'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for thadine (Joy Chan) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I'd like to thank JOY CHAN for her impeccable work on the KJV of the Bible. Thanks to her im able to listen at work. She speaks clearly and loudly. She also has a pleasant sounding voice.

Thank You!
All of Joy's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ahab

Post by ahab »

Aleks, thank you so very much for these kind words! I'm so happy that the recording was a good experience for you.

Best wishes,
Stewart
icequeen wrote: October 12th, 2021, 9:33 pm Praise received for ahab (Stewart Wills) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to thank Mr. Stewart Wills for his astounding and excellent reading of Moby-Dick, or the Whale. That he succeeded in giving life to this enormous novel - and for free, no less! - is an amazing feat. I am always caught off-guard when he manages to catch the right tone for one of those Melvillean, unspooling sentences, which seem to go on forever. The pitch of his voice captures precisely how it is meant to be read, whether it is in a sarcastic remark (e.g, the hilarious takedowns of various pseudosciences of Melville's time), an existential ruminating (too many to list!) or just the general narrative. Mr. Willis succeeds in making Moby-Dick flow as smooth as the sea, yet it can be rough (in the best of ways!) and attention-grabbing when it must be.

Furthermore, I can't commend enough the fact that he gave each character a distinct voice of his own - from Ishmael to Ahab. I have to confess, however, that out of all voices, Stubb has to be my favourite: whether it is his unique way of calling on to sailors to row or rig more intensely, or his sanctimonious preaching (reaching an absurd length in Ch. 64, which is frankly one of the funniest chapters in the book!), Mr. Wills always grabs me. Thank you so much!

Grateful for your effort,
Aleks.

All of Stewart's recordings!
babalou

Post by babalou »

To Peter Dann, thanks for your reading. Please read An Outcast of the Islands.
Chris
Chris
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Paul Adams (Paul Adams) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you Paul for your reading of this book. I have been listening to audiobooks, especially Dickens, while walking in lockdown in Sydney, Australia. your voice is easy to hear in the traffic and more importantly you make the story sound as if Dickens is telling it.

Catherine

All of Paul's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Delmar H Dolbier (Delmar H Dolbier) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Delmar Dolbier was brillilant in this audio version of The Octopus. I live in a small town and our libraries are fairly small as well. I am tutoring some home schooled students in American Lit this year, and their book contained excerpts from The Octopus, which I was not familiar with, having previously read only "A Deal in Wheat" by Norris. How I have enjoyed this recording! It’s an important book, as I now understand its place in American Lit and history and have appreciate the enormous relevance as we continue to deal with Big Pharma and Big Tech in much the same way that we see the Railroad portrayed in the book. In addition, I enjoyed Mr. Dolbier’s expressive and well-crafted delivery of the story.

THANK YOU for this resource. It’s a gift much appreciated.
Kristi

All of Delmar's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Talespinner (Daryl Hanson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you Daryl Hanson for your reading of the 1950 novel An Earthman on Venus by Ralph Milne Farley (https://librivox.org/an-earthman-on-venus-version-2-by-ralph-milne-farley/). Listening to old science fictions while exercising and driving sure makes those tasks more enjoyable. I like your reading and looked to see what else you have read... The Radio Beasts, great! I look forward to listening to that one too. Thanks for volunteering!

Jon
Alexis, NC

All of Daryl's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Rowen (Lizzie Driver) and AGSec (Graham Redman) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Librivox,
My primary genre is history and government, and I also want to say I have not listened to a recorder that I can't understand or do not like. So even though I might not have heard all of your people, I love all of them and want to thank them always. Especially, of course, Lizzie Driver and also Graham Redman.
Charles
Corvallis OR US

All of Lizzie's recordings!
all of Graham's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for circuitloss (Dominic Moore) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Truly amazing work. Such detail and emotion comes through in your voice and words. Thank you for allowing me to enjoy your telling of these stories. I searched youtube to see if you have any other audio books that i could listen to but found none. Again thank you.

Sincerely
Steve

All of Dominic's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Elin (Elin) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I email to thank Elin for her reading of DK Broster's "The Flight of the Heron".
I read this book thirty years ago and when I came across the Librivox recording by chance I thought I would listen whilst I knitted in lockdown.
I was most impressed and engaged by Elin's reading.Her voice was pleasant and expressive, not only in her delivery of the descriptive passages, but especially in her sensitive interpretation and voicing of the character's thoughts and feelings - both Ewan's and Keith's, which are central to the story of the unlikely friendship. It really did justice to Broster's story and rekindled my love for the characters.
I hope that may be in the future Elin will read the next two books that make up The Jacobite Trilogy - The Gleam in the North and The Dark Mile. They would be a treat to hear her read.
With thanks again for this delightful, serendipitous find - Elin's reading of the story has been companionable and most enjoyable. Bravo.
With thanks and cheers,
Helen in Healesville Australia

All of Elin's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for philchenevert (Phil Chenevert) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
A joyful thank you to Phil Chenevert for his fantastic readings of both Pinocchio and
Huckleberry Finn! Your ability to read well in such a wide variety of voices makes in a great
pleasure to listen to you read!
Bless you!
Mary

All of Phil's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gioachin (Filippo Gioachin) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
For the book Cuore of de Amicis - a deeply felt thank you note for his exquisite reading and his impact on my personal memories.

Per il libro Cuore di de Amicis - una nota di immensa gratitudine per i bei momenti che mi ha donato, ascoltando la sua superba interpretazione. Grazie mille.

All of Filippo's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for TonyPS214 (Tony Scheinman) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Your reading of “The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar” is the first I have ever found that recognizes the “M.” as a title rather than an initial. Thank you. There are certain moments in the text, especially in addresses to the patient where calling him “M.” would be absurd. Martin Donnegan and Edward Blake have published readings containing this absurdity. Congratulations for recognizing what Poe, with his intimate knowledge of French customs, must have known. I intend to listen to others of your readings.

chymocles

All of Tony's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for BobR (Bob R) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of The Painted Veil:
I’ve been waiting for this book to appear on librivox and was very happy when it did. Thank you for your sensitive reading and also for your excellent summary of the novel. I hope you will read other novels soon, or that I will run into them in the catalogue.

Merci beaucoup!

Merry in New Orleans

All of Bob's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Mermaid (Mil Nicholson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I have enjoyed so many of your readings over the years. I especially love the Charles Dickens novels. I belong to a Dickens Fellowship and we do a close reading of one novel per year, reading about 10 chapters a month. I always listen to your recordings and find them very meaningful. You must have drama training as your different voices are wonderful. I’ve loved the more popular Dickens’ novels and now we are reading Barnaby Rudge, not one of the favorites. Listening to you read is helping me to understand and like the novel more.

Many thanks for your excellent work. I know you have devoted a great amount of time and effort and I hope you know it is appreciated by many.

Sincerely,

Merry
New Orleans, LA
USA
and...
RE: https://librivox.org/the-old-curiosity-shop-by-charles-dickens-2/

Dear Mil Nicholson,

This weekend I finished listening to your The Old Curiosity Shop. I’m as sure as I can be I read the book once before, maybe thirty years ago, but not much felt very familiar this time. My conclusion is that I did indeed read it, but that the voices I created in my head couldn’t hold a candle to the ones your voice put in my head, the latter being so much alive that they are the voices and tone I will recall in another thirty years. You voice the heroic and the villainous in mighty fine ways, as well as everybody in between. Thank you so very much for your artistry and effort.

Amy

All of Mil's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for neustar (Bob Neufeld) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Neufeld,
Bravo! I wish to express my sincere thanks for your recordings. In the first book of A Tale of Two Cities, when you read, "Weep for it, Weep for it" I was genuinely and throughly moved! I felt the Sorrow, the Anguish, as never before from listening to any audiobook. Absolutely spectacular! Were there a corresponding Academy Award category, you are certainly deserving of the honor! Bravo! Bravo to you, Sir! My highest praise for your reading, and Thank You, very much, for such great entertainment and an unparalleled audio experience!
Sincerely,
Dan

PS, I have listened also to your version of " Bartleby The Scrivener", and am likewise very thankful. But that passage referenced above, it's just off the charts! Bravo! Bravo! Bravo, and Standing Ovation!
and...
https://librivox.org/the-republic-version-2-by-plato/

This was a phenomenal reading! I'm not one oft given to leaving reviews or adding to the deluge of emails one gets regularly, but I simply had to express my appreciation. Bob's voice, while magnificent on its own, was tremendously suited for this title. It added so much depth that the reader's voice mirrored the "narrator's" implied characteristics, and it was well-read, well-paced, and well-inflected. Even his tone shift for different characters allowed the listener to discern that there was another character speaking prior to the ""__" x said" without shifting to the point of comedy. Truly can't say enough about how much I enjoyed it. Will certainly listen to it many times and will search out his other readings. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Matt

All of Bob's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!