Author Name in catalog but no works?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » October 23rd, 2018, 6:05 am

I was looking through older posts on the Suggestions board and found one for a book by Octave Thanet, pen name of Alice French. She is in the Librivox catalog under both names but no works, either in progress or completed. I was curious how that would happen. An abandoned project maybe? Or something recorded and removed for whatever reason?

Colleen

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 23rd, 2018, 7:07 am

I've seen this a lot, and I don't understand it myself.

I think some of them are for projects that were set up but were deleted (if a project is abandoned with no recordings, we'll recycle the project's database entry). But that can't account for the number of authors without any projects. *shrug*

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » October 23rd, 2018, 7:11 am

This can mean two things:

Either a project was started and abandoned or deleted before completion.

Or, there is a piece by her in a current collection that has not been catalogued yet. Collections that are in progress are not searchable in the database, so while the author is already present in the database (if the MC is doing her job, meaning: other than me... :oops: ) the section will only show up on cataloging.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 » October 23rd, 2018, 7:34 am

I did some snooping. There are at least two stories by her.

I was able to make one show up in search by making a slight change. Most of the rest in this series were cataloged with the authors searchable, so I took the liberty of changing it to the same format: https://librivox.org/the-wit-and-humor-of-america-volume-6-by-various/ (It is #10)

The other story, the authors are not entered, but I found it by searching the forum with the name. It is section 8 in this book, if you care to listen: https://librivox.org/different-girls-by-elizabeth-jordan/
Maria

----------
Catholic Audiobooks

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » December 13th, 2018, 2:58 pm

I've noticed that you can find an IP book on the catalogue by browsing, but I didn't realize that you couldn't find it by searching. Is there a specific reason for this?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 13th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Because you are Browsing the catalogue
And searching the database. :D

Anne

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 13th, 2018, 5:51 pm

JayKitty76 wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 2:58 pm
I've noticed that you can find an IP book on the catalogue by browsing, but I didn't realize that you couldn't find it by searching. Is there a specific reason for this?
When I search on "huckleberry finn", I find your in progress group project. Do you not have the same experience?

Or did you mean this the opposite - you can find an in-progress work by searching, but they aren't there when browsing? :hmm:

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 13th, 2018, 6:51 pm

I assumed she had it the wrong way round so worded my answer that way - I apologise if my assumption was wrong :hmm:

Anne

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » December 13th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Of course, it could simply be a cri de coeur from the souls of as-yet-unrecorded PD authors condemned to wander the endless corridors of the Librivox catalogue until such time as someone records them.

Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » December 13th, 2018, 7:38 pm

You think we should mount a rescue effort ? We could have an "adopt an unrecorded author" campaign, we'd need a good slogan
"Out of voice, out of Mind"
Save our words" ...
"Please read me.."
All not good enough

Anne

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » December 13th, 2018, 8:06 pm

annise wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 7:38 pm
we'd need a good slogan

Anne
How about “It’s either this, or an exorcism”.
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » December 14th, 2018, 6:51 pm

TriciaG wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 5:51 pm
JayKitty76 wrote:
December 13th, 2018, 2:58 pm
When I search on "huckleberry finn", I find your in progress group project. Do you not have the same experience?

Or did you mean this the opposite - you can find an in-progress work by searching, but they aren't there when browsing? :hmm:
Hmm. Odd. No, I think I meant exactly what I worded it as...but now I’m sort of confused :hmm: Sometimes I can’t find an IP project by searching, which is weird...