'Thank you' messages for Librivox in general

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i second that :9:
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for Everyone via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I'm a farmer, so I spend a lot of time outside by myself doing pretty basic tasks. I was absolutely thrilled to discover LibriVox this summer! By the time I finished my first book, The Count of Monte Cristo, I was actually sad to see it end because I knew I would miss the repeat readers. I would never have made the time to read Les Miserables, even in the off season, but it kept me entertained while I weeded and watered for two weeks and I'm so glad to have "read" it. Today I'm in the mood for something light and quick, so I'm downloading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I'm already looking forward to becoming a volunteer this winter once the farm is put to bed. Thank you all for your hard work!

Appreciatively,
Amanda
Carolin
Cori

Post by Cori »

Via our LinkedIn group ...
Lately, I'm listening to a lot of librivox books (mostly SF - in English) and enjoying them a lot. M.Z. Bradley, H. Harrison, HG Wells, etc. Transmit my thanks to all concerned, will you?

-- Christian
:D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for Everyone! via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I want to say thank you to all of the Librivox team and its narrators. I have been listening for over two years now and you guys do a phenomenal job. I have to admit that my two favorites are Andy Minter and Denny Sayers. Those two make the works really come alive. John Gonzales is another that always makes the tales really seem real, particularly in his reading of “Dracula”. As for Mr. Minter and Mr. Sayers, their rendition of “The Tragedy of King Lear” was absolutely superb. Once again, thank you all and keep up the wonderful work!

Scott

Jordan, NY
Carolin
J_N

Post by J_N »

Just in via facebook
Mette Reedtz wrote: Good evening all and thank you for accepting me here. I am a new listener, and would like to say an enormous thank you to all of you who spend your time recording wonderful books for us to listen to. I have so far enjoyed Treasure Island, all the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, and I am now biting my nails listening to Dracula. Very well done everyone and thank you.
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

This came via the help desk - a thank you and a plea
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the books, for what you are doing. Many wonderful readers. No specific problems, just in general:

Please ask readers to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n. Frequently encountered problem, making many favorite books with otherwise good readers totally unlistenable to. Hard to comprehend (especially complex sentences and complicated plots) when reader is speeding thru the book. Need to read slower than what one would read for oneself if able to look at words as well as hear them.
I would have to second this - an unfamiliar accent and a fast reading can make it very difficult to follow - by the time youhave waorked out what was said , you have missed the next bit. And by unfamiliar accents I just mean ones the listener is not used to hearing - not non native spaeakers :D
J_N

Post by J_N »

annise wrote:This came via the help desk - a thank you and a plea
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the books, for what you are doing. Many wonderful readers. No specific problems, just in general:

Please ask readers to s-l-o-w d-o-w-n. Frequently encountered problem, making many favorite books with otherwise good readers totally unlistenable to. Hard to comprehend (especially complex sentences and complicated plots) when reader is speeding thru the book. Need to read slower than what one would read for oneself if able to look at words as well as hear them.
I would have to second this - an unfamiliar accent and a fast reading can make it very difficult to follow - by the time you have worked out what was said , you have missed the next bit. And by unfamiliar accents I just mean ones the listener is not used to hearing - not non native spaeakers :D
:hmm: isn't speed a very subjective thing? I personally prefer fast readings (for listening, I speed almost all recordings up to somewhere between 1.5x and 2x) - so I would ask ppl to speed up (but since I can change the speed to my liking while playing, I don't really care :twisted:) but I have also realized that there is something like a 'natural' speed... something where it feels comfortable to read and you make the fewest mistakes :)

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I know blind listeners speed things up -otherwise they would never get through all their "reading" but do you find you can speed up all readers or only some ? Some people can read fast and precisely , others can't - but yes like everything it is subjective :D
J_N

Post by J_N »

annise wrote:I know blind listeners speed things up -otherwise they would never get through all their "reading" but do you find you can speed up all readers or only some ? Some people can read fast and precisely , others can't - but yes like everything it is subjective :D
I think I have never not sped up a reading (I am talking of my main languages German and English; it's different for French and Japanese - those I tend to slow down a bit)... even commercial ones - though those I tend to speed up a bit less... I am not blind but I am quite a fast reader (when I read silently), so maybe that's why I prefer it faster :hmm:

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for EVERYONE via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
thank you.
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

I would like to take a moment to thank all the readers for librivox. Your sacrifice is greatly appreciated. I wish I could read out loud, so I could help. But, unfortunately, I don't have a reader's voice. I mumble and am mono-toned. I've tried to change this, but haven't been successful. So, your talent is a wonderful gift to all us. Thank you.

Dee
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

It's been very helpful to get ears involved. . . .
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hi,

I feel lucky to have come across the Librivox. I have learnt a lot form the audio books.I feel it has made a more mature man.

I Thank all the readers of the Librivox for their incredible efforts in bringing up the audio books.

Cheers,
Arshad
Peaceful Soul
[INDIA]
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »