'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for NCarrington (TRUEBRIT) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Perfect diction, varied inflection and an engaging delivery. You really are a joy to listen to. Thank you!

A

All of TRUEBRIT's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Paul Adams (Paul Adams) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of A Tale of Two Cities:
I would like to thank Paul Adams for his excellent reading of this book. I enjoyed it very much and appreciate him being a librivox reader.
---Cathy

All of Paul's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for xesands (Xe Sands) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I can’t imagine Edna Ferber’s “Buttered Side Down” without the insight your voice lends to it. You have certainly captured the pathos of these stories in a most memorable way. Thank you for your contribution to my “reading” pleasure. I am an 82-year-old widow. Discovering Librivox has changed the rhythm of my days.

All of Xe's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

Charles Dickens 200th Anniversary Collection Vol. 3
https://librivox.org/charles-dickens-200th-anniversary-collection-vol-3/

Praise to all the volunteers who made it possible to me to have a great pleasure and usefulness to hear this collection! 🙏
All the best wishes! 💚
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄
xesands

Post by xesands »

icequeen wrote: May 18th, 2021, 9:33 pm Praise received for xesands (Xe Sands) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I can’t imagine Edna Ferber’s “Buttered Side Down” without the insight your voice lends to it. You have certainly captured the pathos of these stories in a most memorable way. Thank you for your contribution to my “reading” pleasure. I am an 82-year-old widow. Discovering Librivox has changed the rhythm of my days.
Gracious! I just found both your comments, Icequeen - how incredibly kind of you. Thank you so much (and I hope it's alright to reply here). May you have many more years of joyful listening!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Adrian (Adrian Praetzellis) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you for the pleasure I received from listening to your reading of “The Thirty-nine Steps” by John Buchan. Your use of authentic dialect added much to my enjoyment!
and...
Thank you Adrian for reading Treasure Island. I have been enjoying listening to it on my drive to work in traffic. You do a good job on different voices and the irish accent for long john. It makes it interesting and fun to listen to. That's so nice of you to take the time to read the entire thing. I like listening to it better with a single narrator because you get comfortable and used to them and it adds to the continuity of the story that you are listening to.

All of Adrian's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for chocoholic (Laurie Anne Walden) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you for your reading of Riders of the Purple Sage.

I read the book many years ago and thought about re-reading it. It was one of my personal favorites. But, aging eyes make it difficult to read for more than a few minutes at a time. I listened to one or two chapters per night and looked forward to the sound of your voice as much as the story.

Thank you for a lovely reading.

All of Laurie Anne's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for THynes (Tadhg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear "Tadhg", thank you for your superb dramatic rendition of Jude the Obscure, which I really enjoyed! The skill with which you read this very interesting novel, and your mastery of various accents to represent the different characters, and even the pronunciation of the church Latin, makd me wonder if you may be a professional voice actor. It certainly was a challenging undertaking, given the length of the novel. Bravo!

All of Tadhg's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gloriana (Elizabeth Klett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Elizabeth Klett
This is to thank you for a number of book readings of yours that I have listened to in the last few weeks. I am in my eightieth year, English born and living in Australia. A tiresome illness has confined me to my bed and, of all calamities, reading for lengthy periods has become difficult.

Thanks to you a new pleasure has come to me in being read to. Several of Jane Austen 's first (starting with Persuasion) some Anne of Green Gables, then Fanny Burney's Evalina and Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence and then The House of Mirth, finished this morning amidst floods of tears.

I have always been an avid reader and I realise now that my desire to get to what happens next has often led to my missing subtler things in the writing. Listening has brought many things to my consciousness which I had missed in my haste, especially in Jane Austen. (Thank you so much for the lovely voice you give to poor Miss Bates, who is so worthy of kind treatment).
You are a pleasure to listen to and your pace of reading also is perfect to my mind.

I read that you are a lecturer in literature and I have noticed something in Emma which I have never heard commented on before so I mention it in case it is of interest. Of course, one starts reading remembering the BLUNDER Frank Churchill is going to refer to in the word game with Emma and Jane Fairfax. What I realised as I listened to the book was how often Jane Austen uses the words "blunder" or "blunders" in the story. I got intrigued and noted five examples apart from the anticipated one. It's only trivia, I know, but when you teach such small details can be intriguing and spark an interest so I offer this in case it may be useful. Different versions of the book make it difficult to be exact as to placing the occurrences but if you use a version with consecutively numbered chapters, this may help find them:-
- On about the seventh page of chapter 34 Jane Fairfax talks of the post office and the fact that there is seldom any negligence or blunder.
- On the last or second last pages of Chapter 50, Frank Churchill talks of his own blunder which he had previously raved about as "blunders of the post.".
- On the sixth or seventh page of Chapter 52 "the impossibility of any blunder on Mrs Elton's side" is mentioned.
- On the last page of chapter 54 Frank Churchill laughingly explains to Emma the blunder about Mr Perry's carriage.

Frustratingly there is another reference where Emma, speaking to Mr Knightley of her mistaken idea that Mr Elton was in love with Harriet, mentions a "series of strange blunders" but I must have noted wrongly where it appeared because I cannot find it now.

Was this conscious use on Jane's part or did the blunders just keep putting themselves forward? Anyway I have laboured this long enough and just hope that you might find it interesting.

Thank you so very much for the great pleasure your readings have given me and, I am certain, countless others. I hope you enjoy a richly deserved pleasure in your labours.

Sincerely yours,
Marion
and...
Dear Ms. Klett,

Having read and only slightly enjoyed Jane Eyre 20 years ago, I was unprepared for how much better I would like it in your voice. Your rendering has allowed me to fully enjoy the book; it is now in my top five favorites.

Your skill with British English and French is matched only by your ability to consistently inflect the voices of various characters.

It must have been a tremendous amount of work to do the reading / recording. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for undertaking the task and bringing this book alive for me.

Regards,

-Eric
Gainesville, GA
and...
https://librivox.org/lady-audleys-secret-by-mary-elizabeth-braddon/

My wife and I would like to extend our thanks for your wonderful reading of 'Lady Audley's Secret.' You really brought the characters to life. We are currently just at the point where Robert Audley is about to meet the dying Luke Marks. We really don't want the story to end and a large part of that is due to your expressive reading.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this book for the world.

Owen and Anthea.
and...
--I would like to thank Elizabeth Klett on her excellent reading of the Jane Austin novels that I have been listening to. I would like to know if there are other books that she has read.

Jill

All of Elizabeth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for msfry (Michele Fry) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Michele - Thank you for being a LibriVox reader. You have a great voice, you articulate well and your accent just enhances the stories! I'm losing count as to how many times I've listened to "The Rose of Dixie" from O. Henry's Options. It really makes me smile.

Thank you again!
Mary Anne

All of Michele's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for kayray (Kara Shallenberg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello LibriVox,

Please pass on my thanks to Kara Shallenberg for reading "The Adventures Of Sally" by Wodehouse. I really enjoyed it.

All the best

Owen

All of Kara's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for dormouse3 (Mike Harris) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear LibriVox,

Please thank Mike Harris for reading "The Man Upstairs" by Wodehouse, at times it was actually laugh out loud!

All the best

Owen

All of Mike's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Bernard (Bernard) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Bonsoir,

Depuis 1 an, je suis à la recherche de Bernard, un lecteur bénévole librivox qui a notamment enregistré LA COMÉDIE HUMAINE de Honoré de Balzac. Tout d'abord, je souhaite lui adresser mes plus sincères remerciements pour sa lecture absolument somptueuse de cette œuvre majeure, qui berce mes après midi depuis le premier confinement.

Mais mon message a un objectif plus grand qu'un simple remerciement.

Pendant ces après midi de repos et d'écoute active, j'ai noué un lien avec une personne très chère à mes yeux. Ce lien s'est tellement renforcé au cours de ces moments en "compagnie" de Bernard que les sentiments sont nés. A l'aube de l'anniversaire de la fin de premier confinement, un autre anniversaire me réjoui : à la fin d'un épisode des scènes de la vie privée, j'ai pris courage à deux mains et j'ai avoué mes sentiments à l'élu de mon cœur. Depuis, pas un jour ne passe sans que nous évoquions Bernaud, dont la voix a été le terrain de jeu de nos premiers sentiments amoureux.

Aujourd'hui, pour fêter cette année qui a été la plus belle de nos vies, je voulais tout simplement demander une faveur à Bernard... un petit message vocal, souhaitant en toute simplicité un joyeux anniversaire à l'amour de ma vie, Victor.

Une bouteille à la mer sans doute.

Mais je devais tenter.

Merci infiniment Bernard pour ce que vous faites, vous n’avez pas idée de l'impact que vous pouvez avoir sur la vie des gens.

Et bravo à toute l'équipe Librivox pour votre merveilleux travail.

En vous souhaitant tous le bonheur du monde.

Estelle

All of Bernard's recordings
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for mongope (Mongope) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
THANK YOU so very, very much for your great pronunciation/intonation/reading!!! THANK YOU!!!

Happy days!!

Saludos cordiales,

FM

All of Mongope's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for peastman (Peter Eastman) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Wanted to thank Peter Eastman for his wonderful reading of THE LEGION OF LAZARUS. Have just begun listening to your reading of THE LAZARUS LEGION and am impressed with your ability to bring the listener into the story. You’re telling is a pleasure to listen to ... Stay healthy, stay safe and live well... Thank you for this little treasure Peter Eastman ☺️

All of Peter's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!