'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 18th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Praise received for Carolin (Crln Yldz Ksr) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello, Carolin,

Thank you for reading The Seven Who Were Hanged ( https://librivox.org/the-seven-who-were-hanged-by-leonid-nikolayevich-andreyev/ ) I like to vary the theme of my reads/listens of literature among favourite genres, and Russian lit is one of numerous types I enjoy. The Seven Who Were Hanged was quite in contrast to my last Librivox book, (Auriol, or The Elixir of Life, wonderfully read by Sonia), a very dark, tragic story that your reading suited and did justice to. I chose that one partly because I'd been adding more of Andreyev's works to my laptop folder of Russian authors (including two translations of his rare early short story, In the Fog); but also because I've been enjoying Librivox stories for many years but still hadn't listened to one of yours despite my intention. Now I have, and there will be more, with Green's The House in the Mist next in mind; so thank you again.

Kind regards,

Paul

All of Carolin's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 18th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Praise received for pipesdreams (Moira Fogarty) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I wanted to thank Moira Fogarty for her wonderful reading of The Art of
War

You have a wonderful voice, and are a great reader; it was a pleasure
and a gift listening to you. I'm not a native speaker but I understood
everything you said, and could follow along; no easy feat by any means.

I wanted to thank you on a different topic as well - as I've been
having major difficulties reading, concentrating and remembering due to
health issues, your reading has been a saving grace. Your voice pulled
me out, made me listen, and I was able to concentrate, to understand,
to remember. I'll always be thankful to you for giving me back a part
of me I thought I'd lost for sure.

Sincerely,

Alexandra

All of Moira's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 18th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Praise received for knotyouraveragejo (J. M. Smallheer) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Sending a heartfelt thank you to Ms Smallheer. I love her voice and wish she would do more solo readings, especially in the mystery genre. I can't list a favorite because I like them all. Sincerely, Sheila ♧.

PS. More books read with female detectives would be much appreciated.

All of J. M.'s recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 18th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Praise received for unreadpages (Peter Tucker) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Just finished listening to"The late Mattia Pascal". Words do not express my gratitude to you and Peter Tucker, absolutely brilliant, loved every minute of it!! Bravo!
Kudos! Etc... Sincerely, Richard.

All of Peter's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 18th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Praise received for boojumuk (Kevin Green) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of Stories of Old Greece and Rome:
Dear Kevin

Greetings from Penang in Malaysia. Many thanks for your effort in producing this audiobook. I enjoy the tone of your voice, the phrasing and pace. Just right. And I look forward to reading you other audiobooks.

Cheers

Fred

All of Kevin's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 18th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Praise received for TriciaG (TriciaG) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Tricia G.,

I want to write to thank you so much for your work in recording Four Girls at Chautauqua (https://librivox.org/four-girls-at-chautauqua-by-isabella-alden-aka-pansy/) and all those other books by Isabella Alden (Pansy).

I have put the audio books on my phone and I listen when I am driving, washing the dishes, etc. and they have helped me so much, encouraging me to continue living for Christ and by His grace through the trials and troubles of daily life. I've almost finished the 8th, and I'll be sad when they are all finished!
Isabella Alden gave an amazing gift to the world, and you have brought that gift to me, as I haven't had time to read all the print books! Thank you so much for your ministry. May God bless you.

Looking unto Jesus,
Daniel

All of Tricia's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 18th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Praise received for Onjana (Onjana Yawnghwe) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Onjana,

Thank you for your reading of Milton’s “Paradise Lost,” Book 7, Part 1. It was very pleasant to listen to. I hope to hear more of your readings.

Best regards,

All of Onjana's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » November 18th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Praise received for k5hsj (Winston Tharp) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you SO much, Winston Tharp, for such wonderfully read books as Boston Blackie and Five Continental Ops Stories !
You have a wonderful voice for reading and your style of reading, with lots of tone and expression, just makes the stories so much more interesting.
I have been able to find another book you've read (Uncle Abner Mysteries) and I am certainly looking forward to it.
Thank you again for all the work you've done to bring these books to us.
You are very appreciated!
B.

All of Winston's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 6th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Praise received for m8b1 (Maria Therese) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear LibriVox readers,

I wish to extend a heartfelt thank you to ALL of you, but today especially to Maria Therese. My children and I have been listening to the Angel Food: Little Talks for Little Folks books, and other lovely old Catholic books read by Maria Therese.

Thank you, Maria Therese, for your gift of time and talent and for making these treasures of the Catholic faith available to young children! I grew up with the Angel Food books on our shelves, and its is wonderful to share these gems with my children. We are Catholic, we homeschool and I'm beyond grateful to expose my children to these good old fashioned Catholic stories.

I cannot thank you and the other LibriVox readers enough. You are making such wonderful literary gems available to so many listeners.

Sincerely
Catherine M. mother of 3 in Virginia

All of Maria's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 6th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Praise received for Kirsten Wever (Kirsten Wever) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Kirsten,

Thanks for your reading of Trollope's Belton Estate.

Many critics believe that this is not one of Trollope's best because it
centres on the single issue of Sara's indecision. I agree with this and
I could not see myself persisting with it if I had to read it myself.
But from that comes my reason to thank you: it is Trollope's insight
into the mind and thinking of his subjects that is the book's strength.
Silently read to oneself, this does not hit home in the way that it does
when hearing someone reading it so well aloud. Then, far from abandoning
the book as I might have done if reading to myself, your reading engaged
me an carried me enthusiastically forward.

Oh, and a small extra positive comment: it was good to hear English
place names pronounced as Trollope himself would have done.:-)

Cheers,

Michael

All of Kirsten's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 6th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Praise received for JoeD (JoeD) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello JoeD,

I just wanted to write a quick note to say thank you for your amazing work with all of the titles you’ve done on LibriVox. I suffer from bouts of insomnia, and often found myself at my wits’ end at night – until I stumbled across the LibriVox app, and in particular your excellent readings of The Quest of the Historical Jesus and The Life of Jesus Critically Examined.

On nights when I can’t sleep, I often put my earphones in and listen to the books you have read via the LibriVox app. Sometimes I just get through a chapter or two before falling asleep, sometimes I don’t sleep at all, but end up learning something brand new!

I used to work in radio, on the production side, so I know when someone’s engaged and committed to the audio task at hand. And for listeners, being able to listen to a reader who is totally professional and connected to the source material makes all the difference.

Thank you once again – your precious audio files will help generations of people connect to essential classics of literature and history, and I am sure I am but one of a very large number of people from around the world who have been lucky enough to enjoy your work.

Wishing you health and happiness.

Respectfully,

Tim

All of JoeD's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 6th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Praise received for NKWhitley (Nick Whitley) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Many thanks to Nick Whitley for his excellent reading of Puck of Pook's
Hill
. It's a fine job - really professional quality.

Mr. Whitley: could you consider recording the sequel, Rewards and
Fairies, as well? It would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Gene

All of Nick's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 6th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Praise received for seanmhogan (Sean Michael Hogan) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Hogan,

I have just finished "Adrift on an Ice-Pan" and have thrown away my soggy kleenexes. My goodness, what a stupendous story. You read it magnificently, including the appendix in the "vernacular." My parents lived in Maine for 23 years, and the rural Newfoundland accent is a bit similar.

I had first listened to "The Blue and the Grey," and enjoyed your narration so much that I clicked on your name to see what else you had read. You are clearly a professional, and I appreciate all the time you have devoted to LibriVox.

--Mollie

All of Sean's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 6th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Praise received for rwallis (Richard Wallis) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Wallis,

I have just listened to your recording of James Joyce`s Dubliners/The sister. This was my very first experience with LibriVox and I must say it opened up a whole new world for me. I have always wanted to read Dubliners in its original language, however I am not a native English speaker and I find it difficult to focus on the books. This time I read/followed the book while listening to your recording and I enjoyed it a lot. I wanted to thank you for your time and effort for making this possible for me. I also found your voice very rich and suitable for recordings.

I am looking forward to listening more chapters and books.

Best regards,

Ulku

All of Richard's recordings!
Ann

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » December 6th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Praise received for Sue Anderson (Sue Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
You made me fall in love with Gertrude Stein, though I don't recall reading any of her words. Excellent choice for the latest Nonfiction Collection! Now I must investigate her!

Your readings for both of your entries for this collection were inspiring! Your voice is so pleasant, smooth, clear, and easy to follow. I'm wondering how you prepared yourself to do so well, and what suggestions you have for us new readers.

Thank you for making my whole body shake with laughter as I read about the new stove: when the narrator recommended how the friend should behave when her husband raged, and when her friend followed the directions. Marvelous reading!

All of Sue's recordings!
Ann