'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 4th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Praise received for neustar (Bob Neufeld) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

https://librivox.org/the-picture-of-dorian-gray-1891-version-by-oscar-wilde/

Hello, dear reader.
I wanted to thak you for taking the time to read, in such a pleasent way, the book.
I got lost in the story guided by your voice, making me forget entirely why I was here, or there.
I am not a native english speaker, as you may have noticed, and I am trying to improve my english this way.
I don’t know if it’s working or if it will but you have kept all my attention from the beginning.
Once more, thank you.
Greetings from Argentina.
María

All of Bob's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 4th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Praise received for MaryAnnSpiegel (MaryAnn) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi MaryAnn,
I just want to thank you for your wonderful narrations of J.C. Ryle.

You are my favorite narrator on Librivox.

In His marvelous mercy,
Jeff
and...
Thank MaryAnn for the mammoth job she has undertaken with War & Peace. It’s always good to listen to one voice through a book, and her reading is a pleasure to listen to.
All of MaryAnn's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 4th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Praise received for anneflebari (annie70) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you so much for reading the books about Philura by Florence M. Kingsley. They are superbly done and so delightful. I have had hours of pleasure listening to them. I am hopefully awaiting more books read by you.



Brenda

All of annie70's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 4th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Praise received for Sue Anderson (Sue Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Please extend my thanks once again to Sue Anderson, for reading "Making of an American."

This is a stunning memoir, and beautifully written. I've tried to find out more about the author, but have only found the names of his wife and children, and information about his other books. He wrote this when he was 33, and I wish he had written a later memoir.

There is a good article about him in the NY Times archive, but I'd have to subscribe to get it. Most likely I could find other articles in a big library.

I found LibriVox only a few months ago and am stunned by the amount I have learned about life here, in Canada, and in England, 100-180 years ago. I've even listened to some short fiction, of a type I would never have read (too preachy and moralistic), which have given me a glimpse at what reader appreciated long ago.

Thank you all for your diligent work.

--Mollie
Los Angeles
and...

Dear Ms. Anderson,

This was a lovely, lovely memoir (My Mother and I), and I thank you so much for reading it. I'm just sorry that the author didn't extend her story.

I've read several LibriVox "immigrant memoirs" now, and found them all so touching. And I keep seeming to run into books that you have read!

--Mollie
Los Angeles
All of Sue's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 4th, 2019, 9:38 pm

Praise received for rkilmer (Richard Kilmer) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Please let Mr. Kilmer know how much I appreciated his reading of "Log of a Cowboy." It is a stunning book, and I cried at the end when the author spoke of having to say farewell to his horses. 🐎.

I recall reading the print maybe 25-30 years ago, because I'd found the book in the UCLA Research Library, where I worked. But of course I had forgotten nearly every detail. It was such a pleasure to have it read to me while I sewed or cooked. I've recommended it to a friend whose brother (in his 70s) is getting out of the hospital and will convalesce at her house. She boards horses in Whittier, CA, and has mentioned that her brother mucks out the barn for her. So I know that he, too, is a horseman.

Thank you, thank you.

--Mollie
Los Angeles
and...
I've heard several other books read by Richard Kilmer, and now feel that he is almost a family friend. This was another fabulous book, as I am sure all are by Andy Adams. I wish that I could find out more about his life, other than as a writer. I'll have to work on that.

Please thank Mr. Kilmer once again for his efforts. I assume that he has a very supportive and indulgent wife, cooking and cleaning for him, taking out the trash, doing the yard work, and allowing him to devote all his waking hours to LibriVox.

--Mollie
All of Richard's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

Sue Anderson
Posts: 3726
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 11:48 am
Location: Midwest, USA
Contact:

Post by Sue Anderson » October 5th, 2019, 7:24 am

icequeen wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 9:35 pm
Praise received for Sue Anderson (Sue Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Please extend my thanks once again to Sue Anderson, for reading "Making of an American."

This is a stunning memoir, and beautifully written. I've tried to find out more about the author, but have only found the names of his wife and children, and information about his other books. He wrote this when he was 33, and I wish he had written a later memoir.

There is a good article about him in the NY Times archive, but I'd have to subscribe to get it. Most likely I could find other articles in a big library.

I found LibriVox only a few months ago and am stunned by the amount I have learned about life here, in Canada, and in England, 100-180 years ago. I've even listened to some short fiction, of a type I would never have read (too preachy and moralistic), which have given me a glimpse at what reader appreciated long ago.

Thank you all for your diligent work.

--Mollie
Los Angeles
and...

Dear Ms. Anderson,

This was a lovely, lovely memoir (My Mother and I), and I thank you so much for reading it. I'm just sorry that the author didn't extend her story.

I've read several LibriVox "immigrant memoirs" now, and found them all so touching. And I keep seeming to run into books that you have read!

--Mollie
Los Angeles
All of Sue's recordings!
Thank you for your kind words about these books I have read for LibriVox. Both are important testimonies to the tangled experience of "becoming American." I was drawn to these books after finding out that my grandfather, who, at age 16, had immigrated from Germany in the 1880's, had talked with a journalist about the prejudice directed against immigrants in the United States during WWI -- prejudice which he experienced directly, and which cost him his teaching job in rural Washington State. ["A Man From the Black Forest" in Two Way Passage by Louis Adamic, 1941] Adamic's book, sadly, is not yet in the public domain and therefore I can't read it for LibriVox.

What my grandfather said to Adamic in 1940, was "I try to be calm; I think I am calm. I don't like to talk of my own private troubles in 1917. I was called a "dirty Hun" in private and in public, but my experiences were less humiliating than those of some other German Americans I knew... But now ... I am a little uneasy. I am afraid that hysteria is springing up again."

Here are some other books about the immigrant experience which I have read for LibriVox:

From Plotzk to Boston by Mary Antin: https://librivox.org/from-plotzk-to-boston-by-mary-antin/

The Soul of an Immigrant by Constantine Panunzio: https://librivox.org/the-soul-of-an-immigrant-by-constantine-panunzio/

Also by Panunzio: The Deportation Cases of 1919-1920: https://librivox.org/the-deportation-cases-of-1919-1920-by-constantine-panunzio/

Best wishes,

rkilmer
Posts: 3789
Joined: June 24th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Post by rkilmer » October 7th, 2019, 8:04 am

icequeen wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 9:38 pm
Praise received for rkilmer (Richard Kilmer) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Please let Mr. Kilmer know how much I appreciated his reading of "Log of a Cowboy." It is a stunning book, and I cried at the end when the author spoke of having to say farewell to his horses. 🐎.

I recall reading the print maybe 25-30 years ago, because I'd found the book in the UCLA Research Library, where I worked. But of course I had forgotten nearly every detail. It was such a pleasure to have it read to me while I sewed or cooked. I've recommended it to a friend whose brother (in his 70s) is getting out of the hospital and will convalesce at her house. She boards horses in Whittier, CA, and has mentioned that her brother mucks out the barn for her. So I know that he, too, is a horseman.

Thank you, thank you.

--Mollie
Los Angeles
and...
I've heard several other books read by Richard Kilmer, and now feel that he is almost a family friend. This was another fabulous book, as I am sure all are by Andy Adams. I wish that I could find out more about his life, other than as a writer. I'll have to work on that.

Please thank Mr. Kilmer once again for his efforts. I assume that he has a very supportive and indulgent wife, cooking and cleaning for him, taking out the trash, doing the yard work, and allowing him to devote all his waking hours to LibriVox.

--Mollie
All of Richard's recordings!
[quote}Mollie, Thank you for your kind words. My wife is indeed very supportive and indulgent, doing many of the things you mentioned along with doing her own recordings for LV. I also cook, clean, take care of the dog, allowing her to devote time time LV.[/quote
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." (Martin Luther King Jr.)

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 12th, 2019, 8:09 pm

rkilmer wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 8:04 am
icequeen wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 9:38 pm
Praise received for rkilmer (Richard Kilmer) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Please let Mr. Kilmer know how much I appreciated his reading of "Log of a Cowboy." It is a stunning book, and I cried at the end when the author spoke of having to say farewell to his horses. 🐎.

I recall reading the print maybe 25-30 years ago, because I'd found the book in the UCLA Research Library, where I worked. But of course I had forgotten nearly every detail. It was such a pleasure to have it read to me while I sewed or cooked. I've recommended it to a friend whose brother (in his 70s) is getting out of the hospital and will convalesce at her house. She boards horses in Whittier, CA, and has mentioned that her brother mucks out the barn for her. So I know that he, too, is a horseman.

Thank you, thank you.

--Mollie
Los Angeles
and...
I've heard several other books read by Richard Kilmer, and now feel that he is almost a family friend. This was another fabulous book, as I am sure all are by Andy Adams. I wish that I could find out more about his life, other than as a writer. I'll have to work on that.

Please thank Mr. Kilmer once again for his efforts. I assume that he has a very supportive and indulgent wife, cooking and cleaning for him, taking out the trash, doing the yard work, and allowing him to devote all his waking hours to LibriVox.

--Mollie
All of Richard's recordings!
[quote}Mollie, Thank you for your kind words. My wife is indeed very supportive and indulgent, doing many of the things you mentioned along with doing her own recordings for LV. I also cook, clean, take care of the dog, allowing her to devote time time LV.[/quote

I passed this on to Mollie for you Richard!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 12th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Praise received for Morlock (Daryl Wor) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you Daryl for the reading of "Old Rose and Silver". I would like
to thank you especially for the reading of Rose, your voice and
intonations brought her to life for me, I wanted to have her for my own.


All of Daryl's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 12th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Praise received for Margaret (Margaret Espaillat) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Librivox Admin:

I hope this message finds you well. Yesterday I just finished hearing the second version of Middlemarch fully recorded by Margaret Espaillat (https://librivox.org/middlemarch-version-2-by-george-eliot/).

To Margaret, I wanted to say that she has a beautiful voice. Moreover, I felt that she really understood the characters by showing their feelings using different voice tones.

As for me, it was my first time reading/hearing Middlemarch, so it was very nice to hear such a good novel from someone so talented. So thanks a lot Margaret.

All the best,
Jaime

All of Margaret's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 12th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Praise received for DrPGould (DrPGould) From our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Please thank Philip Gould for reading Mary Emily Donelson Wilcox's "Christmas under three flags." I really enjoyed it, and thank Dr. Gould and the person who suggested that you all produce the recording. It is a fascinating little book, and I wish that the woman had written more. (Maybe she has.)

I looked at Dr. Gould's other narrations, and see that he has many on western themes. I will be exploring them.

--Mollie
Los Angeles
and...
Dear Dr. Gould,

This was a stunning book (Recollections of Old Liverpool by a Nonagenarian! Thank you for reading it. I learned so much about very early days in Liverpool (and England) and was surprised, as I am constantly these days, by the engaging and so observant writing of these people so many generations ago.

I am having such fun with the LibriVox memoirs, and will look for more of them from other countries, not just the U.S.

Again, many thanks.

--Mollie
Los Angeles
All of DrPGould's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 12th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Praise received for kayray (Kara Shallenberg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Kara,



Thank you very much for your delightful reading of E.M. Forster’s “A Room with A view” https://librivox.org/a-room-with-a-view-by-em-forster/

It’s always been one of my favourite books and I really enjoyed listening to you read it, while I was doing a very boring piece of work.

I especially liked the way you added voices and real feeling to what you read.



Many thanks and all the very best,

Vera
and...
Just finishing up your solo reading of Dracula (version 3) and enjoying it immensely. Your rendering of dialog has just the right degree of inflection: we can tell characters apart, without it being a full-on dramatic reading. The exposition is brisk, clear, and keeps the narrative going. Dracula can be a bit of a potboiler, but this delivery does the novel every favor. Thanks for the massive work you put into it!

Bob
Laramie, WY

All of Kara's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 12th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Praise received for thadine (Joy Chan) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Joy Chan’s reading of Andrew Murray’s Absolute Surrender was fantastic. She puts much feeling into her reading, which is very much appreciated. Thank you Joy Chan!
and...
Thank you for using your beautiful God given voice to read to us all. I just found you tonight listening to you read Absolute Surrender.

Tacy
All of Joy's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 12th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Praise received for Lynnet (Lynne T) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you, Lynne T. for your reading, specifically this time for Ancestors by Gertrude Atherton! I could never have read it at this stage of my life, but enjoyed it so much and am so grateful I didn't miss it! It was fascinating to learn about old California and amazing to experience second hand the San Francisco earthquake and fire through the eyes of this brilliant writer.

You are a wonderful reader! Thank you again, so much.

Jane

All of Lynne's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22129
Joined: March 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm
Location: California

Post by icequeen » October 12th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Praise received for earthcalling (David Barnes) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
DAVID BARNES—EARTH CALLING—

BOOK—IMITAION OF CHRIST—THOMAS A KEMPIS—

https://librivox.org/the-imitation-of-christ-by-thomas-a-kempis/


Thanks, David—Wonderful reading—lovely book and lovely reading—Thanks!!

Pleasure—

Jerome

All of David's recordings!
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

Post Reply