New Forum Software!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech » November 1st, 2010, 3:28 pm

Is there a setting for increasing the default font-size? I can hardly read the text any more. I know about icreasing text-size in firefox, but the text here is smaller than on other forums which I visit.

Please help?
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]

Jc

Post by Jc » November 1st, 2010, 3:54 pm

Has the size changed compared to the old forum?
I haven't noticed any difference in text size.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » November 1st, 2010, 4:18 pm

I don't know if it is text size - or what but I am finding it harder to read also - but it is somewhat better in this color than the green was. I change text size by <cntrl> + - if that helps you

Anne

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » November 1st, 2010, 5:05 pm

I think it is the text colour that's the problem. It appears grey instead of black.
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » November 1st, 2010, 5:06 pm

Lucy_k_p wrote:This is probably just a setting I haven't found yet, but is there anyway of stopping URLs being cut short?
Dan (DigiSage) has fixed this for us! Links that were posted between the forum upgrade and now will still be truncated, but they can be fixed by editing the post, adding a space or something to the end, and saving. From now on, newly-posted links will not be shortened. YAY!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » November 1st, 2010, 5:35 pm

Just noticed it - Hurrah for Dan :clap:

Anne

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » November 1st, 2010, 5:40 pm

RuthieG wrote:I think it is the text colour that's the problem. It appears grey instead of black.
The font is smaller than that in the message box - on my settings anyhow and than the text in the MW - I know I'm a little old lady - but there are quite a number of us use the forums :(

Anne

Sibella

Post by Sibella » November 1st, 2010, 6:00 pm

russiandoll wrote:
peegee wrote:If you just paste the text of a link then it automatically gets truncated, like this
http://www.archive.org/download/lesmis5_1010_librivox/lesmiserables_vol5_01_hugo_64kb.mp3

but if you use the URL button to surround your links with the [ url ] [ /url ] tags, then it doesn't get truncated
http://www.archive.org/download/lesmis5_1010_librivox/lesmiserables_vol5_01_hugo_64kb.mp3
Ooh, thanks for that, Phil - good to know.
I'm glad to know there's a way, but that's really clunky. Surely that's a "feature" that can be turned off.
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]

Sibella

Post by Sibella » November 1st, 2010, 6:03 pm

Ok, I have to say I pretty much hate everything about the new layout and appearance of the forums. I always hate change, though.

What's worse than most things, then, is that the little line between the post and the signature line is really high - it's leaving waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much space for the signature for every user I've seen, thus in many cases the signature space is unnecessarily larger than the post itself!

Also the URL thing is going to be a nightmare, and the quote button is in the wrong place.
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]

Sibella

Post by Sibella » November 1st, 2010, 6:06 pm

Oh, and the color scheme is really hard to read - I agree with Anne. The font is too small and the (lack of) contrast between the background and font color is headache inducing.

[/b][/size]

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » November 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm

The link issue has been fixed - see a couple posts above yours, Sibella. :wink:
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK
The Medici family history: LINK

Sibella

Post by Sibella » November 1st, 2010, 6:20 pm

I'm sorry I didn't read all 60 odd posts, but I was replying in the order I was reading, and found that URL issue to be a massive problem.

And look down at my sig. Why is all that space between the quote and the bottom of the post??

[/b][/size]

Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson » November 1st, 2010, 6:24 pm

Something that bother's me is this "friends and foes" thing. Perhaps it is the wording, not the function . . . I have always liked Librivox for its "be nice" ethic, and labeling people as "friends or foes" strikes me as the antithesis of being nice . . . Librivox is the only "social media" that I have ever participated in, or cared to do so, and I think that if I had seen the "friends and foes" bit at the beginning, I never would have joined--perhaps I show my age, my ethics, or my unfamiliarity with the current jargon/terminology of social networking, but I hope that these terms can be redefined. Again, perhaps it is the wording, not the function, although I'm not too sure about the function either. Respectfully, Sue Anderson

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » November 1st, 2010, 6:44 pm

Sue, the "friends and foes" thing is just part of the forum software package -- there's nothing we can do about it. I seriously doubt if any librivoxers will even bother to try it out. I know I won't. :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Jc

Post by Jc » November 1st, 2010, 6:57 pm

Don't worry if you hate this new look, it's the default template and will definitely be modified. I'll see what I can do about the text colour.

EDIT: OK, text colour is now black for posts.
Better?
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)