'Thank you' messages for Librivox in general

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
lezer

Post by lezer »

I've decided to post the "Thank you" messages that we get for Librivox in general (through the 'Thank a reader' feature) in this separate thread - they were getting lost among the numerous messages to specific readers - and they are too nice to be missed!
This is a thread for 'thank you' messages, received via the 'Thank a reader' feature.
If you'd like to chime in to someone's praise, just click the 'Quote' button on the top right of that post, and type your own message underneath.
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Sova S wrote:Thank You very much for your free audiobooks.
I love all the adventures Sherlock Holmes.
I´m downloading files about Sherlock Holmes stories.
Thank you for the opportunity to listen to my favorite stories.
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

James S. wrote:Good People @ Librivox,
I just wanted to drop you a brief note of appreciation. I know it's not easy doing the work you do, and less so to do it while scraping for the means to make it possible.

I spent my life (well, from about the age of 12) in love with books. Especially Sci-fi. But that didn't keep me from reading all sorts of other adventures, historical & utterly fiction. I've since developed a taste for books of the purely historical, theological, classical, etc, genre. I lived for free time to read. I was never more than an arms reach from a book.

However, a few years ago, I developed some medical conditions that have since required me to take medications that make reading to any extent nearly impossible. Even keeping my eyes focused while I type this letter is a chore. I also will typically end up nodding off & have to re-read the same paragraph or page repeatedly inorder to maintain the sense of continuity with what I have previously read. Thus I discovered audiobooks!!!!
While I could still work, buying the occasional audiobook new release or watching for & hitting the sales was not overly burdensome. However, after I lost my first wife & then went on SS Disability, the purchase of audiobooks trickled to a near stop. Therefore, you can understand how stunned I was to discover (only this last week) that there were actually "FREE" audiobooks to be had on the web! Out of nowhere I had the thought to run a search on-line for "free audiobooks on-line". While expecting little, I was floored to find myself at the website: http://www.booksshouldbefree.com

From what I've discovered thus far, you seem to be leaders in the field. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself becoming reacquainted with my old friends, the Edgar Rice Burroughs "Barsoom" books. I can only imagine what else is available. Thus far the recording quality has been excellent! Aside from listening to the little promo for Librivox every 2 chapters, it's like getting lost in a book in my childhood all over again.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you & your compatriots are doing. I don't know how often you are praised for your efforts, but I'm sure it's no where near often enough. You are providing a badly needed service and I can't imagine it being done unless it is with a genuine Christ-like charity. My wife & I read scripture to each other nightly, taking turns, 1/2 a chapter each, each night. Even a 1/2 chapter (say...18-20 verses), if attempting to read with the feeling of the speaker, is no mean feat. God bless you all in your endeavours. May your every effort meet with outstanding success. You are appreciated more than you know.

James S.
Num 6:24-26
Anna
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Oh my. That goes in deep, James, very deep.

David
lezer

Post by lezer »

Linda G wrote:Hello, I am so glad I found this site and you are out there doing this. I am excited to know I can have more and look forward to many more books. Thank you so much. Linda
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hilary wrote:Thank you (all of you) who put forth the time and effort of reading Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice! It was such a lovely ending to my day when I found out that I would be able to listen to the book instantly!

What a wonderful little thing you've got going on!

Keep up the great work!

Hilary
Group project: http://librivox.org/pride-and-prejudice-by-jane-austen/

(But there are also 3 solo completed projects of this, and currently 2 more projects in progress. Wonder how many there will be by the end of 2011...)
Anna
kayray

Post by kayray »

I checked for the keyword "librivox" on twitter, and today there were three lovely "thank you" messages in a row!

photo by kayray, on Flickr
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Hee, I also check Twitter for librivox -- and libravox and librovox. Bless 'em :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
lezer

Post by lezer »

Ariel E. B. wrote:My gratitude to all of you who have read The History of England by Lord Macaulay. I haven't included your names because there are many, and some of you have not said who you are. There are different voices. I thank all of you. I have a garden, and I work on it almost every day, when trials leave me time (I am a law clerk at the Supreme Court). I always take my player and headphones and listen to you while I work in the garden. I have done it for hours and days. I have learned so much and enjoyed so much. I haven't finished listening to all the chapters. You have made my days more beautiful.

You have done a magnificent work. I have told friends, and made copies for them. Of course, this is not a best seller. But year after year, people will discover the book as I did. And then they will look for the audiobook. They will find your work. When I did, I was certain that I had discovered a treasure. I made copies on CD in fear that it would disappear. But no, it was a silly idea. It will remain for generations of people who will love it and thank you as I do.

It would be great if you could read some of the essays in Macaulay's Critical and Historical Essays. For instance Clive and Warren Hastings. Also Southey's colloquies and the essay on Milton and Addison, etc. Of course, that might not be feasible. What you have already done is more than enough. It is just that I would like more.

Do you know that Conan Doyle wrote "I can remember that when I visited London at the age of sixteen the first thing I did after housing my luggage was to make a pilgrimage
to Macaulay's grave" (he wrote that in Through the Magic Door)?

I have had the wish of thanking you for a long time. Now I have found this way. What you have done is great. Now I must leave you. It is time I pick my player, headphones, go to the garden, and listen to you.

Ariel E. B.

Argentina
Link to The History of England by Macaulay
Anna
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

I'd like to add my thanks to all the people who came together to make the audio recordings happen and to those who continued the project after I wandered off.
I disagree with Macaulay on so many issues but he's still a delight to read and just wonderful fun.
The essay on Clive is good. I remember cutting up the text into sections for making an audio recording but never getting further than that. As for the essay on Warren Hastings - hmm, I enjoyed it but the whole situation is quite complicated and is difficult to get to grips with. I'm not even sure Macaulay really understood, himself, why Hastings was pursued so by the English Parliament in the same way I don't think he understood, emotionally, why the Duke of Marlborough was so villified. Macaulay thinks there's no smoke without fire but where power and envy is concerned I think there is lots of smoke without fire
Anyways, I'm getting off the point here. Thanks to all who took part iin the Macaulay project and to Ariel E. B. who took the trouble to write in and express such gratitude.
Kind regards

Jim

lezer wrote:
Ariel E. B. wrote:My gratitude to all of you who have read The History of England by Lord Macaulay. I haven't included your names because there are many, and some of you have not said who you are. There are different voices. I thank all of you. I have a garden, and I work on it almost every day, when trials leave me time (I am a law clerk at the Supreme Court). I always take my player and headphones and listen to you while I work in the garden. I have done it for hours and days. I have learned so much and enjoyed so much. I haven't finished listening to all the chapters. You have made my days more beautiful.

You have done a magnificent work. I have told friends, and made copies for them. Of course, this is not a best seller. But year after year, people will discover the book as I did. And then they will look for the audiobook. They will find your work. When I did, I was certain that I had discovered a treasure. I made copies on CD in fear that it would disappear. But no, it was a silly idea. It will remain for generations of people who will love it and thank you as I do.

It would be great if you could read some of the essays in Macaulay's Critical and Historical Essays. For instance Clive and Warren Hastings. Also Southey's colloquies and the essay on Milton and Addison, etc. Of course, that might not be feasible. What you have already done is more than enough. It is just that I would like more.

Do you know that Conan Doyle wrote "I can remember that when I visited London at the age of sixteen the first thing I did after housing my luggage was to make a pilgrimage
to Macaulay's grave" (he wrote that in Through the Magic Door)?

I have had the wish of thanking you for a long time. Now I have found this way. What you have done is great. Now I must leave you. It is time I pick my player, headphones, go to the garden, and listen to you.

Ariel E. B.

Argentina
Link to The History of England by Macaulay
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=75]Jim Mowatt[/url] - [url=http://historyzine.com]Historyzine - The History Podcast[/url]
lezer

Post by lezer »

Jan M. wrote:I think Librivox is the way to go when driving – I get to listen to talented readers reading good literature
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Amy wrote:A very happy new year to Librivox [...]. You have made a difference in many people’s lives. Thank you for what you have done and continue to do.
With much gratitude,
Amy
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Adam W. from Canada wrote:I am a truck driver on the road 4 days a week. I rely on Librivox to keep me going. I have lost taste for the radio long ago. I find listening to the audio books supplied by Librivox to be entertaining and a great way to take a chance and experience the classics.
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Priyank M wrote:Hello Librivox readers,
In this material world, Librivox is simply like finding an oasis amidst desert land.
I have been listening to Librivox e-books since last three four years.
I thanks all the readers from bottom of my heart for all that they are doing.
Words simple cant show my gratitude. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Priyank M
Anna
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »