'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I recently finished listening to your outstanding reading of Jane Austen’s Mansfield Park (https://librivox.org/mansfield-park-by-jane-austen-version-2/), and just wanted to express my gratitude for your having made this freely available on Librivox. I generally download audiobooks from Overdrive through my local library, but Jane Austen titles are popular and generally have a waiting list. I am delighted that you have done some entire books solo -- including 4 Jane Austen novels -- and that now I can keep them to listen to any time I want to. I look forward to hearing to more of your work.
Thank you so much!
--Joan
and...
Ms. Karen Savage,

I love your reading of Pride and Prejudice. I used to read a lot, but
it's getting harder as I get older. I just discovered P&P on YouTube
and listened. I didn't realize how much fun listening to books could
be! I found your LibriVox page and am now into Persuasion. I will be
listening to all your Jane Austen books, and will then move on to other
classics. Your voice is so clear and easy to understand, and I love
your accent!

I also donated to LibriVox, of course!

Thanks so much!

Becky
Dallas, TX
and...
Good morning, Miss. Savage,

I want to thank you for your beautiful reading of many of the Anne of Green Gables Series. I really wish you had done a reading of all of them...did I miss some of them? So far I heard all your readings except for "Anne of Windy Poplars" which was painful to hear being read by another reader. I am now going through and listening to "Anne's House of Dreams".

The hard wok and the sacrifice time you put in is very well appreciated, you have brought joy to me and to countless others.

God bless you,
Shpresa

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for 2peltons (Mike Pelton) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his reading of the short story A Change of Treatment:
I would like to thank you for this story, it was read so well. I wish you would do more of W.W. Jacobs' stories.

All of Mike's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ChipDoc (Chip) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Chip,

I thoroughly enjoyed your reading of “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” I had never read it before, I’m embarrassed to admit since I am an English professor! But seeing the film of the same title, produced by Tim Burton, motivated me to read the story, and your audio recording was the perfect way to do so. You have a very nice voice, and your reading succeeded in capturing the subtle underlying humor throughout the story. I will look for more of your recordings to listen to.

Thank you and all the best,

Elizabeth

All of Chip's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for johng (John Greenman) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
John Greenman for the sustained brilliance—and wit—of his Mark Twain readings, all of them. As Twain might say, a performance of inestimable value cheap at twice the price.
and...

Mr. John Greenman,

I truly enjoy listening to your reading of this book. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Not that the book does not have life in it, however the way you read it and the changing of voices makes my mind to actually picture the events and people as it occurs. I do thank you very much.

Sincerely

Darren
All of John's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for dlslider (Darren Slider) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you, Darren L. Slider, Fort Worth, Texas!
Alison

All of Darren's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for rkeiper (Robert Keiper) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Keiper,

WOW!!! You are such an exceptional reader! Since the pandemic began, I’ve listened to The Window at the White Cat probably 20 times — when I’m falling asleep, gardening, driving, or working around the house. I should branch out but I just find your voice so entertaining, amusing, and reassuring. (“I am only 35, as far as that goes…” — your inflection is perfect and it cracks me up every time!) You’ve ruined me for other readers; honestly, no one can hold a candle to you. What a gift/skill! I hope you’ll read more books for the public domain.

I hope you and your family are staying healthy.

All the best,

Carol

All of Robert's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gloriana (Elizabeth Klett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I love the site as a whole but particularly loved Elizabeth Klett’s version of House of Mirth. A great book read very well. I’ve also enjoyed versions of Moby Dick, Brothers Karamazov, Confessions of Rousseau and others. Thank you for all the great work you do!

and...

Dear Ms Klett,

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart for your adept, graceful and emotionally powerful interpretations of The House of Mirth and Passing. I read Passing for a book discussion, since I wasn't able to get it from my library in time, and was astonished at how masterfully you conveyed each character and the emotional tension of the scenes. I then started looking specifically for works you've recorded and chose House of Mirth for my daily walk. Knowing I would get to listen to your interpretation every day has actually made me look forward to exercising! Thanks so much for helping me maintain my intellectual as well as my physical health.

Sincerely,

Lesley

All of Elizabeth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Cleogirl (Cate Barratt) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Cate,

I have just finished listening to 813 by Maurice LaBlanc. You do a
fantastic job!! You do not read the story, you tell the story! It was a
delight to listen.

Thank you,

Rick

All of Cate's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Leesma (Lee Smalley) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
THANK YOU Mr. Smalley!!!! I have just finished "The Shadow". Such an action filled book. I loved it! I have listened to several other of your recordings and enjoy your voice! Thank you seems hardly enough for the great amount of entertainment you have provided for me.
Great story, great reading! All the elements for a wonderful movie too. I would love to see his "travels" mapped out as I’m not familiar with the place in the west of South America mentioned. Luckily he had funds to take him all over. I wonder what it really would have been like to travel as he did. It was nice to share the hi lights of the story with my husband as we are spending soooo much time together as we socially distance. 😬
I look forward to finding another book you narrated to listen to now.
Please stay safe in these troubling times.
Thank you very much for all your work!
Lynn

All of Lee's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for dread (Bill Boerst) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear you

I would like to say my thanks to Mr Bill Boerst.
I’ve listened to him thousands time the books abc of the vegetable gardening and his voice is amazing.

Many thanks to you. If he has facebook or Twitter or any social network account, may I have it to follow him?

Thanks and best regards,
Ha

All of Bill's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Adrian (Adrian Praetzellis) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Praetzellis

When I turned 8 years old, my big birthday gift was a Sansa Fuse media player. My dad loaded it with many books and songs for me to explore. Listening through the audiobooks, I found your reading of Through the looking glass. At the time, I had bad anxiety problems and listening to your voice was immeasurably helpful in getting me to sleep. This went on for a few years.

I'm now 19. After suffering a recent breakup, I had very potent insomnia. I'd gotten very used to having someone next to me while falling asleep. After searching lightly, I found your reading on youtube. I decided to start listening again, as no other sleeping techniques had worked. I listened to the first chapter and a half, perfectly mimicking your pronunciations, intonations, and pauses with the years of practice I'd gathered. And I was asleep.

Thank you for dedicating your time to the ease of access of literature. Thank you for returning my sanity twice.

Well restedly,

--
Aedan

All of Adrian's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for mrwemmick (Peter John Keeble) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I wanted to thank Mr Keeble for his wonderful gift of reading aloud! I finished his reading of Great Expectations and I don't know if I could have gotten through it without him reading. I'm really excited for my 10 year old son, Connor, to listen to him read Oliver Twist this year for part of our homeschool literature reading. Just wanted to pass on some appreciation for such a wonderful voice. We could listen all day long.

Samantha

All of Peter's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MARTIN GEESON (Martin Geeson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
dear mr geeson,
I would like to thank you very much after listening to "confessions of an english opium eater" by thomas de quincey, for your wonderful accent and for the dramaticity of your reading, that turned the story into such a more delightful experience.
hope to listen to other books read by you soon!
best wishes,
augusto (brazil)
and...
Book title:

Oscar Wilde: His Life & Confessions.

Hi Martin,

I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am that you chose to volunteer for Librivox.

I first discovered your vocal finesse while listening to Oscar Wilde: His Life & Confessions, by Keith Harris, a book I have listened to over and over again while isolated alone here in Spain due to the Plague.

Your vocal abilities are astonishing; you bring everyone to life. I will forever assign your voice to that of Oscar, not to mention Keith Harris, Bosie et al. The book is so well written but you do truly bring it to life.

Not only that, but you have also introduced me to so many authors of which I was not aware. Because I find your voice so soothing, authoritative & captivating, I search your Librivox page whenever I am in need of a new read; herein I find Balzac & others, so many new treats, so many new gifts.

I sincerely hope you & yours are safe - and Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

With total gratitude and respect,

Daniel

and...
Dear Mr. Geeson:

It was a long hard summer here in California. I am a high school English teacher. There was much isolation due to Covid. So, it is with great thanks that I write to say how much your voice keep me alive. Your reading with Zola’s Assommoir was a life saver! Morning, afternoon, or evening, I couldn’t wait to get to my listening.

Your reading, which was my favorite, has a humane quality to it. You infuse each character’s voice with both gravitas and humor. Each chapter flowed beautifully. You put me with Gervaise and her cast of characters.

Now, when I look for Librivox books, I will not search by author but by reader. I am looking forward to hearing bring more texts alive.

With best wishes,

James

All of Martin's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for chymocles (Thomas A. Copeland) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you for your reading of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. It was accurately read with feeling and nuance. I love librivox recordings but often wince as readers stumble over unfamiliar words but your reading was assured and convincing and I very much enjoyed listening as I undertook my chores during lockdown.

All of Thomas' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I want to thank Mark F Smith for the joy he gave me to listen to Around the World in Eighty Days. He was the perfect reader for the story… which was new to me.

Sincere thanks!

Anna

Salt Lake City, UT

and...
Dear Mark Smith from Simpsonville, South Carolina,

I have gotten into the habit of listening to audiobooks to help me fall asleep. Thus far I have listened to you read all of The Three Musketeers and am currently listening to The Mysterious Island. You are an excellent and enthusiastic reader and I can tell you enjoy reading it as much as I do listening to it.

I just bought a microphone and plan to start volunteering as a reader as well. Thanks again for undoubtedly reading many people bedtime stories. Have a wonderful week and take care!

- Andrew of Houston Texas
All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!