'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Sue Anderson (Sue Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Sue,

I have listened to your "The Story of my Boyhood and Youth", by John Muir. I am currently listening to another of your narrations and I have enjoyed listening to others. I am going to download ALL of your Librivox works.

Your Librivox efforts have created a true garden of jaw dropping historical gems. Not only are they consummately narrated, but your insight in selecting works to read can not be praised enough.

I will give all of your works the five start ratings they deserve.

Thank you so much.

Roger,
DeBary, FL

All of Sue's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Cleogirl (Cate Barratt) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Ms. Barratt:

thank you so very much for reading Guizot. Any chance you could read Leopold Ranke's history of the German Reformation? Or Edward Hyde's history of the English Civil War?

Alice

All of Cate's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Niques

Post by Niques »

(I meant to send a private message but I'm too young here for that!)
Hello. This is for Marcel Coenders.

Buongiorno Heer Coenders, dag!
Ik ben Veronica, uit Italië.
Het is de eerste maal dat ik schrijf in neederlands om iemand te comuniceeren (Sorry dus voor al die fouten!)
Ik ben eens maar het aan het leren... (Ehm, dan minstens probeer er ik...)
Ik heb wat audioboek van uw gehoord!
Misschien begrijp ik niet de hele verhaal, maar ik ben zo blij dat ik elk geluid van uw taal kan onderscheiden.
U heeft een heel duidelijk stem! Dank u, dank u, dank u voor uw verplichting.
Ik wil graag even wat vragen... Welke registraties gemakkelijker zijn? Bijvoorbeld kinderboeken? Dank u wel

Groetjes
Ciao! :)

ps. Sorry, Ik kan niet dit vertalen: do you have any particular dutch accent? I'm courious about that!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

icequeen wrote:Praise received for Sue Anderson (Sue Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Sue,

I have listened to your "The Story of my Boyhood and Youth", by John Muir. I am currently listening to another of your narrations and I have enjoyed listening to others. I am going to download ALL of your Librivox works.

Your Librivox efforts have created a true garden of jaw dropping historical gems. Not only are they consummately narrated, but your insight in selecting works to read can not be praised enough.

I will give all of your works the five start ratings they deserve.

Thank you so much.

Roger,
DeBary, FL

All of Sue's recordings!

Hi Roger, Thank you very much for your kind words. John Muir's story of his youth was the first long book I ever recorded for LibriVox. I was fascinated to find that he had grown up in Wisconsin and his descriptions of the Midwest made the book very real for me.

Five star ratings for LibriVox recordings are always welcome at the Internet Archive, which hosts LibriVox's recordings on its servers. A fairly complete archive.org listing of my recordings is available on my page there. The only book listed that I didn't record is Windy McPherson's Son--archive.org has me (Sue Anderson) confused with Sherwood Anderson (not that I'm complaining). Windy McPherson's Son is a five-star LibriVox group reading of a Sherwood Anderson novel!

My new website http://www.audiobooks.oliveandseablue.com is another easy way to see all of my recordings listed in one place.

Thank you for writing, and best wishes,
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

stromstoff wrote:I want to thank Sue Anderson and David Barnes (earthcalling) for their work and contributions to librivox.org!

All of Sue's recordings!
All of David's recordings!

I've used samples of their recordings in another remix:
https://soundcloud.com/stromstoff/william-mavor-wots-stromstoff-remix

I unfortunately can't message them directly, this feature is not yet available for me
Hello Stromstoff, Thanks very much for giving me credit for my recording of Words of Two Syllables from LibriVox's Insomnia Collection https://librivox.org/insomnia-collection-vol-2/ in your SoundCloud Remix! I had a lot of fun with that recording, as can be deduced from the what I wrote about it on my website, http://www.audiobooks.oliveandseablue.com/category/miscellany/odd-bits/ where you can also see a page from William Mavor's old spelling book.

Being, myself, technologically antediluvian, I had never heard of SoundCloud and I can't honestly figure out what it's all about (maybe you can enlighten me?), but it's creative and that's what counts. I enjoyed hearing Mavor (and myself) mixed up in your Remix!

Best wishes,
stromstoff

Post by stromstoff »

Sue Anderson wrote:
stromstoff wrote:I want to thank Sue Anderson and David Barnes (earthcalling) for their work and contributions to librivox.org!

All of Sue's recordings!
All of David's recordings!

I've used samples of their recordings in another remix:
https://soundcloud.com/stromstoff/william-mavor-wots-stromstoff-remix

I unfortunately can't message them directly, this feature is not yet available for me
Hello Stromstoff, Thanks very much for giving me credit for my recording of Words of Two Syllables from LibriVox's Insomnia Collection https://librivox.org/insomnia-collection-vol-2/ in your SoundCloud Remix! I had a lot of fun with that recording, as can be deduced from the what I wrote about it on my website, http://www.audiobooks.oliveandseablue.com/category/miscellany/odd-bits/ where you can also see a page from William Mavor's old spelling book.

Being, myself, technologically antediluvian, I had never heard of SoundCloud and I can't honestly figure out what it's all about (maybe you can enlighten me?), but it's creative and that's what counts. I enjoyed hearing Mavor (and myself) mixed up in your Remix!

Best wishes,
If you send an email to email removed by admin, I'd love to enlighten you :) (I can't yet use the personal message feature here on librivox, as I have too few posts)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I have removed your email address because we do have bots that visit, looking for things, such as emails, to harvest for their nefarious purposes.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
RDHaas

Post by RDHaas »

I wanted to post a note of gratitude for the readers David Means ("earthcalling") and Peter Yearsley ("Peter Why"), whose renditions of certain books and good taste in their selections have inspired me to join the forums and perhaps become a LibriVox reader myself!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you, that's enormously encouraging. I thought I had a rather peculiar taste in projects: you've surely not listened to them all!

David (that's David Barnes) hasn't been on the forum for a few years ... which is a shame, as we had a lot of fun when we met for our "U.K. LibriVox Chapter" recordings.

Do have a go; it's surprisingly easy once you've got through the initial setting up, and can become quite a dominant hobby. I've been at it for over ten years now.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for trioptimum (Chris Chapman) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I refer to his recording of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

I wish to thank him for his recording, and in particular for the heroic
mode he adopted in reading it aloud. He read it as if it were an epic
poem -- precisely the way, I think, Gibbon would have wanted.

I only wish he had read the entire work, though I understand why he
collaborated on such a long book.

All of Chris' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I just finished listening to Huckleberry Finn and what a treat it was! I had read it in school years ago, but hearing it 'in dialect' was amazing. Thanks so much for all that work!!!

and...

The book I am refering to is „The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes“, https://librivox.org/the-adventures-of-sherlock-holmes-by-sir-arthur-conan-doyle-2/

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for reading for librivox.

I found this page by ‚accident‘, I was browsing for audiobooks and I am really happy to have found librivox. I used to live abroad for a couple of years and I miss listening to English (I am afraid I will lose my language skills, since I am back in Germany now and I don’t listen or speak to native English speakers anymore) – and I also miss the great time I have had abroad, besides the English language... So anyways, that was the reason why I was searching for English audiobooks – and it helps! I feel less lonely back home (odd to say that).

So I wanted to express my gratitude. I am just writing to say, it’s a pleasure to listen to your reading! You really do a great job and it is very much appreciated by me and also by others, I am sure!

So thanks again! It’s really great you volunteered for that!!!

All the best from Berlin and please keep up the good work,
Eva

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Mermaid (Mil Nicholson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I would like to thank Mil Nicholson for her reading of Bleak House.

Ms. Nicholson,

I would like to thank you for your reading of Bleak House. I really found it excellent, particularly the way you made Esther come so vividly to life. I have heard people comment that she is too one-dimensional, but I think if there heard all the shades of complexity and charm your reading gave to her, they would change their minds. And your breadth of characterization for the bus-load of characters in this book is nothing short of astonishing--there was only one case where I thought one voice sounded a bit too close at first (Krook and Grandfather Smallweed), but I began to hear, first, how they were not so alike as I first supposed, and how, to the extent they do, it works on a thematic level because Grandfather Smallweed, as it were, takes over Krook's role in the story after his spontaneous combustion. Again, thank you for all your hard work--I have since started your version of "Nicholas Nickleby" and I am already delighted with it.

Sincerely,
Kevin
Perrysburg, OH

and...

Thank you Mil Nicholson, for your great reading of this classic book (The Old Curiosity Shop, and also the character Voices that you use, it made it addictive listening, looking forward to finding many more books with your voice recording of them. Billy ?

All of Mil's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Rowland (Lars Rolander) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I fear that I am too late to thank Lars, but just in case, I have thoroughly enjoyed his reading of L’Morte d’Arthur (Vol 1 and Vol 2. He did a fantastic job in the detail, and his reading of it kept me thoroughly entertained. I have listened to the whole thing probably 3 times now. I am writing a novel about that era and listening while I am out running, preparing for marathons and half marathons, then reading, has been exceptionally valuable to me. I don’t think I would have ever come up with the idea of the novel if it had not been for Lars and his particular style in the recording of it. Many thanks for a fantastic job!
Ed, retired lawyer, Ph.D. and lover of romance literature (not romantic)

All of Lars' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Karen Savage,

I would like to sincerely complement you on your reading of Hugh Loftings's
The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (version 2).

I really enjoyed your reading. The way you manage to stay consistent in your 'voices' throughout the book is really well done. You swifts from narrator to personages with such ease and persission. Also the little accents you manage to give some of the caracters really makes me feel like I am present there. I refer to a scene like in chapter , The Great Bullfight, all the Spanish accents, especially one lady from the audience who screems, 'let him live,stop the fight...". ..it was hillarious...Well done.

I listen to many librivox recordings, in Dutch (my mother tongue, as well as English), also many other books you have read. All very well done. But after finishing the Voyages of Doctor Dolittle I thought let me finally thank you and compliment you.

With kind regards,

Aike
the Netherlands

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Karen,

Every day I spend about 30 minutes in my car commuting to and from work. I learned about LibriVox a year ago, and as my sister had recommended I read Anne of Green Gables, I thought I'd give it a listen on my drives. Your audio recordings are awesome!! You bring all the characters to life so well, sometimes I forget I'm listening to an audiobook and I feel like I'm really there. I've been interspersing Anne books with others, and it was a great surprise when I heard your voice in a British accent announcing the narration of The Secret Garden too. I wanted to thank you for recording all of these books. It must have taken you a great deal of time. I really appreciate it. I enjoy my commutes now, and it's actually hard to tear myself out of the car if I'm in the middle of a chapter. Thank you so much!

Katie

Librivox books: https://librivox.org/anne-of-green-gables-by-lucy-maud-montgomery-3/
Reader: Karen Savage

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!