in audacity. [link] "

Of the 3500+ works recorded at librivox, I'm sure we could easily assemble an amazing data base of mp3 samples from which shoppers could make prudent choices on which microphone to buy or avoid.

Post Posted:: January 22nd, 2011, 11:06 am 

You could start here:

viewtopic.php?t=19694

My website
My Librivox reader page

Post Posted:: January 23rd, 2011, 9:32 am 

Thanks for that link SJMarky! (it contains mp3 samples he made directly comparing several condenser microphones)
That's precisely why I think we need a dedicated board, so threads like that pointing to valuable samples don't get lost in the shuffle from non-microphone related posts.

Post Posted:: January 30th, 2011, 3:10 pm 

link to blue microphone thread (yeti and snowball)
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31036

samson vs. yeti thread
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29684

Post Posted:: January 30th, 2011, 5:15 pm 

Frank, you may want to do a project similar to my portable mp3 one asking readers to read a small poem and do NO or very little processing and post what kind of mic they are using. This way the files will end up on archive and not get lost on the uploader.

... just a thought

Esther :D

Post Posted:: February 3rd, 2011, 1:21 pm 

thanks Esther, I'll propose that idea in the new projects section.
(edit: that thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31216 )
And thanks for the recommendation on the Zoom H2! I love this thing.