Forum page/link concern [OK]

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Hello

Here's what I've noticed:
There are the orphan sections, orphaned chapters, and short works pages.
The orphan sections page is pinned, the orphaned chapters page is not pinned, and the short works page is pinned.
There's a link on the orphan sections page to the orphaned chapters page, and a link on the orphaned chapters page to the short works page.

When I click on the link to the short works link on the orphaned chapters page, it takes me to the orphaned section page. Maybe that link needs to be fixed.

I haven't been here long, but I like being able to click on the orphaned sections page, and, if I see nothing there, click through to the chapters page, and then through again to the short works page.

Not sure if that was the design, but if it is, maybe it'd be good to have all three of those the pages pinned (orphaned sections is, but orphaned chapters is not)and linked through accordingly. Maybe even link through from the short works page to the long works page.

It seems to me like that would significantly increase ease of use, especially for new users, and would also promote starting with shorter works and working ones way up to the longer works.

Thanks for hearing me out.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm getting confused. :lol:

In Readers Wanted: Books is ORPHANS (Chapters needing Readers). This is pinned.
In Readers Wanted: Short Works is Orphans (sections needing new readers). This is pinned.
In Readers Wanted: Dramatic Works is Orphaned Dramatic Projects/Parts. This is pinned.

What thread are you finding that is not pinned?

The Books and Short Works ones are cross-linked; the Dramatic Works one isn't. I am not certain, but this might be by design, as dramatic works are different than other projects.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

If it helps you, Jacob, every piece of a project that can be parceled out to an individual reader can be called a 'section'. It's an umbrella term, rather than a third thing on its own. :wink:

In Books, a section is often synonymous with a chapter, so it's sometimes used interchangeably.
In Short Works, a section might be a poem, a short story, an essay, etc., which is why the umbrella term is more often used, outside of a particular project.
In Dramatic Works, a section is usually a single character's lines in a given act or chapter. Each act/chapter then has one more section for the editor to upload the final mix. :D
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Ah, yes, look at that. You are correct.
That was a test, and you have passed. Congratulations.
I'm going to go crawl under a rock now.

Thanks for your help.
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hey, don't worry about it! If I crawled under a rock every time I made a mistake, I'd have a mosaic turtle shell by now. :lol:

:hmm:
If I were a craft-y person, that might inspire some kind of project. But my hands are full!