Error: Poem "After Apple-picking by Robert Frost

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
david

Post by david »

North of Boston
by Robert Frost
? Part 3
? After Apple-picking (00:00:16)

I love this poem. The reading is very good but for the omission of one word and, elsewhere, the substitution of "the" for "my", thus:

"well upon the way to sleep" should be "well upon my way to sleep"

and

"cider heap" should be "cider-apple heap".

Can we fix? I'd be glad to do a reading if this would be helpful.
David
david
kri

Post by kri »

By all means, feel free to do a recording of this poem if that suits you!! We like to have multiple recordings of hte same text, as it allows us to have multiple interpretations of the same text.

And that's really all our recordings are: interpretations. Granted we strive to read the text as it is written, and we rarely do anything in the way of extras to enhance a reading. However, there will be missing words, one word transposed for another, slight misreadings of the text. In the proof-reading process we don't even ask the listeners to read along with the text to make sure the reader got it right.

So, I guess this means that my answer to your question is no, we won't fix it. The recording stands, and as long as the file hasn't been messed up or cut off in its journey from the MCs computer to archive.org, it will stay as it is.

I repeat that we would be glad for you to do another recording of this text though :) My response to anyone who takes issue with a recording is, record the text yourself if you think it should be better.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Hi David,
I thoroughly agree with your making another recording. Since you love this poem, it feels very important to get it right, yes? I would have the same response if I'd heard something dear to me, poetry above all, with a couple errors in it.
I hope this will be the first in a long line of recordings from you.
Do you already have everything you need to get started? Microphone, software, the mp3 settings, etc?
This index page for our Help pages (our wiki) will lead you about anyplace you need for whatever information you want:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/

Holler if you want a guide atall! Many are available. :)
Anita
Anita
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

just to chip in about our tolerance for error ... project gutenberg tries to proffread to 99% accuracy, so we have an unofficial similar policy: that's 1 word in 100 ... I haven't looked at this poem, but generally we do have little blips here and there, really it's almost unavoidable.

but as the two previous posters have indicated, we'd love to have another version of this poem if you'd like to do it!
BradBush

Post by BradBush »

Since I recorded all of North of Boston, I will say first "sorry", I realize poetry is like children, you want it to be perfect (because each word is so precious). My point in the recording of this (what I consider) difficult book, was to get the spirit of what Frost was after in the poems. When I got that and made a small error, I kept the spirit, instead of try again. I did edit some words that impeded the meaning, but only where it didn't screw up the soul of the reading. Otherwise, I started the passage over again (which I did so many times, I can't even count). I guess bottom line is, I totally see your point, but I would still be recording if I wanted each point to be perfect.

Second, I thank the above folks for their support of the Librivox "error" policy. The other note, is that its really hard to fix these recordings in our current setup. Once its posted to archive.org, its impossible to change.

Please do take up the challenge to post your own version. This is about the swelling voices breathing life into the words... And I would love to hear your version.

PS. Don't check the rest of the book, but do listen to it and enjoy some of the other Frost poems, if you haven't read them. Death of a Hired Man and Home Burial are as great as the "popular" poems.

Brad