'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for the dramatic reading of Dracula

Please pass on my thanks to all members of the cast of the dramatic reading of Bram Stoker’s Dracula (version 2 dramatic reading).

They all read clearly and accurately and the different voices helped me to follow the characters through the story. I love librivox recordings, your cast’s readings were assured and convincing and I very much enjoyed listening as I undertook my chores during lockdown.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ChrisMS (Christopher Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Smith:

Thank you so much for taking of your time to read History of the Reformation in the Sixteenth Century! For you: what an undertaking; for me: what a blessing.... I had been reading Jonathan Edwards' The History of Redemption and realized I needed to learn more "good & true" history in order to have a better understanding of how all God's history is working together to bring about His redemption, so I perused early, modern history on Librivox, knew I wanted a solo reader, came across History of the Reformation, listened to you as you read the preface, and I was sold (!) and I learned so much! What a truly magnificent work.... illuminating and life-changing for me. You were the instrument God used in this Christian woman's life to show me how God worked through the Reformation in order to help bring about His work of Redemption in the world.

Thanks so, so much!

All of Christopher's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ohsostrange (Lee Elliot) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello Lee Elliot,

Thanks for reading Angel Of Terror. It is a really odd book, but you kept me hanging on to the very end.

All the best

Owen

All of Lee's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for dormouse3 (Mike Harris) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Harris,

We, my children and I, enjoy listening to G. A. Henty's historical fiction being read by you. We have even listened to some of your audio books more than once.
Many enjoyable hours have been listening to your clear voice reading Henty's exciting and very descriptive stories.
Thank you so much for your time spent and expertise shared.
Gratefully,
Jennifer

All of Mike's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for neustar (Bob Neustar) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you for all those many hours of really great reading.
The art of making the dry come to life.

Very kindly yours
Alanson

All of Bob's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for LibbyG (Libby Gohn) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Good day,

I would like to thank Libby Gohn for her delightful recording of Agnes Grey by A. Brontë.
https://librivox.org/agnes-grey-version-3-by-anne-bronte/

I think your soft voice fitted the narrator very well, and you read with just the right tone and emotional involvement! The sound quality was good too. In short, everything was there to make the listener LIVE the story!

While I am thanking people, I take the opportunity to thank the whole librivox staff and community, for doing all this work for free is nothing short of wonderful. It is especially helpful to foreigners who do not always have easy access to such books as can be found there.

THANK YOU!

All of Libby's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MaryAnnSpiegel (MaryAnn) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear MaryAnn,
Thank you so much for putting your valuable time, effort, and talent to record the audio for North and South By Elizabeth Gaskell. I enjoyed every moment of it and it was my comfort during my long trips to work and at night. Your soothing voice was very comforting and made it a more wholesome experience as you read one of my favorite novels.

Thanks for your hard work.

Best regards,
Stephanie
and...
Dear MaryAnn,

I have just finished listening to your reading of The Street of Seven Stars by Mary Roberts Rinehart. I want to thank you for all the effort and time you put into making it such an enjoyable experience for me. You have a lovely and melodic speaking voice which made listening to you a pleasure. Thank you so much!

Kind regards,

Effie
and...
MaryAnn Spiegel,

This morning (while fixing breakfast for my wife and myself!) I finished listening to Version 3 of "North and South". I've listened to a good number of Librivox recordings and, to date, I've not heard a better reader than you. Your ability to adjust your voice to the person speaking or to the emotions of the moment ... is really quite amazing. Your clarity of speech and ability to draw the listener into the story is impressive.

Thank you!

Lorn
All of MaryAnn's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for AJai (AJai Hilton) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear AJai,
I'm only on chapter 4 of Quest of the Silver Fleece, and I'm LOVING this so far. Your beautiful rhythmic voice has me hooked. If you're not too busy, I'm hoping you'll read more.
With Sincere Thanks,
Jan

All of AJai's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for jvanstan (John Van Stan) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
You have no doubt received many compliments over the years, and I just wanted to add mine to them.
I have enjoyed many of your books by Alexandre Dumas, and actually hate it, when I can't find one by you.
I truly appreciate your efforts.

Best regards,
Rick

All of John's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Karen,

I absolutely love listening to your readings! I specifically go through each version of an audio book to find your readings. I have now seen on the Librovox website that I can see all the books you have read, so will be sure to listen to them all!

If possible, please will you make more of Jane Austen’s books?

Thank you again, it really is a pleasure to listen to you read, I really appreciate your time and effort.

Kind regards,

Caitlyn

In sunny South Africa
and...
Dear Librivox,

I very much enjoyed Karen Savage’s reading of Jane Austen’s Mansfield Park (version 2). The reader makes all the difference, and to me the best reader is the unobtrusive one who seems to stand in for the author — who “does the voices” but really subtly; who basically becomes invisible. I will definitely seek out more readings by Karen Savage.

Thank you for the service!
Nicola
and...
Hello!
My daughter has been listening to your narration of Mansfield Park and I started listening, too, (then went back to the beginning). I had always thought that Mansfield Park was my least favorite Jane Austen book, but now I feel that I have rediscovered it and am re-appreciating it. Your wonderful reading of it, a work of art in itself, has brought so much in the book alive for me in a way that I had not expected. I am now hooked, savoring each sentence.

Thank you so very much for all the effort and art that you have put into this performance! What a gift it is to be able to listen to your voices/voices.

I send best wishes to you wherever you are at this moment!

Caroline, from Southern California
All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for KiltedDragon (Barry Eads) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Mr. Eads, thank you so much for narrating "Jesse James, my Father." It is a fascinating story, so well written.

You did a superb job of reading the book and of creating different voices for different characters and the long quotations from the various newspapers. It was always immediately clear to me which person was speaking.

I spent two years at school in Northfield, MN, where a plaque in the town square gives details of a bank robbery there by the James Gang. I see from the Northfield website that they have a commemorative festival every with a reenactment of the robbery, soap box races, food, and music.

Thank you for volunteering to be a narrator. I'll investigate the other books you've completed.

--Mollie
Los Angeles

All of Barry's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for pipesdreams (Moira Fogarty) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Moria Forgarty,

I have listen to you reading the Art of War multiple times. I enjoy the peace and instruction provided by you.

Thank you,

Michael
and...
Thank you for your superb, confident, wry reading of Emma. I chose version 5 at random, luckily for me. I admit I hesitated when I heard your first words and they were North American. I may have tried another version for a minute or two and quickly shifted back to yours. You occupied the character, you seem to live the humor in Jane Austen. — I totally fell for Emma, especially the Emma who was still bad but was getting glimmers of self-awareness. Yeah, that’s some humanness there! May we all be so lucky.

Now I’m on to Persuasion, at the advice of a friend. (She didn’t like the character Emma and could not be persuaded.) As before, your reading is stellar. Anne’s certainly a likable human, though just a little unfailingly good. Maybe a fault will open up later on...

I read Pride and Prejudice with my own eyes which wasn’t nearly as successful an experience as listening to you read. Your understanding becomes my understanding. So after Persuasion I’ll be listening to P and P.

I’m also trying Middlemarch by a different reader. It’s falling a little flat. If you have other ideas I’ll try them.

Thanks again!

All of Moira's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for THynes (Tadhg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dearest Tadhg

I want to say my old friend, as I feel quite acquainted with you now, we have spent many hours together in the lockdown period and you have made the Charles Dickens books come alive to me. Up to this point in my life of 43 years, I had only read a Tale of Two Cities and I recall at one point having watched the movie of Great Expectations (with Gwyneth Paltrow ) but can't say these were especially memorable. I live in South Africa and our lockdown has been rather strict but also Adam (my partner/fiance) is classified as having an underlying medical condition (hypertension) so we have been in strictest self isolation. While most people are getting cabin-fever and itching to go back to normalcy, I find myself blissfully embracing each new day.
You see I own a few chickens (long story - my daughter was vegan and I was worried about her health and she agreed to eat eggs if she knew the animals were treated well - and so I got me some chickens!) and I started writing silly stories about these creatures. Then found some old discarded watercolour paints from school days and have been immersed in CHarles Dickens. I went through my credits on Audible and Audiobooks and then discovered Librivox and all the while painting chickens and listening in rapt concentration.

So I want to thank you, my friend. I find myself listening to chapters again and again then stopping and googling the odd terms or phrases. It amazes me how our English language has changed so much. It's fascinating.

I have such respect for Charles Dickens - he was a genius. I've been down a few rabbit holes in discovering more about him. A blanket has been lifted and an entire new world of literature has been revealed. I can certainly and emphatically declare this state of enlightenment be all to your credit. (Hope that makes sense!)

Your sincerely and devoted listener

Toby

and...

Dear Librivox,

I’ve just finished version 2 of Thomas Hardy’s Far From the Madding Crowd, and I wanted to thank reader Tadhg Hynes, who made it so engrossing and marvellous without ever being intrusive. These audiobooks are saving me completely during a period when the libraries are closed and I’m spending extra time on the bike.

Best,
Nicola
and...
Hey Tadgh

Having read the book years ago I often wished I had the time to read it again with an older and hopefully bit of a wiser head on me shoulders.

I googled audiobook and found your reading which I have just had the pleasure of listening to over a few days while out walking the dog, tidying up at home and when work pisses me off.

Not only was it a completely inspirational listening because of the content and Noonans writing style your reading style, voice and character brought it to life. So I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time you do to make these works of art available to a much wider audience. I will be sharing it far and wide with people who really could do with reading or listening to the RTP.

One Love

Glenn

All of Tadhg's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Margaret (Margaret Espaillat) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I’ve just discovered Librivox and your wonderful reading of Middlemarch has got me through the last few weeks of our Melbourne lockdown, I listen before I go to sleep and it’s a great way to tune out the day. It’s one of my favourite books, there is always something new to find in it, and hearing it read aloud gave me yet another way of noticing things I’d missed before. She is a great writer and you read it beautifully. Thank you and I look forward to discovering more.
Linda

All of Margaret's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for SoulSatchel (Andy Harrington) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Andy, I”m listening to your reading of Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes right now, and I’m so impressed! I just wanted to write and say thank you for your terrific interpretation of the story, and your excellent character voices. I look forward to hearing more from you on Librivox, and hope you’ll continue to narrate for them!

Best regards,

Dane

All of Andy's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!