Spotlight on LibraryLady!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Tell me about your family ? spouse, girl or boy friend, children, grandchildren...

I'm 25 and single. I have a wonderful mom, dad, and sister, and a large extended family including a couple dozen aunts and uncles and 30+ cousins (mom has 12 brothers and sisters).

What part of the world do you come from? Live now?

Born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri. Suburbs actually but close enough. I went to college in a tiny town called Kirksville in northeast Missouri so I got a sample of small town life for those four years. I'm back in St. Louis now, living in my parents' basement, enjoying the good company and free rent and food while I finish my degree. :D

What do you do in "real life"?

Part time librarian, part time grad student in library school. Hopefully will be done in May.

How did you find out about Librivox?

I was taking three classes in the Fall of 05 and two of them led me here: Intro to Information Technology and Library Materials for Teens. In my Teen Lit class we had podcasting as a discussion topic. I had not heard of it before then and around that time I got an iPod for my birthday so I discovered the world of podcasts and started subscribing to a bunch of them. Then for my IT class I decided to do my final project/paper on podcasting. Part of the project was starting up my own podcast and I decided to do free audiobooks. I didn't find LibriVox until the end of November when I was wrapping up research and already podcasting Pride and Prejudice. Of course I joined right away and they welcomed me even though I was recording something they were already doing. And I revamped my paper to include a big piece on LibriVox.

Have you had any previous experience in this area? ie theatre, radio, podcast

Well, if you count starting my own podcast a month before I found LibriVox! But really no in terms of performing or recording. I guess I do have storytelling experience, though, my mom is a preschool teacher and I've spent a lot of time reading books to bright eyed 4 and 5 year olds.

What was your first recording for LibriVox?

I believe it was Sonnet 23 by Shakespeare - a weekly poetry project.

What helped you personally to get through "what-if-i-suck" stage?

Initially, a commitment to try out podcasting for my class project, and soon after that, great feedback from my podcast listeners. Everyone hates the sound of their own voice at first. It just doesn't sound the same as it does in your head. But eventually you realize there's nothing you can do about it so get over it and don't let it hold you back.

What is your recording and editing set up and do you routinely do anything to "sweeten" your audio?

I use a Logitech Headset Mic and Audacity and that's about it. Nothing fancy to it!

What do you do here ie read, proof listen, coordinate? and why?

I started out just reading, like pretty much everyone else here, but Kara soon invited me to be a moderator since I was spending pretty much all my free time here anyhow. :D I coordinated a few group projects and that went well. Back then Kara was the only MC (cataloger) and things were starting to really pick up with more volunteers and completed projects. Betsie (thistlechick) had joined at the same time as me. Kara trained Bets to be an MC and after that Bets trained me. My focus as an MC has always been poetry - weekly poetry, short poetry, poetry collections, whatever. But I also MC'ed a lot of other stuff along the way.

A month or so ago I was starting to get burnt out and I realized it was because I wasn't reading anymore. The amount of time I have to devote to LibriVox each day was getting spent doing MC work and moderating. So I am going into MC semi-retirement, thanks to the help of the other MCs and the many wonderful new MCs in training. From now on I'll focus on being an MC/BC for poetry and doing my solo work. I recorded a lot of chapters in the beginning but I've been trying not to volunteer for too much stuff that I know I won't be able to get to anytime soon.

Is there a particular LibriVox book which you like the best because of the quality, the overall effort involved, its popularity, or for some other reason?

It's a bit like asking a parent to choose his/her favorite child isn't it? So difficult... my all time favorite is Kara's reading of The Secret Garden. This was one of the first "real books" (not a picture book) that my mom would read to me before bed when I was little. Having Kara read it to me was deeply reminiscent, plus she has such a pleasant, calm voice. I also loved her Yorkshire dialect in it!

Favorite group project I've listened to is Treasure Island. One thing I love about LibriVox is just the variety of voices and accents. Treasure Island is great fun to hear not only different voices and accents but different PIRATE voices and accents!

Looking forward to Ulysses very much, especially the sections that folks have been collaborating on so extensively.

Of the projects you have worked on, which did you like most?

Two come to mind - Anne of Green Gables and Huck Finn. Anne is very dear to my heart - this is another one my mom read to me when I was little. But I identified with her soooo much, being another Anne "with an e" who would rather be named something romantic like Cordelia and with a temper that can get me into trouble. :wink: I have watched the movies countless times growing up and still watch them often. I don't think I had read the books since I was little and it was so wonderful to go back to them. I hogged a ridiculous number of chapters and had so much fun doing them that for my next solo project I'm going to just do the whole darned thing.

And Huck Finn. Reading aloud, or listening to someone read aloud, makes a person slow down and hear every word. You can't skim when you're reading aloud. Twain's writing is so rich and the book is brilliant on so many levels that reading it aloud brings so much to my attention that I'd never caught before. It is laugh out loud funny at times and heartbreaking at others.

Which drove you crazy?

Huck Finn. I know I just said it's a favorite but it's driving me mad and I'll be glad when I'm through with the last two chapters. The dialect is difficult, and there isn't just one dialect, there are several. It is a LOT of editing to get it right.

What type of literature do you prefer to read/help with?

Poetry is my favorite, followed probably by children's literature. I also enjoy reading nonfiction works - with no dialogue in them it makes for easy reading and editing.

Who is your Favorite author(s)?

Pat Conroy, John Irving, Louise Erdrich, John Steinbeck, Kate DiCamillo, Louis A. Meyer, J. K. Rowling, Tolkien, David Sedaris, Joann Sfar, Marjane Satrapi ....

What do you do for fun ie hobbies, reading, knitting?

Definitely reading is number 1. Lately I'm really into graphic novels. It's been a while since I've knitted but I do occasionally. I actually prefer cross stitching to knitting, although it is not as practical and takes a longer time. I love music, pretty much all kinds, and I played the oboe from 6th grade through college... would love to pick it back up someday. Painting is something I do on occasion, although more as a mental health thing than a hobby. :lol: My latest hobby is web design. I've been taking classes on it for school and having lots of fun with it.

In an average week, how many hours do you spend in LibriVox recording / forums / etc. (what does LibriVox "etc" mean to you?)

Oh lord! (as Lydia Bennet would say)... probably 1-2 hours a day so around 10 hours a week?! To me LibriVox means making literature more accessible to more people. And having a helluva lot of fun doing it!

In an average week, how many hours do you spend outside? [you know, not in a building, that kind of outside]

As little as possible. :wink: At least this time of year. This past week our temperature has been 100+ and heat index 120+. Last night we had the worst storm that anyone who lives here can ever remember. It was the spookiest thing I've ever seen and we were lucky that our power was only out overnight. Today they say about a half a million people are without power which is frightening in this heat. A state of emergency has been declared and there are 250 national guard on their way apparently. I took me a half hour to get to work today, which is one mile away from my house. No traffic lights, trees everywhere, streets blocked, power lines down. I got to work and our power was out. Only two of us (out of five who normally work Thursday mornings) made it in and after a couple hours it started to get toasty in there so we went home. It's frustrating, not so much because there is work to do, but because people kept coming to the door, looking to get out of the heat and we had to turn them away. So... that was a huge tangent but let's just say it is not pleasant to be outside in St. Louis right now.

What makes you tick? Or, in a nutshell, what is your philosophy?

Don't take anything for granted, enjoy every happy, healthy day you have. I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease four years ago and went through some really rough stuff. Basically in bed with vertigo for a year, too dizzy to read, ears too sensitive to listen to music or audiobooks or watch tv, eventually surgery and long slow rehab and recovery. Those long hours riding out the vertigo with nothing to distract me changed me in a fundamental way that I really can't put into words. But it certainly made me appreciate everything in my life far more than I did before. And the constant knowledge that relapse could occur at any time is a reminder never to forget to value what I have.

-----------------------

Thanks, Annie!

All Spotlight interviews can be found here:-
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/SpotlightOn
MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie »

Thank you for sharing, Annie :)

I felt like I could really connect to what you were saying (particularly in the last paragraph.) I'm not familiar with Meniere's Disease, but I am kind of in a similar boat. I've got a "recurring" illness that can strike any time, and I am basically house-bound because of the damage to my balance and other neurological challenges as a result of the "trauma" to my brain. I spent essentially the first year in bed too so I know how much that sucks and how frustrating it is not to be able to do anything.

Now (it'll be 2 years in August since I first got sick) I am able to spend time at the computer so at least so my brain doesn't totally go to mush, gives me one thing to do since reading "normal" books is painful and TV is just boring. Can't really do anything else all day as I'm physically not able to :roll:
That's what brought me here, (well, at first it was the idea of free audiobooks, since I can't read the tiny print in books...but I quickly got "sucked in" to volunteering and haven't even had much chance to listen to the catalogued recordings, hee hee.) It gives me something worthwhile to do with my time, though I do have to make some adjustments (make the print really large on my computer, take frequent breaks, not get too over-exhausted, make sure I understand things clearly.)

I am so happy to hear that (at least it seems) things are back on track for you :D (That you're back in school, etc.) I hope to be able to get back to school/work someday too, so I was happy to hear a "success story" :)

I just had to take a moment (well, more than one, LOL) to thank you for sharing. :)

(Really off-topic, but a funny side-note: I actually tried to participate in an online health community before, but found it was mostly people in their 40's 50's and up...kind of hard to relate to being young, in school, and suddenly having your whole life and ability to function ripped from you. So I find it extremely funny that I'd find someone with a similar experience here, of all places :)
[color=green]"Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true...we call it 'history'. "[/color]

[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MermaidMaddie][color=purple]MermaidMaddie's Wiki Page[/color][/url]
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

the interviews are always very interesting. The diveristy of this place is amazing. Makes me like it all the more to learn about the people behind the creativity here.
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Wow, Maddie, amazing how much we have in common, thanks for sharing your story! My balance was affected severly and I went through extensive physical therapy, basically just to be able to walk in a straight line again. I hope that with your condition you won't be housebound much longer. I found that just trying to get out even for a really short time helped me build up my stamina and tolerance again.

And yeah, it's amazing to be back in school and work. I had been out on my own and had to move back home when I got sick. It was very humbling and at times seemed like an impossibility to lead a normal life again. There was no one moment where I was suddenly better, it was just a slow battle back and a refusal to be satisfied with where I was. I've actually been going through a flare up these last couple months and not functioning quite at the level I'd like but you make the best of it and keep on fighting.

I also joined some online communities when I was first diagnosed but I quit because, like your experience, they were all older and I couldn't relate to them, but also because it was too depressing. If I read the statistics and the stories of Meniere's, it can be discouraging, so I try to focus on my personal illness and what I can do with it.

Sorry to go so off topic for everyone else but I really feel for you, Maddie, I've been where you are. Don't settle for it, keep on clawing your way back. Your life probably won't ever be the same as it was before you were sick, but you learn to make small adjustments and sacrifices. You'll get there. ;)
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

It's so inspiring to glimpse what you two have been through and are still facing, and to see how generous you are with your time and your humor and your great good will!

Annie, I'd love to read the class paper you mention! You write so well, and the topic is a key interest.

So you were the third MC! Wow. That's a lot of book listings ago.

Just a moment to say how I appreciate your example of stepping back and adjusting things when the reading gets crowded too far to the side. I'm a very slow learner in that regard, but it's clear to me that it's the central lesson for sustainable involvement in LibriVox.

I'm enjoying these revelations and hope the conversation here continues!

Anita
Anita
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

I'd like to read that paper, too!

Wow. Congrats to both you and Mermaid for working to overcome debilitating illnesses. I have a friend who has an autoimmune disorder, she can't work and frequently feels too ill to do.. well, much of anything. So, while I haven't had true first-hand experience of long-term debilitating illness, I've seen someone live with it. Bully for both of you - and big hugs, too.

-Catharine
kri

Post by kri »

I always feel bad for not responding, but I've read every Spotlight On so far. This is my way of saying I read, and it's nice to know a little bit more about you Annie :)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Yes, thank you, Annie. It's fascinating to have this little glimpse into the lives of the others in our club ... who share such an important part of our lives.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

WEll done David! And thanks Annie for sharing :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hey Annie, just want to tell you that all the hard work on Huck Finn was worth it :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Thank you, David (and I see you've signed up to do the next one, too!), and of course thanks to Annie - very interesting! Hope the weather in St Louis will improve soon, too.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

By the way folks, how did you do this interview (and others before it)? Did you exchange PMs for a while? Or start with a list of questions, respond to the first set of answers with a follow-up set of questions, then um, um, what's next? Oh yes, the second round of answers. Then cut and paste so the follow-up question sounds like it came right after the first part of the question? Conversationally like.

Hmm... The logistics are interesting.
If I ever resemble caught-up, I think I'd adore conducting an interview or few.
Anita

Annie...any thoughts on sharing that paper? Readers are lining up with our little cupped hands and beseeching emoticons.
Anita
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

a.r.dobbs wrote:Just a moment to say how I appreciate your example of stepping back and adjusting things when the reading gets crowded too far to the side. I'm a very slow learner in that regard, but it's clear to me that it's the central lesson for sustainable involvement in LibriVox.
Yes, it's important to make sure that LibriVox is always fun for you! Hugh is often telling Kara and me and some of the others to get off the computer and do something else. ;)
Gesine wrote:Hope the weather in St Louis will improve soon, too.
On Friday we had another big storm around noon that knocked out power to another 200,000 folks, bringing the grand total to, I believe, 560,000 at its highest. The good news is that the storm also brought in a cool front so now it is not quite so dangerous as far as the heat goes for those without power. But it is absolute chaos in this city. You drive around and most of the traffic lights are out so everything is sort of a every-person-for-him/herself four way stop. Sirens and fire trucks and ambulances everywhere. Work still has no power and we're told it could be the middle of next week before we do. People without power are trying to get out of town to stay in hotels (all hotels here are full or without power) but getting gas or cash is a challenge as most gas stations and ATMs have no power. And driving around... just trees everywhere. Huge trees completely uprooted. It was an odd storm, almost no rain, but winds up to 90mph and this weird cloud of dust. Anyway, sorry to go on about it, but it's a bit shocking to see every time I go out.
a.r.dobbs wrote:By the way folks, how did you do this interview (and others before it)? Did you exchange PMs for a while? Or start with a list of questions, respond to the first set of answers with a follow-up set of questions, then um, um, what's next? Oh yes, the second round of answers. Then cut and paste so the follow-up question sounds like it came right after the first part of the question? Conversationally like.
David PMed me a list of questions and told me to answer whichever ones I wanted and said he'd then read through it and send follow up questions. So I answered probably 2/3rds of them and sent it off to him. David said he thought he had enough without follow up questions so that was it for me! Then he cut and pasted the questions into a more logical order so it would flow well.
a.r.dobbs wrote:Annie...any thoughts on sharing that paper? Readers are lining up with our little cupped hands and beseeching emoticons.
Alrighty, here it is: http://www.anniecoleman.com/text/podcasting.doc Initially written in December and revised and updated in January for my boss when he wanted to learn about podcasting. Enjoy!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

And again, you write so well, I'd actually love to hear more about the storm experience you're going through. St. Louis is quite a big city to have almost no power. It looks so grand and sci-fi with that big astonishing arch thing and the swirl of overpasses and the elevated circle of highways with city on one side and river on the other (this is what a traveler notes who doesn't get to stay long in the city).

Thanks for all the followup answers here!
Now for that paper... :D ...oops, after this looming deadline.

Anita
Anita
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

I actually believed it when I said "after the looming deadline" Oy.

I need a watch that can record commands and play them at proper intervals. "Stop that. Do this."

Wonderful introduction to podcasting!!
And I needed it, too.
Of course, without an iPod or equivalent, I'm coming about it all backwards. But now I have a very clear concept of the whole picture.
Well done!!
and Thank You!
Anita